Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been finding myself sitting at home quite often due to nothing going on.
I'll peruse Facebook events postings and even look through newspaper event guides.
With nothing really piquing my interest in near of far-away cities, I simply just sigh in disgust and wait around until something interesting to do shows up.

With that in mind, I'm curious to the reasoning of traveling to certain places when an event or a specific festival isn't going on.
I'd never thought I'd say this, but I think general sight-seeing and just going places with no particular goal in mind is boring.

But others don't seem to take it that way though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:25 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times
I go to many places even though there is no specific event going on. For example, wandering through medieval French villages, sunrise drives in Uganda to see the wildlife, Brugge for the canals, architecture, churches, food and beer, beaches and Buddhist temples in Thailand. Sightseeing can be castles, palaces, ancient sites, gardens. Nope, I don't need an event.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:35 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,047,659 times
We specifically do not go somewhere IF there is an event taking place, do not like crowds. As Ameriscot mentioned, visiting places to find out their history, explore the restaurants, how the natives live, that's what's interesting to us. I can never understand how people will go say to Mexico and spend their whole vacation sitting on the beach or by the pool and never go out and see the sights and the culture of the area. Of course some people enjoy the beach/pool and that's fine if that's what they want to do. To each his own.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Exploration would probably be more interesting if there were a local group of people to tag along with.
And no, not the flashy, tour guide types.
I mentioned urban exploration in another thread and to me that's one way to explore the more exotic or darker areas of a particular region that don't usually show up on a typical tourist itinerary.

I've thought about doing some things solo, but then I'd feel like some 1/2 baked, CIA operative.

But that's just me.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Exploration would probably be more interesting if there were a local group of people to tag along with.
And no, not the flashy, tour guide types.
I mentioned urban exploration in another thread and to me that's one way to explore the more exotic or darker areas of a particular region that don't usually show up on a typical tourist itinerary.

I've thought about doing some things solo, but then I'd feel like some 1/2 baked, CIA operative.

But that's just me.
Typical tourist groups and tours are rubbish. You don't see the real country or people that way. You have to be adventurous. One of my best trips was all on my own in a rental car going where I felt like and when I felt like. Interesting road? Turn down it.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Typical tourist groups and tours are rubbish. You don't see the real country or people that way. You have to be adventurous. One of my best trips was all on my own in a rental car going where I felt like and when I felt like. Interesting road? Turn down it.
I guess I'm only adventurous when it comes to peer-pressure from others.
Go to a certain place, over-hear a conversation/eavesdrop, and then either ask to join, or covertly follow from a distance.
My interest is piqued now!!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm only adventurous when it comes to peer-pressure from others.
Go to a certain place, over-hear a conversation/eavesdrop, and then either ask to join, or covertly follow from a distance.
My interest is piqued now!!
GO somewhere!

Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
GO somewhere!
If it weren't for work in the way, that's where the youtube channels come in I guess.

Guides for future forays!!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,183 times
Quote:

I usually do my urban exploration alone or with one other person. Sometimes I will go with a group as it's fun to see the same place from other's perspectives. There are thousands and thousands of people that are into urbex. The down side to going with a group is it's easier to get caught if everyone is not careful. I always hit the high risk places with no more than two people ever. There are so many people doing it that you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to go with. The more you get into it the more you'll realize that the hunt for locations is half the fun.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I've found it's not that hard to just stumble upon stuff. Got of the bus in Edinburgh, heard bagpipes and suddenly found ourselves watching an annual Scottish-Norwegian friendship parade. And walked into Notre Dame de Paris in the middle of a wedding. (Best wishes Martine et Manuel!) I just wish we'd been a little more organized because we missed out on the 15 euro grounds tickets to the French Open when we were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel