U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:26 AM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yellowstone National Park with not just one geyser but little surprise geysers all over the place. Boiling mud. Beautiful forests and wild animals.

Stonehenge in England. Mysterious and ancient.

Some places in the English countryside that are drop dead gorgeous. In the north, like Lancashire, in Yorkshire the Lake District.
As much as I have had the opportunity to travel I have never been to Yellowstone and even being born and raised in California, I have never been to Yosemite or Sequoia NP. I have seen the Redwoods, we used to live in the Redwood country (No. CA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,140,430 times
The Taj Mahal in India, Swayambunath in Katmandu, Temple of the Dawn in Bangkok, but there are so many more...

Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 AM

992 posts, read 719,508 times
1: The Taj Mahal.
2: Kashgar and surrounding environs.
3: Santorini

Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 AM

96 posts, read 146,851 times
Not in any particular order:

Tulip fields in The Netherlands. In Spring. In full bloom. AMAZING!

Yellowstone. I lived near there and just the view out my window was great, but when you visit the park. WOW!

Greece. I know...put a whole country there. But I can't choose any one spot. I really liked the islands off the coast, but then again when you visit Athens and see the ruins or go to a little village in the mountains or....well....just the whole darn country!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 AM

3,518 posts, read 5,460,696 times
Tiger Leaping Gorge
Ankor Wat
The Tannery in Fez

Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 AM

25,033 posts, read 23,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Tiger Leaping Gorge
Ankor Wat
The Tannery in Fez
My brother said he remembers the smell of the tannery as much as, or more than, anything else.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,427,473 times
Just 3?

1. A random snake farm in Indonesia-- I think because it was so spontaneous and because the guy actually took a just-caught viper out of the bag and the thing was reealllllly pissed off. That really got my heart racing... also the cobras and pythons and watching a viper skinned in front of me and swallowing the gall bladder with blood tea. I had missed the snake market though, which was a real shame... later I had a cobra/python stir fry.

2. Diving near Sipidan, Borneo, Malaysia-- getting certified and diving with thousands of jackfish swimming in unison, like a huge cloud of fish. I saw lionfish and turtles and all of that junk too, but the jackfish cloud was totally awesome. Plus, getting certified made me happy at the time and my instructor didn't drain the fun out of it, unlike some other diving trips where it became competitive or otherwise lame and sucky.

3. The Annapurna Circuit, Nepal-- I have a thing for hiking in the mountains and the Himalayas are truly majestic. It was a tossup between doing this an Everest basecamp but this won out... and I think I made the right choice. 10 days of hiking followed by a reallly long ass bus ride on hard seats through unthinkably hazardous roads was pretty memorable.

Honorable mention:

The Machame trail on Kilimanjaro-- there was some really awesome plantlife and the moonlight on the frost under a perfectly clear sky at night was incredible. The sunrise from the top is just a sunrise... but it was kind of depressing to see how ill-prepared the other porters were, essentially risking their lives wearing beat up Nikes without socks or laces with some arsehole's extra clothes on their head, all for a bit of money.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM

16,767 posts, read 7,473,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My list is not ranked

1. Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo ruins in Peru (I know, that's two...but they go together in my mind) Awesome

2 Temple of St. Michael the Archangel in Perugis, Italy -- ( AKA Church of Sant'Angelo) 5th century Christian church - very spiritual place

3. Big trees in Sequoia NP --- a close call -- north rim of Grand Canyon is an alternative
Agreed, but to add some variation:

1. Zion, Utah (Before the closures and restrictions).

2. Gettysburg. (Alternately, the Vietnam and Korean monuments on the DC Mall)

3. The Pali of Molokai

Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 AM

692 posts, read 1,492,120 times
The Big Horn Mountains-Wyoming
The Beartooth Mountains-Wyoming
The Wind River Mountains-Wyoming

Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,626,476 times
I'm more of an armchair traveler so I haven't been to the exotic locations mentioned except through travelogues and books, and reading your experiences! My favorite memories:

1. In a helicopter soaring between massive cliffs on the way to Denver Glacier in Alaska.
2. The Tower of London. I was overwhelmed by the sense of walking where so much history had taken place.
3. The ruins of Copan, a Mayan civilization site in Honduras. The harrowing bus ride to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or