Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

As J. W. Marriott said: "What do I know; I'm the past". A hotel is closed down because it is "outdated". It doesn't offer what today's traveler wants. So, please tell me what it is that today's traveler wants from a hotel? Clean room and bath. Good restaurant with three squares a day and good service. The newer ones have computer and coffee maker in the room. That's an addition and, I suppose, a luxury.

Anyway, unless the traveler wants to just sit in the hotel all day and read a good book or watch the idiot box (both of which he could have done at home cheaper, what more is there? I thought travelers visited a city to see the sights or take part in activities, fun or business. A hotel was a place to come "home" to between trips out and about.

Can we talk about this? What are today's hotels expected to provide other than those basics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I agree that we travel to explore a city, and a hotel (for us) is just a place to rest and change clothes. So I don't really need attractions inside the hotel, a bar, or a fancy lobby.

What do I need (or at least really really want)?:

--I do need free wifi in my room, though. If I'm travelling abroad I'll tolerate going to the lobby to check my internet, but I really prefer places where I can do that in my room. I have reached a point where I will not stay in a hotel if it doesn't have wifi.

--A tv in fairly good working order with a variety of channels is appreciated, since I tend to flip through the channels after coming home at night.

--Which reminds me, since all my neighbors are doing the same good sound proofing is also important.

-A clean bathroom is essential. Don't care if it has granite, but I hate bathrooms that look rundown. A hotel with good water pressure in the shower is one I'll return to.

-- We like hotels that provide a good continental breakfast, as well.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
For me it would depend if it's a destination/vacation sort of hotel or a general/business travel type.

For both these are my wishes: wi-fi included, clean!, updated bathrooms, lots of outlets, modern TV (need not be huge or have 10000 channels).

If I'm at a destination location, an in-house restaurant is less important to me than would be free/included parking, conti breakfast (get the day going), and coffee and late-night snack type arrangement.

At a business hotel I'd be slightly more inclined to want a full restaurant, but a comfortable lounge would be desirable.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I agree that we travel to explore a city, and a hotel (for us) is just a place to rest and change clothes. So I don't really need attractions inside the hotel, a bar, or a fancy lobby.

What do I need (or at least really really want)?:

--I do need free wifi in my room, though. If I'm travelling abroad I'll tolerate going to the lobby to check my internet, but I really prefer places where I can do that in my room. I have reached a point where I will not stay in a hotel if it doesn't have wifi.

--A tv in fairly good working order with a variety of channels is appreciated, since I tend to flip through the channels after coming home at night.

--Which reminds me, since all my neighbors are doing the same good sound proofing is also important.

-A clean bathroom is essential. Don't care if it has granite, but I hate bathrooms that look rundown. A hotel with good water pressure in the shower is one I'll return to.

-- We like hotels that provide a good continental breakfast, as well.
Yu saved me a lot f typing because I agree with your post 100%

Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
The bed is most important. It needs to have a great mattress, clean fluffy linens, many pillows, and be super comfortable. Also, everything needs to be clean! The bathroom needs to have a tub and a shower and once again be clean! A nice television is important...flat screen with working remote. Also, it needs to have updated central heat and air...not one of those loud wall things that sounds like a semi is starting up every time it comes on. It should be quiet and not have bright lights shining in the window.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:32 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
I travel more for business than recreation.

Good solid walls, so that I don't have to listen to the folks in the next room, Good hot water supply and working plumbing are a must.
I like a hotel with a decent restaurant. I end up working 12-16 hours, and I just want a simple meal when I get back to the hotel. It doesn't have to be fancy, just decent and unpretentious. Also, a good breakfast at reasonable prices, so I don't have to out and find the local Waffle House before going back to work would be real nice.

Sure, a comfy bed and a decent, quiet air handler help.

As chains go, for the most part, Hilton Garden Inns usually fit the bill. Courtyard does a good job, as well.

Most of the rest are just boxes, like that proverbial box of chocolates, you just never know what you're going to get.

Oh, yeah. Absolute Key requirement for me, now days: A good internet connection, and a place next to the bed to plug my phone charger.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:25 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Free Wi-Fi, a comfortable bed, and clean. A working television is also nice, as is a good restaurant.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Free wi-fi, clean room, coffee maker that makes a decent cup of coffee, comfortable bed with a couple extra pillows in the closet, outlet next to the bed on each side, mini fridge, good sound proofing. Some places we have stayed have a "pantry" by the front desk to buy essentials and munchies, really appreciated being able to grab a Guinness and a Dove Ice Cream Bar after a long day's drive.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I don't care if it's old-I stayed in an old place that had an old-fashioned deep bath tub that was awesome-just as long as it is clean!

Wifi, coffee maker and fridge.

I don't like being near the pool. During my last stay, I was just above the pool. A bunch of loud, gossipy women were out there till midnight and it was very annoying.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Just a clean quiet & comfortable room with free Wi-fi, and perhaps a microwave and a fridge, for a 'modest' price, depending upon the city you're visiting and the time of the week, with weekends usually being cheaper in many locations, and especially in major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel