U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times

Advertisements

You don't have to travel very far to turn your level of consciousness around 360 degrees, which I feel is very healthy for anyone to do. And, as I get older, increasingly, I have to force myself to go, and get away from my comfortable Temple of Ruts: my home!

It surprises some people when I say: I really don't want to go on this trip, but I'm forcing myself to go, because, when I return, I'll be so very happy I exerted the effort to go through with it!

My big problem: I've worked the night shift for 12 years, normal sleeping habits of 10a-6p everyday, so when I go out of town I have to do sleep reversals, and sleep reversals upon my return. Never an easy task!

I'm going to do my one long road trip next week: Vegas to Grand Junction, south to Telluride, then thru the Navajo/Hopi reservations, then Flagstaff and return.

Don't know how far this nightshifter is going to drive the first day, leaving after work at 7am, if I can keep awake I hope to make it to Grand Junction, then collapse at 6-7-8pm? And then be a normal human being for a few days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,359,823 times
Re the graveyard shift: I feel your pain! BTDT!!! As a night owl by nature I easily adapted to being awake and productive during those hours, heading for home as "the rest of the world" was going to work, zero wait time at the grocery store, and so on. But fate played its hand, and it's just as well. Sleeping at night is a good (and more natural) thing. Plus there's something to be said for having a full social life. An apt observation I once overheard is, "You don't notice [about off-hours employment], but it kills you little by little."

Back on topic: YES! Though I live in a great place (house AND neighborhood) and have plenty to do, I've had a lifelong touch of wanderlust nonetheless. Due to economics I can't take wide-ranging journeys. But the up-side to that is, I've found locations that "agree" with me around New England. Certain innkeepers and I have become friends even though they still take my money (LOL.) Servers and bartenders recognize me. Local landmarks either get re-re-revisited, or if the weather doesn't permit I don't feel cheated. And the small-town or rural or coastal (as the case may be) environments never fail to make the "R & R" goal come true. Mental health days are good, mental health weekends if not weeks are even better.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
I'm both shocked and envious of those I run across, particularly living in this artificial city of Las Vegas, who say: I haven't been out of town for years! And? Many of these people have the money to do so!

Me? I get this itch, every month or 2, to go somewhere, anywhere, doesn't really matter where, just to clear my head!

Ah! Perhaps one day it will happen to me, I'll be so content/entertained where I'm living, I'll have no desire to ever leave it!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,498,264 times
I am fed up of my country. I want OUT

Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 PM

121 posts, read 138,671 times
I do it regularly, I intentionally avoid shopping locations although I do try to take a trip to a somewhat exotic location once a year. The change in scenery is the best and cheapest prevention for insanity that I have found.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,877,263 times
All the time. Enjoy small road trips and get out of Dodge once in awhile

Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,443,422 times
I love where I live, but every so often I just need to get out and on the road. A favorite is a weekend trip to the Big Horn Mountains, but it's difficult to do that with our pet situation. Yesterday we took a several hour, almost 200 mile road trip around the Black Hills. It was fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or