U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 02:58 PM

9,565 posts, read 9,437,752 times

Advertisements

Although intercity bus travel still exists, it ain't what it used to be. The only times I took a bus was when my car was being repaired when I was a grad student in the mid 1990s. I took the Greyhound from Hattiesburg, Mississippi's bus terminal (a converted drive-in bank at an abandoned shopping center) to Jackson, changed to Delta Bus Lines, and stepped off the bus at Roy's Garage, a closed auto-repair shop that served as Ruleville, Mississippi's "bus depot". One scene I remember was a woman affiliated with an Anabaptist sect (she dressed sort of Amish-like) bringing a package to deliver by "express" at the bus stop in Mount Olive (a former drive-in).
Back in the 1970s, when my older half-brothers and half-sister had to go back to their father's house in Alabama, we would take them to the long-gone Continental Trailways Bus Station in downtown Jackson. I remember it had a cafe with miniature juke boxes on each booth and pay toilets.

Do you remember when bus travel was a big thing, and bus terminals were busy places with cafes and even places for the drivers to sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,058,503 times
This was the only way to get around the Maritime province without a car when I lived there. Now over the past few years they've eliminated many rural routes due to their being unprofitable. This would include large towns and small cities too. So without a car, I don't know how people can travel to many rural areas.

I'd still take a bus to nearby cities (within a day's travel) like Montreal or Toronto.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM

6,164 posts, read 6,333,536 times
When I was a college student in the 70's I would take Greyhound between Montana and Washington a few times a year. Most of the bus stations along the way were nothing more than a bench outside of a gas station or motel.

I remember there was a full service bus station in Butte Montana. Inside there was a greasy spoon lunch counter. You had to go down a long narrow dimly lit stairway to get to the bathrooms. I think there were even a few seats that had coin operated TV's. Once after boarding the bus in Butte I heard a bunch of yelling and then the guys that loaded the bags on the busses all walked off the job. The bus driver got on the bus and said that drivers were not allowed to load bags at Butte and that if we wnted our checked bags to get loaded we would have to load them ourselves.

The old bus station in Spokane Washington was pretty awful. Not once did I ever see the lunch counter open for business. There was an ice cream bar vending machine. Some unsuspecting passenger decided to buy an ice cream bar. He put his money in and opened the dispenser door. Inside was was an ice cream bar that appeared to have been there for many years and was completely encased in frost. He never did get it unstuck from there. I remember seeing the same one or two homeless people there everytime. The bathroom still had pay toilets.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 AM

32,135 posts, read 33,044,067 times
The Port Authority Bus Station in NYC is still a very busy bus station nowadays. I usually travel by bus from it every year for the Thanksgiving holiday to visit relatives in Hartford, CT. (approx. 3 hour trip) and there are always many other travelers there as well. There are many eateries and shops within the bus terminal so I don't see the difference between now and the past except that it is a safer place than it was back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel