Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:25 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

In no particular order:

Santorini (Thira) in the Greek Isles

North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Dead Horse Point in Utah

Dead Horse Point at the bend of the Green River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
3. Colliseum/Forum in Rome - The foundations of the western world and places out of infinite books, all there, tangible to be experienced.

2. Red Square/Kremlin/St. Basil's - As a child of the 80's you could picture it without fail, but to actually be there and take it all in, was awesome.

1. Death House, Walls Unit, Huntsville, TX - Back when I was in University in Huntsville we had the opportunity to tour "Walls" and go into the death chamber where they do the executions. Incredibly sobering to be in a place where society deems it ok to kill people.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
1. Carlsbad Caverns National Park----The "Big Room"

2. Mesa Verde National Park---Spruce House

3. Grand Canyon National Park---The North Rim

I've been to most of the national parks and monuments in the mountain time zone. Awesome country!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 AM

205 posts, read 409,169 times
1. Rome....I went to Rome a few weeks after I saw the movie "Gladiator". Italy is Awesome. I will never forget Venice, Rome, Florence.

2. Cancun...beaches and nightlife are the best. The trip to the Chichen Itza Mayan pyramids was AMAZING

3. Big Sur

Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I have been trying to narrow this down.

The abandoned Soviet sub bases carved into the sides of the fjords along the Bay of Kotor.

The views from Mount Tohivea in Moorea, especially of Cook's Bay.

The Sistine Chapel

Close runners up:

Moraine Lake--just amazing.

The Wall in Washington, DC

The placard about proper packaging to ship moose and elk meats as "luggage" on Bearskin Airlines on the wall at YWG. No, not a wonder of the world, but it struck my funny bone and I'm still giggling about it 10 years later.

I tried to choose very specific places rather than entire cities on my list.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:28 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
1. Great Wall of China:
It is so grandeur. Looking down from it while imagining how the Mongol actually have to climb those steep terrain before trying to attack the wall!
Another thing that I did not realize before going there is that I thought walking through it would be a piece of cake. I was mistaken as most of the pathway is inclined or declined up to 45 degree. I actually gave up after 10 minutes. LOL.

2. Abu Simbel Temple in Egypt (plus various pyramids and whatnot in Egypt):
Something mystical about the temple. Huge statues. Beautiful architecture. I was thinking that back then on the same site, Pharaoh would visit the temple once in a while wearing his majestic golden garbs while priests, which look exotic to modern eyes performing exotic dances. Thinking about it while I was there gave me goosembumps.

3. When I first took Megabus from Philly to NYC. (Before then, I usually flew or took Acela)
The view of Manhattan island - a stretch of tall buildings after buildings is so magnificent. I did not expect that the stretch of concrete jungle is extended all the way!

4. When I went home to Miami at night after moving to Philly for 2 years. From the airplane, the pretty and organized street and house lights that form grid lines on the ground actually made me cry. Really miss home that much!

5. Shinjuku, Tokyo. The people. The tall buildings and lights! The anime signs to represent everything! That toy store, which I forgot the name! It is jsut like Toy's r Us but sell Japanese oriented products. So much anime action figures and knick knacks! I ended up buying another bag to put all my purchases there.

OK that is five. Sorry! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel