Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:57 AM

17 posts, read 18,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Which flight is it? just so if it does crash we can be amazed at your prophetic insight..
I laughed aloud because I know it sounds stupid, and I know it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
My daughter is actively pursuing a job as a flight attendant one of her favorite shows on TV is a show called Mayday a show that chronicles plane crashes, when i ask her arent you worried about plane crashes, she says at best i can learn what to do in case of emergencies at worst it'll be over quick and you wont feel a thing,i can think of a lot worse ways to die she says. .

Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
We just watched Non-Stop. (I had to pull it out of my laptop to remember the name) Cleverly written but not for the faint of heart.

Seriously check out EFT. I know it seems screwball but my friend has helped lots of people, including herself through lots of trama. (you can do it on yourself in times of stress) Best Carla story: she helped a woman who had a fear of mustard.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgirl85 View Post
So I have always had anxiety about flying, but ever since the Malaysian Airlines flight I have been extra anxious. I am going on a trip next week and I am convincing myself that it will crash. I am afraid if I go on it it will be my last time I breathe life. I know the stats, but it doesn't help because it's almost like I convinced myself I'm having a psychic thought or something ( I don't believe in all that, but it's getting that bad.)

I do think it could be all the change in my life. The last few years have been chaotic and stressful, and now I am landing a good job, dating someone awesome, and finally having some stability. It also could be that I did not pay for this flight so my controlling nature is having a field day.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone else been convince they were going to die while traveling and found out that it did not happened?

I always say I don't fear flying, I fear crashing. lol The odds are firmly against anything happening to a commercial airline flight. Once you get past the takeoff you are home free. Once you get past the landing, again home free. If you believe in prayer just say one before and during the flight to keep your nerves in control. Have a cocktail if it helps.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM

35 posts, read 43,110 times
Quote:
So I have always had anxiety about flying, but ever since the Malaysian Airlines flight I have been extra anxious. I am going on a trip next week and I am convincing myself that it will crash. I am afraid if I go on it it will be my last time I breathe life. I know the stats, but it doesn't help because it's almost like I convinced myself I'm having a psychic thought or something ( I don't believe in all that, but it's getting that bad.)

I do think it could be all the change in my life. The last few years have been chaotic and stressful, and now I am landing a good job, dating someone awesome, and finally having some stability. It also could be that I did not pay for this flight so my controlling nature is having a field day.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone else been convince they were going to die while traveling and found out that it did not happened?

I am TERRIFIED of flying, yet I've had to get on several flights so I feel for you to the fullest. Here are some things I thought to help me.

Planes are flown by very skilled pilots...remember, they probably don't want to die up there either.

There are millions of flights a day, what are the chances YOUR flight will be that one to crash.

Flights usually take less time than what the itinerary states.

Think of all the great things happening in your life-what you have waiting for you.

Bring some DVDs of your favorite movies, or music-whatever can take you out of reality for a minute.

Good luck!!! You will be okay!!!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 AM

4 posts, read 3,422 times
It happens many times with me. I love travelling but not by flight as i always being anxious that it will crash and i would die. But after years of travelling, one thing i got to know that it is just an over thinking that makes me anxious. Because till now i haven't faced anything bad while travelling via flight.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:

When I flew to Malaysia & back, I had drugs. I'm talking knocking back 3-4 pills, falling asleep, waking up, repeat. That's the only way I could've gotten thru it, by being knocked out the whole time. When I flew to Key West a couple years ago, I didn't have drugs because we had 2 layovers on the way there & back so I thought oh, it won't be that bad. Bull. I cannot relax. I am clenching the arm rest the whole time, my chest hurts, I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack over the stress & eventually I started crying. My friend was like damn, I had no idea your fear was that bad. So forget that, when I go to Nicaragua in the fall, drugs it is. So what I'm trying to say is, drugs is the cure.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:32 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Xanax.

For real.

I have flown dozens (and dozens and dozens) of times, and then out of nowhere last year I started to experience intense anxiety surrounding flying. It was so bad that I was vomiting out of fear for hours on end and I wound up having to make them let me off the plane and delay my work trip by a day.

Now, I am an avid traveler and I also work in the travel industry, so having this fear completely out of the blue baffles me to this day. I used to love everything about flying, and I would even sometimes select flight options with additional layovers just to save a couple of dollars and get to experience another flight.

I went to my doctor and was prescribed Xanax, and I have to say it has been a game-changer. I take one 30 minutes before boarding and another when I first get on the plane, and I am completely good to go. I had never taken drugs of this type before, and I was concerned about what it would do to me. But it’s really nothing to worry about—it doesn’t stop you from experiencing your feelings, it just prevents you from entering that panic feedback loop.

I should mention that like the previous poster jambo101, my fear is related to claustrophobia rather than a fear of crashing, attacks, etc.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Yes I think I'll talk to my doctor and get XANAX. It also does not help that CNN has just started a story about TWA flight 800 that blew up over the Atlantic in the mid 90s. I have been seeing plane crashes EVERYWHERE (as in the news, fiction, etc.)

Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 PM

Hey so when seated on an airplane and you have to use the emergency exit, do you go to the one closet (in front or in back of you) or do you go to the one that is in front of you as if you are exiting the plane normally? I'm just wondering because I am seated in front of an exit row and in case of an emergency if I would use that one or the one in front which is far….maybe if I change my seats I'll feel a bit better.

Last edited by chrisgirl85; 07-16-2014 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel