U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,308,910 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Need some suggestions and recs for a camera which takes good traveling pictures. This is for a 20 year old young man studying abroad throughout Africa for 4 months who usually uses an iphone for everything. He will not have the iphone with him but will have a basic global phone with him. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 03:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,818,811 times
A Nikon D80 with an 18-200 VR zoom and a polarizing filter. Compact, easy to learn, and will give him everything he needs plus some at an affordable price point.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:44 PM
JL

7,356 posts, read 11,944,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi everyone. Need some suggestions and recs for a camera which takes good traveling pictures. This is for a 20 year old young man studying abroad throughout Africa for 4 months who usually uses an iphone for everything. He will not have the iphone with him but will have a basic global phone with him. Thanks!!!
If he/she is looking for a cheap point and shoot...check this deal out..

Canon PowerShot S110 12.1MP Digital Camera + Pixma Pro-100 Printer + 50-pack Photo Paper + 16GB Lexar 400x SDHC Memory Card $185 After Rebate with free shipping
RitzCamera

Canon PowerShot S110 12.1MP Digital Camera + Pixma Pro-100 Printer + 50-pack Photo Paper + 16GB Lexar 400x SDHC Memory Card [ritzcamera.com]
Black [ritzcamera.com]
Silver [ritzcamera.com]
White [ritzcamera.com]
$585 - $400 rebate [ritzcamera.com]
= $185 with free shipping

OR if you don't want to deal with mail in rebates, just buy it at B&H Photo for $259:

Canon PowerShot S110 Digital Camera with Basic Accessory Kit B&H

If you want to go with an interchangeable lens...try the mirrorless Sony A3000 w/18-55mm lens...very small with DSLR form factor...for $398

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lr_camera.html

Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 AM

I would not go with a point and shoot for this trip. The zoom will be very limited (digital zoom is crap) and there will be no polarizing filter which is sorely needed to capture fantastic photos in bright sun. The D80 has an "auto" mode so it can be as easy to use as a point and shoot, but that lens is what will allow him to really capture fantastic photos.

The above poster obviously knows little about photography and lenses, but an 18-55 lens is what you would use to take photos at a family birthday party. Trying to take photos of wildlife in the bush or distant landmarks with that will make them look like ants in the photo. It is simply not enough zoom for great photos.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM

2,623 posts, read 5,350,839 times
> A Nikon D80 with an 18-200 VR zoom and a polarizing filter

Out of production and possibly too big. And the 18-200 zoom is expensive.

> I would not go with a point and shoot for this trip. The zoom will be very limited (digital zoom is crap)

No longer true. (Both pieces of advice may have been appropriate several years ago).

I won't recommend because- the available point and shoot models change like the weather. Unless you intend to change lenses however I DO recommend a recent point and shoot model from one of the major manufacturers. These days they are all pretty good, I would go to Best Buy or similar and try a few and pick one you like. Don't go for VERY small however, they are hard to handle and may have small sensors which does limit image quality.

Of course you can read reviews but there are so many it can rapidly turn into a full-time occupation.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 AM

7,734 posts, read 16,209,432 times
If you've got a little more than $350 to spend and want a point and shoot, (yes, size becomes an issue with DSLRs) perfessor mouse, who teaches photography for a living, has been very impressed with last generation's Sony DSC-RX100 that are still available for that price.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 AM

1,804 posts, read 6,308,910 times
Thanks. He really wanted to bring his iphone and take pictures with that, but we have decided that in order to minimize ANY types of crazy roaming charges from Verizon - we are going to suspend service to his cell phone and just have him use one of those basic world phones which we are going to buy online.

As far as price point, I was thinking under $100. The pics don't have to be National Geographic quality and will veer more toward images of new friends, day to day life, the cities, that type of thing. He will be there studying and hasn't decided if he will go on a safari, though he will likely do some type of nature excursion.

Also, if anyone has input re something different for the cell phone, I would be glad to hear it. I'm still not clear on the technical aspects of cell phone service suspension and will have to speak to Verizon again - I get different answers from them every time I ask a question!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 AM
JL

7,356 posts, read 11,944,470 times
Quote:
Thanks. He really wanted to bring his iphone and take pictures with that, but we have decided that in order to minimize ANY types of crazy roaming charges from Verizon - we are going to suspend service to his cell phone and just have him use one of those basic world phones which we are going to buy online.

As far as price point, I was thinking under $100. The pics don't have to be National Geographic quality and will veer more toward images of new friends, day to day life, the cities, that type of thing. He will be there studying and hasn't decided if he will go on a safari, though he will likely do some type of nature excursion.

Also, if anyone has input re something different for the cell phone, I would be glad to hear it. I'm still not clear on the technical aspects of cell phone service suspension and will have to speak to Verizon again - I get different answers from them every time I ask a question!
I had a feeling being 20yrs old, he would want something cheap, but under $100 could be hard to do for quality. The Canon p&s is very good for most already....good value for good pics....i was going to recommend the Sony RX100 in the previous post, but thought better about him being 20yrs old and not wanting to spend that kind of money.

The new entry level Sony A3000 comes with the 18-55mm lens.....it actually had a sale two months ago for $250....he could always buy the 55-210 lens separately for around $350...but then i thought again about his age and so likely he couldn't afford it($700 pricing at max for A3000, 18-55mm lens, and 55-210mm). The Sony mirrorless cameras are small,light,and compact...not a burden to carry around which many 20yr olds would probably prefer over the Nikon D90.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> A Nikon D80 with an 18-200 VR zoom and a polarizing filter

Out of production and possibly too big. And the 18-200 zoom is expensive.

> I would not go with a point and shoot for this trip. The zoom will be very limited (digital zoom is crap)

No longer true. (Both pieces of advice may have been appropriate several years ago).

I won't recommend because- the available point and shoot models change like the weather. Unless you intend to change lenses however I DO recommend a recent point and shoot model from one of the major manufacturers. These days they are all pretty good, I would go to Best Buy or similar and try a few and pick one you like. Don't go for VERY small however, they are hard to handle and may have small sensors which does limit image quality.

Of course you can read reviews but there are so many it can rapidly turn into a full-time occupation.
You are right, the D-80 is no longer made, although can still be found at great prices. You could also go for a D3200. I stand by my statement that digital zoom is crap. Additionally you can't put a polarizing filter on a P&S--and that one small item will mean the difference between so-so and spectacular photos in bright day light.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Given the price point, and P&S from Canon or Nikon will be about the same and give OK photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel