U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM

6,307 posts, read 3,572,105 times

Advertisements

Kulkukan, the great pyramid, at Chichen Itza, Yucatan, Mexico was my ultimate vacation site sight. It had been on my bucket list since I was in fourth grade.

The first time I saw the ocean was humbling and breathtaking. It still is.

I can't pick from a third. Too many choices. We live on such a beautiful little planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,439,238 times
1. Pompeii - on Easter Sunday .. not a soul (actually saw maybe three-seven people at any one time, but this place is usually TEEMING with folks that the experience is almost demoralizing by comparison). Everybody was certainly someplace else. The most wonderful, eerie, private and spectacular visit to a man-made place I have ever been to.

2. Hawaii - a) draw between heli-flight OVER Kilauea seeing red holes of lava on the surface crust and the lava flowing incredibly fast from the source to dissappearing under the crust... and b) heli-flight along the Na Pali coast.

3. Grand Canyon from the south rim.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 PM

5,655 posts, read 4,879,457 times
1. Big Bear lake California , We prayed, and God put out a major out of control fire with a snow storm ,during the summer time.

2. Mexico City gave us permission to have a meeting at the park @5 PM when it usually rained, we prayed, and God stopped the rain, allowing us to have our meeting out side in the park. Not a drop. great meeting too.

3. I was 7 years old in a church camp in the high sierras when I gave my heart to the Lord ,It was a turning point in my life from then on.
I can still remember the smell of the woods and the comfort of God'a presents that day.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 PM

19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Yellowstone National Park with not just one geyser but little surprise geysers all over the place. Boiling mud. Beautiful forests and wild animals.

Stonehenge in England. Mysterious and ancient.

Some places in the English countryside that are drop dead gorgeous. In the north, like Lancashire, in Yorkshire the Lake District.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,907,093 times
This is hard. Giving it a try, but my mind may change before dawn. Sistine Chapel and the Vatican in general. Acropolis. And then oddly, Big Bend National Park. I think because it's here and so few Americans have visited. But I'm already changing my mind because I'm remembering Devil's Island (being there and seeing how they are allowing the jungle to take over because it's such a sad place), and also the Sphinx and pyramids in Egypt. I think we should do this by continent!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,907,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
1. Pompeii - on Easter Sunday .. not a soul (actually saw maybe three-seven people at any one time, but this place is usually TEEMING with folks that the experience is almost demoralizing by comparison). Everybody was certainly someplace else. The most wonderful, eerie, private and spectacular visit to a man-made place I have ever been to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post

2. Hawaii - a) draw between heli-flight OVER Kilauea seeing red holes of lava on the surface crust and the lava flowing incredibly fast from the source to dissappearing under the crust... and b) heli-flight along the Na Pali coast.

3. Grand Canyon from the south rim.
And Pompeii, too! How could I forget. I went when I was 18 and though it was June, it wasn't teeming with people on that day, either. It was surreal.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,664 times
Have to add two!

Pompeii
Vatican

Old 07-17-2014, 03:32 AM

71 posts, read 65,208 times
Too many to pick from.

The Grand Canyon
Great Ocean Road
Head of the Bight

Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,363,143 times
Florence, Italy: One particular "snapshot" I hold onto is the swallows wheeling around over the Rio Arno at dusk with the Ponte Vecchio forming their backdrop. And seeing that the legendary golden sunshine of Tuscany is real. Plus there's enough great Western art to keep you returning for years (the museum tours are rushed because they have to be.)

Kyoto, Japan: NUMEROUS Buddhist and Shinto religious landmarks with memorable qualities...the dwindling number of neighborhoods untouched by "modern" architecture (this was the only major Japanese city spared bombings during WWII)...the "imperial villas" and the Old Imperial Palace...the quirky local dialect, now mainly used to play to tourists...festival parades that date back centuries...the kabuki theater which goes back to the 1700's...awesome restaurants like the one which offers eel prepared some two dozen ways - an easily acquired taste, trust me...etc etc. Probably my second-favorite city in the world behind NYC.

Block Island, Rhode Island: A "gem in the ocean," recognized as one of the Last Great Places by the Nature Conservancy....no traffic lights or national-chain franchises...classic Victorian hotels, and one inn that's a cluster of clapboard cottages which are drab on the outside and eye-catching on the inside...scads of scenic ocean (ya think?) views, open fields, and untouched thickets, with an astounding 40% or more of the land permanently protected from McMansions, resorts, et al...a paradise for birdwatchers and insect aficionados (don't forget butterflies are insects)...so quiet that the noise of a moped is as bad as it gets...a haven for hikers, runners (multiple road races and "tri's" each year), bicyclists, and people who do stuff on boards in the ocean, not to mention beach bums...some of the best swordfish and sloppiest sundaes you'll ever taste...etc etc.

In Italy, if Rome and Venice hadn't been "taken" they soon would be. And there are of course plenty more awesome places in Japan as well as the rest of Asia, and a staggering number in the U.S. of A. Plus of course Europe, Africa, Australia and New Zealand...

Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 AM

71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I've traveled so much that I have too many. I managed to narrow it down, but you're right, three isn't enough.

I agree about Auschwitz, sobering beyond belief. I stayed at a hostel in Krakow, where I got to know a group of travelers. We had all visited the camp separately within the few days we were all there. No matter what we were talking about, we always managed to change the topic of conversation back to our visit to Auschwitz. It was such a moving experience.

Chernobyl (Pripyat), Ukraine - For those who don't know, this is the site of one of the world's largest nuclear disasters. They offer day trips to the "exclusion zone". It was one of the most fascinating places I have ever visited and a left me with a feeling of utter loss. The guide takes you on a specific route through the area and you get to go inside several of the buildings to explore. We were told to avoid touching mushrooms and moss because they soak up radiation. The thing is, you couldn't avoid walking on the moss as it had pretty much taken over the place.

Grand Canyon - When I walked up near to the edge, I put my hand out as if I were about to touch a painting. That's how unbelievable the view was to me. I got to see a rain/lightening storm and plenty of rainbows over the canyon. We had excellent weather the entire time we visited. We watched the sunset at Yaki Point. I have a lot of fondness for that whole trip in general, even though we lost a day due to airline delays.
Our daughter and son in law lived in Krakow for a couple of years. When their younger daughter visited she would not go to Krakow, because their dad is Jewish, she just couldn't bring herself to see what realy happened. Of course she was only 18 at the time, now 10 years later, I am sure she would visit. She has grown up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or