U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times

Advertisements

I have not been all over the world. I grew up in the SF Bay Area, so the sight of the Bay and the city, and the ocean were all part of growing up, so I can't say that I was stunned by them. I love them and find them beautiful, but they are kind of like family - if that's not too hokey

The first time I was absolutely stunned by a view was seeing the Columbia River Gorge for the first time. I was 18 years old and was reading The Hobbit for the first time. I felt like I'd see dragons and dwarfs peeking around the waterfalls.

I've seen other beautiful places, but the Columbia River Gorge (Washington state on one side and Oregon on the other) stunned me the most with it's beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 PM

39,536 posts, read 47,722,769 times
Out of the USA would be the Great Wall of China, The Great Barrier Reef in Australia, Sugarloaf Mountain in Brazil.

In the USA the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Mt Rushmore,.

And there are hundreds of other memorable places we've been to.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,515,200 times
1. Statue of Liberty.
2. Sea ice off Newfoundland.
3. Big ben

Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 AM

16,417 posts, read 5,353,701 times
Sunlight hitting the the Eiffel Tower in ever-changing kaleidoscopic patterns as I rode by on a train. It is so much prettier in three dimensions than in photographs.

The stained glass windows at Chartres Cathedral, the most beautiful, awe-inspiring sight I've ever seen.

All the colorful fish and sea creatures you see when scuba diving in the turquoise waters of Hawaii. It's like being inside a tropical fish tank.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Runner up for us; both hubby and me, would be seeing the San Pans in Hong Kong. I am a little surprised no one has mentioned Niagara Falls. Though we were a little disappointed I know, to many, it is the best falls in the world.
We had our honeymoon there. I was going to mention it, but the others took precedence.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,536,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Many rock formations out West. Probably I should say the Grand Canyon but I also love the Garden of the Gods between Denver and Colorado Springs. Pike's Peak, Rocky Mountain National Park, Zion National Park, Mesa Verde, I love the whole West to visit.
Quick geography lesson, if you care to know…

Garden of the Gods is actually within the city limits of Colorado Springs, just to the northwest of downtown, and not between there and Denver at all. But you probably think of it that way because you flew or drove to Denver then went south on I25 and stopped at GoG before you went into downtown, which makes sense. Pikes Peak is in the national Forest west of the city of COS, but very visible from just about anywhere in town. Rocky Mountain NP is about an hour to the northwest of Denver, and Mesa Verde is in the Southwest corner of CO, not too far from 'four corners'. Zion is in Utah.

I love the west too and think I might actually die if I ever have to live anywhere west of I-25. (I lived in southern VA though as a kid and I survived… so maybe for the right reasons)

Old 07-18-2014, 06:35 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,883,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Quick geography lesson, if you care to know…

Garden of the Gods is actually within the city limits of Colorado Springs, just to the northwest of downtown, and not between there and Denver at all. But you probably think of it that way because you flew or drove to Denver then went south on I25 and stopped at GoG before you went into downtown, which makes sense. Pikes Peak is in the national Forest west of the city of COS, but very visible from just about anywhere in town. Rocky Mountain NP is about an hour to the northwest of Denver, and Mesa Verde is in the Southwest corner of CO, not too far from 'four corners'. Zion is in Utah.

I love the west too and think I might actually die if I ever have to live anywhere west of I-25. (I lived in southern VA though as a kid and I survived… so maybe for the right reasons)
We lived in Denver for a year all together. January, 1967-September, 1967. Then went back for two months in May/June a few years after that. My husband was studying computers and business equipment at the NCR Western Division School. We found it strange that a park could be incorporated into a city or town even when the city limits didn't meet. I am not saying the Garden of the Gods is that way but other parks were. And yes, at that time the Garden of the Gods looked like it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere except close to the Air Force Academy.

He went to school all week and we toured the area on the weekends. We have had several vacations out west since then but still haven't made it to the four corners. We do timeshare condos and stayed in Grand View at Las Vegas for week of Mother's Day. That is when we went to the Hoover Dam, Death Valley and Zion National Park. 2007 we stayed at Pagosa Springs and rode the train, went to Mesa Verde but it started snowing and we left a day early the day we were planning to go to the four corners. We had planned to come back that way this year on our way home but things were on fire in Colorado and we heard the word "snow" again. I am allergic to smoke so the air was getting oppressive to me. We had one polluted day and then the air improved. Our road trip this year was about five thousand miles for a total of 2 weeks gone from home. If circumstances had been different we probably would have been gone another week.

Last edited by NCN; 07-18-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
The beaches of Hawaii.
The Branford Land Trust in CT. (the granite and woods are breathtaking)
The Shenandoah Valley from the back of a horse.

I guess God-made trumps man-made for me.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,656,328 times
1) St. Mark's Square in Venice.... at dusk.

2) The color of the water off the Fiji islands.

3) Being on a bluff in Normandy, France, looking down on Omaha Beach and thinking, "My God. This is where it happened."

Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,217,270 times
1) Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii - it really brought home how much desolation a volcano can cause and was such a contrast to the rest of the island. It took my breath away

2) the Lower Basilica in Assisi OR the Duomo in Florence. I have never felt as peaceful as I did sitting in these two utterly dissimilar places. The Lower Basilica and the area of St. Francis's tomb were small and physically unremarkable; the Duomo is ostentatious and huge. Both reached out and soothed a little piece of my soul

3) Lake Louise and Banff in Alberta, Canada - I have never been to the American Rockies; the Canadian Rockies are gorgeous and breathtaking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or