Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 920 times

Advertisements

I would like to take a solo vacation which would involve some mountain driving (in the CO Rocky Mountains). While I have been in the mountains before, I never did any of the driving. I've heard it's rather difficult (I've looked up how to do it). Would it be a bad idea to be alone when I'm doing it for the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,919,087 times
No, Just don't go to fast. Also consider the weather.

Also depends on what you mean by Mountain Driving?
Interstates? No Issue Going alone
State Hi-ways? No Issue Going alone
County roads? As long as there is some other traffic, or well used/maintained
Dirt Road/Paths? Would take someone with you.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:51 PM

8,592 posts, read 14,773,516 times
Like flyonpa said, it all depends on where you're going and what time of year you're doing it. Summertime in the Rockies in Colorado runs from late June to mid September. During those months you will occasionally see snow showers above 12,000', but not very often.

I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction is a breeze. The speed limit is lower through the Glenwood Canyon because of tight curves.

The only really dangerous "main" roads in Colorado are US-550 between Ouray and Durango, Trail Ridge Road (US-34) through Rocky Mountain National Park, Mt. Evans Road, and the Pikes Peak Highway. All 4 of those roads have narrow spots with no shoulder, no guardrail, and steep dropoffs.

As long as you stick to the main roads, don't drive like a bat outta hell, and don't venture off onto county roads or jeep trails you should be fine.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,665,357 times
It is entirely dependent on YOUR comfort level. I've lived in California all my life and I will never be comfortable driving south along the cliffs of Highway 1. Take plenty of breaks and don';t push yourself. Remember it's supposed to be a vacation, which means FUN. Have fun!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,094,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Like flyonpa said, it all depends on where you're going and what time of year you're doing it. Summertime in the Rockies in Colorado runs from late June to mid September. During those months you will occasionally see snow showers above 12,000', but not very often.

I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction is a breeze. The speed limit is lower through the Glenwood Canyon because of tight curves.

The only really dangerous "main" roads in Colorado are US-550 between Ouray and Durango, Trail Ridge Road (US-34) through Rocky Mountain National Park, Mt. Evans Road, and the Pikes Peak Highway. All 4 of those roads have narrow spots with no shoulder, no guardrail, and steep dropoffs.

That is a pretty good assessment of the situation. I will NEVER drive US-550 between Ouray and Durango again - the drive was breathtaking ... in a not so good way.

As for the Pikes Peak Highway, it is not all that bad of a drive BUT many of us flatlanders start to feel the impact of the high altitude around 12,000 feet.

One other note. If you are unfamiliar with mountain driving, stay on the main roads and carry good maps with you at all times. Resist the temptations of back roads and forest roads.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,054,130 times
Have you travelled at altitude before? I live in Denver but can still feel a difference when I travel above about 8000 feet although I can manage ok up to about 10000 feet. Above that, I start to feel sick enough (headachy, nauseated) where I think it would not be a wise choice to drive. And that's starting off at 5000 ft as my norm. When I used to visit Denver from the east coast, the physical adjustment was even worse. So some of this may depend on your personal tolerance to being at altitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel