U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,103,032 times

Advertisements

You're only ever going to get out what you put into a trip. If you go expecting to be bored and do boring things, then chances are good you will have a boring trip doing boring things.

I've turned up in countries with nothing planned other than my first night's accomodation booked, a rental car reserved and a general idea of which direction I intend to leave town by.

Find what interests you and go find/do/see/experience. Doing it while you travel is no different to how you live the rest of your life. Some people just want to hit the major destinations and get close enough to big attractions to snap a photograph that says, "I was there." Other people prefer to go down the off beat path and walk out afterward with amazing memories and interesting tales, but not a snapshot of a single widely recognizable destination to be had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
You're only ever going to get out what you put into a trip. If you go expecting to be bored and do boring things, then chances are good you will have a boring trip doing boring things.

I've turned up in countries with nothing planned other than my first night's accomodation booked, a rental car reserved and a general idea of which direction I intend to leave town by.

Find what interests you and go find/do/see/experience. Doing it while you travel is no different to how you live the rest of your life. Some people just want to hit the major destinations and get close enough to big attractions to snap a photograph that says, "I was there." Other people prefer to go down the off beat path and walk out afterward with amazing memories and interesting tales, but not a snapshot of a single widely recognizable destination to be had.
Very true!

I used to have a colleague in the US who took lots of trips to Europe but always by a coach tour. I think her favourite parts were the tacky gift shops.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,936,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Lately I've been finding myself sitting at home quite often due to nothing going on.
I'll peruse Facebook events postings and even look through newspaper event guides.
With nothing really piquing my interest in near of far-away cities, I simply just sigh in disgust and wait around until something interesting to do shows up.

With that in mind, I'm curious to the reasoning of traveling to certain places when an event or a specific festival isn't going on.
I'd never thought I'd say this, but I think general sight-seeing and just going places with no particular goal in mind is boring.

But others don't seem to take it that way though.
Am I the only one who sees the clear link between the two bolded sentences? You decide what is boring and what is interesting in your life, and you decide what you get out of anything you do.

Last year, I spent a few days in NYC with two good friends. For some reason, for both of them, it was their first time in New York even though they were both 35 and had grown up a 10-hour drive away.

Friend #1: the whole time we were there, he complained that we're walking too much, museums are boring, the subway is filthy, drinks are too expensive, I don't like shopping, lines for the Statue of Liberty are too long, etc. Yet every time we sat down to figure out what to do next, he'd tell me "I don't know what to do, you decide, you're the one who knows the city".

Friend #2: read 2 guidebooks cover to cover before we got there, wanted to stay an extra day, ended up going back last fall because we'd skipped MoMA and the Skyscraper Museum.

Same trip, completely different impressions. I got along better with #2 throughout the trip but that's OK. Friend #1 just got back from one week in South Florida while you'd probably need to hold me at gunpoint (or pay for my trip) to get me to go there in the middle of July. Moral of the story? People are different. Figure out what you like and do it, and stop whining about the boring things other people do. To me, whiners are boring.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Am I the only one who sees the clear link between the two bolded sentences? You decide what is boring and what is interesting in your life, and you decide what you get out of anything you do.

Last year, I spent a few days in NYC with two good friends. For some reason, for both of them, it was their first time in New York even though they were both 35 and had grown up a 10-hour drive away.

Friend #1: the whole time we were there, he complained that we're walking too much, museums are boring, the subway is filthy, drinks are too expensive, I don't like shopping, lines for the Statue of Liberty are too long, etc. Yet every time we sat down to figure out what to do next, he'd tell me "I don't know what to do, you decide, you're the one who knows the city".

Friend #2: read 2 guidebooks cover to cover before we got there, wanted to stay an extra day, ended up going back last fall because we'd skipped MoMA and the Skyscraper Museum.

Same trip, completely different impressions. I got along better with #2 throughout the trip but that's OK. Friend #1 just got back from one week in South Florida while you'd probably need to hold me at gunpoint (or pay for my trip) to get me to go there in the middle of July. Moral of the story? People are different. Figure out what you like and do it, and stop whining about the boring things other people do. To me, whiners are boring.
Another moral to the story: be careful who you travel with! I've traveled with people who were a total PITA, and those who were a pleasure to travel and found just about everything interesting or pleasing in some way.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,539,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Am I the only one who sees the clear link between the two bolded sentences? You decide what is boring and what is interesting in your life, and you decide what you get out of anything you do.Last year, I spent a few days in NYC with two good friends. For some reason, for both of them, it was their first time in New York even though they were both 35 and had grown up a 10-hour drive away. Friend #1: the whole time we were there, he complained that we're walking too much, museums are boring, the subway is filthy, drinks are too expensive, I don't like shopping, lines for the Statue of Liberty are too long, etc. Yet every time we sat down to figure out what to do next, he'd tell me "I don't know what to do, you decide, you're the one who knows the city". Friend #2: read 2 guidebooks cover to cover before we got there, wanted to stay an extra day, ended up going back last fall because we'd skipped MoMA and the Skyscraper Museum. Same trip, completely different impressions. I got along better with #2 throughout the trip but that's OK. Friend #1 just got back from one week in South Florida while you'd probably need to hold me at gunpoint (or pay for my trip) to get me to go there in the middle of July. Moral of the story? People are different. Figure out what you like and do it, and stop whining about the boring things other people do. To me, whiners are boring.
Thanks, Dr. Barney. Can you renew my prescription now?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 AM

466 posts, read 431,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I like both. There are plenty of major events that I enjoy being a part of (or hope to someday), but at the same time I have just as much fun traveling places just to immerse myself in the culture or community that lives there. Whether it's exotic (like Thailand) or not (like Kansas City) I'll be happy to people watch and do the things that locals do on a regular basis.
I'm the same way. I can have just as much fun being in a different country as I can in a small town a few hundred miles from my home. I love to travel and I love stepping outside of my zone as much as possible.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
― Augustine of Hippo

Old 07-16-2014, 05:22 PM

32,095 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Lately I've been finding myself sitting at home quite often due to nothing going on.
I'll peruse Facebook events postings and even look through newspaper event guides.
With nothing really piquing my interest in near of far-away cities, I simply just sigh in disgust and wait around until something interesting to do shows up.

With that in mind, I'm curious to the reasoning of traveling to certain places when an event or a specific festival isn't going on.
I'd never thought I'd say this, but I think general sight-seeing and just going places with no particular goal in mind is boring.

But others don't seem to take it that way though.
There are plenty of places to visit where the goal is just to see the place because of historical, cultural or aesthetic interest.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,828,010 times
Not wanting to turn this into a group therapy discussion, but I'm afraid I just did.
Bicycle events like the critical masses, Tour-de-Fat, Pedalpallooza, RAGBRAI, and other non-competitive things are what I always look out for.
Another thing along the lines of the urban-exploration department would be ghost town ruins and such.

Getting back to why I think I feel bored, I think it may have less to do with actual boredom and more with discouragement from looking at the distances from here to there and thinking "well, that's out of the question."

Only thing I've been looking to remedy that would be to either find a way to get my days lessened at work, or get onto something part-time.
Only reality steps in and says I've got a truck to pay off.

Looks like I'll have to suck it up and just keep aiming for spots not too far away from where I snooze.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 AM

9,601 posts, read 17,186,194 times
Usually I just go to see the sights, but recently I went on a trip centered around a festival with ceilidh music and dance as the main feature. It wasn't the main part of the trip but I had a lot of fun. I went with my daughter who doesn't really get into that much and that's the main disadvantage--not everyone will share yr interests, not even a spouse sometimes. My ex would never have gone for this trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or