U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,830,205 times

Advertisements

I guess another thing that would probably help me enjoy things a lot better is not feeling so rushed all the time.
Like another thread posted here, there seems to be a lot of people who travel a lot and have time to do it.

The rest of us seem to be hard pressed for time when it comes to getting off of work, and returning in time to not get our rear-ends chewed.
But that's another issue for the employment section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,013,182 times
I am always looking for great festivals like Festival Acadien in Lafayette, LA.

I also like events like the Minnesota and Iowa State Fairs.

I prefer to travel alone but wife won't let me do that too often. (g)

Old 07-26-2014, 04:26 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,044,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Lately I've been finding myself sitting at home quite often due to nothing going on.
I'll peruse Facebook events postings and even look through newspaper event guides.
With nothing really piquing my interest in near of far-away cities, I simply just sigh in disgust and wait around until something interesting to do shows up.

With that in mind, I'm curious to the reasoning of traveling to certain places when an event or a specific festival isn't going on.
I'd never thought I'd say this, but I think general sight-seeing and just going places with no particular goal in mind is boring.

But others don't seem to take it that way though.
I never need a reason to leave my house. If I did I would only leave to go to work or to shop. I travel just for the sake of going somewhere new or just for the sake of leaving my house.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,648,695 times
There are two types of tourists, the first type is the type that goes some place just to go, the other is the type that goes with an event schedule.

I don't mind doing either, but I much prefer to do the events, it makes the trip well worth it to me. For me this usually includes 2-3 day concerts that involves camping. Then again, going to lay on the beach and scuba for a week wouldn't be terrible either.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM

72,027 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Lately I've been finding myself sitting at home quite often due to nothing going on.
I'll peruse Facebook events postings and even look through newspaper event guides.
With nothing really piquing my interest in near of far-away cities, I simply just sigh in disgust and wait around until something interesting to do shows up.

With that in mind, I'm curious to the reasoning of traveling to certain places when an event or a specific festival isn't going on.
I'd never thought I'd say this, but I think general sight-seeing and just going places with no particular goal in mind is boring.

But others don't seem to take it that way though.
We are more inclined to travel for sight seeing and learning about new places. Rarely do we attend events. If we are visiting someplace and there are events we might take part in them but that would not be our main reason for visiting. I have to wonder why you think visiting a new city, enjoying a wine country or a national park is boring?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 AM

7,745 posts, read 9,044,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are more inclined to travel for sight seeing and learning about new places. Rarely do we attend events. If we are visiting someplace and there are events we might take part in them but that would not be our main reason for visiting. I have to wonder why you think visiting a new city, enjoying a wine country or a national park is boring?
I have family members who have this mentality. Unless you are traveling to visit family or to some exotic vacation with a beach (which is where they spend the ENTIRE vacation) the first question they have is something to the effect of "Why are you going to ________________?" or "What's in _______________?" If I traveled like them I would go to a beach resort about every four years and in the meantime only travel to three different states.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 PM

966 posts, read 1,526,134 times
I travel just to relax, to see things occasionally. I don't specifically travel for any events. I have stumbled upon events, though. A few years ago I drove through what I expected to be a quiet section of northern Utah only to find one town overrun by a large, well-attended raspberry festival.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
I have three main reasons for non-business related travel.

See friends/family.
See various sights and attractions which pique my interest.
Immerse myself in local culture including food and activities.

It sounds like you might be better off trying the latter. Pick a major city in an interesting part of the world and rent a flat for a week or two. Spend your days people watching, shopping at the local shops, and just walking around absorbing the area. Rome, London, Glasgow, Prague, Paris... Even if you've been there, if you haven't "lived" there it will be a different experience.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,830,205 times
I'm guessing all-in-all, traveling just seems boring to me now.
The time it takes to get there, the hassles involved, and all the other minor issues are just icing on the bland cake.

I only say this because I've actually been employed in a position that allows me to save up in a short amount of time for the jaunts mentioned in this thread.
But at the same time, the requirements of work may have well just siphoned the motivation out of me.

Once that happens, I tend to just accept that and stick to the bubble I've created.

Then again, I don't ever recall traveling much throughout my entire life outside of long-haul, semi-truck journeys.
Even my other siblings have all gone on at least a couple of plane trips, and I was left out for whatever reason.

But as I said, not going to let any of this bother me.
Maybe in a few years I'll try out some insane, fringe-style traveling journey, budget-style.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,838,588 times
I have done both.

My pick are the sightseeing trips, especially the self-guided variety. Why? I'm not set to someone else's schedule. If I want to do something last minute, I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or