U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 AM

72,036 posts, read 83,705,236 times

Advertisements

We have been lucky enough to be able to travel quite a bit, but not as much as many of you. I know it is hard to narrow down the things we have seen that will be embedded in our minds forever, but I got thinking about this last night when I had trouble sleeping; here are my three:

Auschwitz: How anyone could actually believe the holocaust did not exist is beyond me. That day made an impression on my I never forget. It was one of the most sobering days in my life, but I am glad I had an opportunity to see the camps first hand.

Cooperstown and the home of the baseball hall of fame. What a wonderful and uplifting experience. I don't know why it made such an impression, but it did. So many fond memories of baseball history. I just wish hubby's mother hadn't been with us: we could have seen so much more.

my third memory is between 2 sites: one the Reagan library: not just because I think of him as a true and loving American, but the setting is breath taking and seeing where he and Gorbachev met in Iceland. Again, this was the beginning of the end of the cold war. Something that should have happened years before.

I can think of a few more that stick in my mind, but I set the rules: only 3, maybe I should have said 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,451,133 times
Mine would be:

1) Walking along the ghats of Varanasi, India. Just seeing all these people in the water bathing and scrubbing their water buffalo, while some cremations were taking place on the banks a little further up/down river. Very unique place.

2) Couchsurfing in Lisbon with this guy, Luis. The kindest person I think I have ever met, it was almost eerie. He picked me up at the airport without me even expecting such a thing. Sounds sketchy, but nothing bad happened. He showed me all kinds of nice things, even drove us down the coast to some beaches near Porto Covo on a rainy Saturday. He still sends me an email around Christmas time each year since, which I do return of course.

3) Meeting my current girlfriend in Granada, Nicaragua. Right in front of the big yellow cathedral in the centre of town.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM

466 posts, read 431,360 times
I've traveled so much that I have too many. I managed to narrow it down, but you're right, three isn't enough.

I agree about Auschwitz, sobering beyond belief. I stayed at a hostel in Krakow, where I got to know a group of travelers. We had all visited the camp separately within the few days we were all there. No matter what we were talking about, we always managed to change the topic of conversation back to our visit to Auschwitz. It was such a moving experience.

Chernobyl (Pripyat), Ukraine - For those who don't know, this is the site of one of the world's largest nuclear disasters. They offer day trips to the "exclusion zone". It was one of the most fascinating places I have ever visited and a left me with a feeling of utter loss. The guide takes you on a specific route through the area and you get to go inside several of the buildings to explore. We were told to avoid touching mushrooms and moss because they soak up radiation. The thing is, you couldn't avoid walking on the moss as it had pretty much taken over the place.

Grand Canyon - When I walked up near to the edge, I put my hand out as if I were about to touch a painting. That's how unbelievable the view was to me. I got to see a rain/lightening storm and plenty of rainbows over the canyon. We had excellent weather the entire time we visited. We watched the sunset at Yaki Point. I have a lot of fondness for that whole trip in general, even though we lost a day due to airline delays.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,752,036 times
Ireland: first time I saw a stone circle - Drombeg - also the first time I saw the Rock of Cashel

Thailand: the giant buddhas and gold temples

Uganda: getting very close to the wildlife while on a sunrise game walk

California: the first time I saw Big Sur

Scotland: (not a holiday but on my honeymoon just after I moved here) - Kilmartin which has a huge concentration of megalithic sites

Tons more!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM

329 posts, read 477,121 times
1. Napali Coast on Kauai -
2. slot canyons in Utah
(I like outdoors stuff).

3. Ankor Wat:

Old 07-16-2014, 04:33 PM

437 posts, read 617,856 times
1. Tossup between Angkor Wat and Ayutthaya

2. Easter Island and the Moai

3. The town of Roscoff, France and the extreme tidal variations

Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
1. At age 10 visiting the Wailing/Western Wall in Jerusalem.

2. The Forbidden City in Beijing and nearly getting crushed by the Chinese holiday goers (meaning never visit as a foreigner during the October week holiday).

3. The Galapagos Islands (Ecuador)

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,795,024 times
For the USA:

The Pacific Coast Highway, Big Sur, and the Redwoods.

The Grand Canyon.

The Manhattan skyline at night, from a skyscraper with a good view.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 PM

6,605 posts, read 3,681,147 times
My list is not ranked

1. Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo ruins in Peru (I know, that's two...but they go together in my mind) Awesome

2 Temple of St. Michael the Archangel in Perugis, Italy -- ( AKA Church of Sant'Angelo) 5th century Christian church - very spiritual place

3. Big trees in Sequoia NP --- a close call -- north rim of Grand Canyon is an alternative

Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM

466 posts, read 431,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My list is not ranked

1. Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo ruins in Peru (I know, that's two...but they go together in my mind) Awesome
I'm visiting Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo in September. I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or