U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,692,102 times

Advertisements

The Grand Canyon. I remember walking to the wall in front of the El Tovar and I got such bad vertigo I had to back away and almost fell down. It is unimaginably deep. Pictures don't do it justice, it's just awe-inspiring. I picked up a book called "Death in Grand Canyon" and I got so obsessed with that book that I've bought the newer editions. We are going back to Grand Canyon in December and I can't wait.

Stonehenge. I actually drove right by it before realizing that's what it was. I was stationed in England and every weekend I would pick a site and take a drive. I was indeed headed for Stonehenge, but strangely, it was behind a fence, with no signs around. Just a few people standing at the fence. It did have an aura of mystery about it that draws you in. I stood there for at least an hour just staring.

Chichen Itza and Xcaret. Seeing the ruins really takes you back, and makes you wonder how in the world they built those huge temples. Then the trip to the caves and gullies filled with water that you can explore, the absolutely beautiful clear blue-green water is just astounding.

Last edited by convextech; 07-17-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I'm visiting Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo in September. I can't wait!
You will fall in love with Peru.
My best advice: Go to the plaza in Cuzco after dark and take in the city lights. Do not (!!) drive in Lima.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 AM

465 posts, read 430,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You will fall in love with Peru.
My best advice: Go to the plaza in Cuzco after dark and take in the city lights. Do not (!!) drive in Lima.
Thanks for the tip. Will do!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Easily the most memorable place I have been was in Idaho (or was it Utah?)...no, it was Nevada! There was a sunrise shining on some rocks to the East, I guess that would have meant it was a sunset, but you could hear some kind of wolf howl off in the distance (could have been a crow) and the colors were brilliant and I distinctly recall somebody far off in the distance was playing Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music' and the sound of our generator was making strange echoey sounds off the canyon walls but my buddy "Skidmarks" was throwing up in the underbrush nearby and he missed it all.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,478,813 times
Hmm... So many choices.

Natural wonders: Lake Louise in Canada
Arenal volcano in Costa Rica
heleleikeoha waterfall in Maui ( the blue pool) It is on private property and people can't go there anymore.

Man made wonders: Eiffel Tower
Chichen Itza in Mexico ( I got to climb it in the early 90's)
I would also pick the pyramids although I haven't been there yet.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Hmm... So many choices.

Natural wonders: Lake Louise in Canada
Arenal volcano in Costa Rica
heleleikeoha waterfall in Maui ( the blue pool) It is on private property and people can't go there anymore.

Man made wonders: Eiffel Tower
Chichen Itza in Mexico ( I got to climb it in the early 90's)
I would also pick the pyramids although I haven't been there yet.
As many times as we have been to Mexico, we have never been to Chicken Itza; have always wanted to go...

Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,182,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have been lucky enough to be able to travel quite a bit, but not as much as many of you. I know it is hard to narrow down the things we have seen that will be embedded in our minds forever, but I got thinking about this last night when I had trouble sleeping; here are my three:

Auschwitz: How anyone could actually believe the holocaust did not exist is beyond me. That day made an impression on my I never forget. It was one of the most sobering days in my life, but I am glad I had an opportunity to see the camps first hand.

Cooperstown and the home of the baseball hall of fame. What a wonderful and uplifting experience. I don't know why it made such an impression, but it did. So many fond memories of baseball history. I just wish hubby's mother hadn't been with us: we could have seen so much more.

my third memory is between 2 sites: one the Reagan library: not just because I think of him as a true and loving American, but the setting is breath taking and seeing where he and Gorbachev met in Iceland. Again, this was the beginning of the end of the cold war. Something that should have happened years before.

I can think of a few more that stick in my mind, but I set the rules: only 3, maybe I should have said 5.
Great question. I have loved some of the answers and have a bunch of new places I want to see now.

I love to travel and really had to thing what my "top 3" would be.

I have been lucky enough to see a number of the choices from other posters, such as the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, Zion, The Grand Canyon, Gettysburg, and the Tower of London and loved them all. However, after some thought my personal choices are:

1) The top of an 8,000 foot mountain in the Dry Valleys of Antarctica. Looking one direction was a series of long valleys running all the way down to the ocean. Turning around, there was a solid flat sheet of ice as far as you could see (thousands of feet thick).

2) The ruins under St. Peters in the Vatican, seen on the Scavi Tour, ending in what may be the actual tomb of St. Peter.

3) Stonehenge (despite some who call if just a pile of rocks).

Honorable mentions would be; the Pantheon in Rome, the Rhine River between Koblenz and Mainz, the Cathedral in Aachen, Clava Cairns in Scotland, The Great Wall in China, the Cliffs of Moher and the Ring of Kerry in Ireland, and Bryce Canyon in Utah.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,535,393 times
1) The Grand Canyon - obvious reasons

2) A specific, un-named lake in Yosemite NP - went there as a kid, married there, will die there if it's my choice

3) Michelangelo's David in Florence - I may have seen a lot more outstanding things in my life, but this is the closest a man-made thing has ever come to the beauty of nature. I stared at it for hours (actually, I drew it, but I can't find that drawing right now)

Old 07-17-2014, 02:25 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Runner up for us; both hubby and me, would be seeing the San Pans in Hong Kong. I am a little surprised no one has mentioned Niagara Falls. Though we were a little disappointed I know, to many, it is the best falls in the world.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:33 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,653,911 times
1) The Forum in Rome
2) The Alps in Barvaria/Austria
3) Banff Canada, N.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or