U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM

70 posts, read 87,132 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody I will do my best to make this as detailed as possible.

Recently booked a flight to go to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on a one way ticket in September. However I will be transiting in Hong Kong for about 14 hours but the thing is that I am thinking of skipping my last segment of my flight to Kuala Lumpur and spend a couple of days to stay in Hong Kong. Then I will like to visit Macau and eventually get to Taiwan because I been wanting to go there for so long. From there, I will eventually go to Southeast Asia.

The thing is what should I do when I am at immigration in Hong Kong. Should I just show my ticket to Kuala Lumpur as a way to see that I will be getting out of the country? Should I just tell them that I will be purchasing a ferry ticket to Macau?? Should I just cancel my last segment of my flight and call Cathay Pacific after I am out of Immigration and customs? Should I just show my bank statements that I have the funds to stay in Hong Kong?

I'm flying on Cathay Pacific from Los Angeles International Airport at 1am in the morning. I'm planning to carry my backpack with me and have no intention in checking in my baggage. I also will be checking in online for my check in and printing my tickets at home so I will not have to deal with the travel agent at the airport counter.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 PM

6,168 posts, read 6,336,573 times
I could be wrong but I think your plans will raise all sorts of red flags. Officials at Hong Kong seem to not like it when things do not happen the way they expect.

A couple years ago I flew thru Hong Kong as a load master on a cargo flight. We crew rested in Hong Kong. The next day we went to the airport. At the crew immigration access point the three pilots and the mechanic were waved thru. When I started thru I was stopped. The official told me only crew were allowed thru. The official said I was not a crew member. I showed him my crew ID and a copy of the crew manifest which I was listed on. The official again told me I was not crew. I again showed my crew ID and paperwork. The official looked at me and said "you are not a crew member. You are not wearing a white shirt.". I had my blue loadmaster shirt on.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 AM

12,365 posts, read 18,459,289 times
Not exactly sure how Hong Kong works because it's a bit different then the rest of mainland China - but if your passport is current and you have a current Chinese visa then you don't even have to worry about immigration at all. Just show them passport and visa. If it's the same as the Mainland - if you don't have that Chinese visa BEFORE you get to China, if you are a US citizen, you aren't entering The Peoples Republic of China. You can't get it at the airport. Again - Hong Kong might be a bit different however.

What I would worry about is your return flight. If you get off early and don't show up for your last segment, they may cancel all your remaining flight segments.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,926,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not exactly sure how Hong Kong works because it's a bit different then the rest of mainland China - but if your passport is current and you have a current Chinese visa then you don't even have to worry about immigration at all. Just show them passport and visa. If it's the same as the Mainland - if you don't have that Chinese visa BEFORE you get to China, if you are a US citizen, you aren't entering The Peoples Republic of China. You can't get it at the airport. Again - Hong Kong might be a bit different however.

What I would worry about is your return flight. If you get off early and don't show up for your last segment, they may cancel all your remaining flight segments.
yes that would be my worry

Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM

437 posts, read 618,986 times
HK Immigration has never spoken a word to me during immigration procedures, just checked my passport and handed it back with the little entry printout. If they ask about your future travel plans, I'd tell them about the ticket, but you should get the standard 90 day entry permission regardless assuming you are traveling on a US passport. Once you leave the immigration desk, no one is tracking your onward travel plans. You might want to tell Cathay Pacific that you had a change of plans and will not be using the final leg, or not. Don't expect a refund if you do.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM

556 posts, read 763,678 times
Definitely let the airline know that you are not going to fly the last segment. You probably won't get a refund, but if you don't tell them, they may waste a lot of time/energy trying to track you down in the airport at boarding time. Also, while you do not intend to check you bag, you may end up checking anyway if the flights and bins are full (less likely on international flights, but it happens). If you end up checking baggage at the last minute and the airline isn't aware of your change in plans, you will have a hard time getting your bags back. It will also raise lots of red flags if your bags somehow make it on to the flight you have decided to skip.

Even if you manage to skip the ticket counter at LAX, you will have to show your passport/visa to the gate agent. I'm not aware of any airline that will let you board an international flight without visual confirmation of travel documents. They risk big fines if they let you travel to a country without the right paperwork.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,545,724 times
I don't know anything about traveling to China or elsewhere in Asia. But considering the state of things worldwide, I would just book your flights in accord with what you actually plan to do and then do that. If that means calling the airline and canceling or re-scheduling certain segments then whatever surcharge that costs seems small in exchange for not having to worry about what may transpire when it's time to board your plan back home or wherever.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:18 PM

Thanks so much for responding guys. I really appreciate this. keep it coming.

Yes I wan to let everybody know that I have a US Passport and I was born in the states. I have no interested in coming back to the states at all for many reason . Anyways I just want to travel around east and southeast Asia until my money runs out. Then I will like to teach English in either Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, or Thailand. Maybe in Taiwan. I'm not too sure. My budget is about 12,000 dollars. can I just show that to the ticket agent that I have the funds to buy a "supposed" return ticket home?

Another thing that I will like to point out is that I'm of Latino descent (I have dark skin ), will that raise red flags when I'm at Immigration in Hong Kong?

I'm planning to dress up with nice collar shirt, slacks, and leather shoes just so that immigration or the gate agent could not give me crap. I was thinking of buying a bus ticket to Singapore or buy a cheap ticket out of Malaysia to satisfy the gate agent at LAX. Is that a good idea??

Do you guys know if the airline will charge me a fee for canceling the last segment of my international connecting flight going from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur?

So I just tell them to cancel the last segment of my flight before I board or after I pass through immigration in Hong Kong???

Thanks again everybody.

Last edited by Adventurer2009; 07-22-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 01:30 PM

556 posts, read 763,678 times
If you are truly not planning to return to the US, you need to do a lot more research. Try reading some expat blogs/forums, and check out Lonely Planet - they cater to the low budget, backpacking crowd.

Depending on when, where, and how long you are traveling, Every country is going to have different entry requirements. Some will require visa applications and approval before you even board the plane, while others will let you purchase a visa at the airport, and some just stamp your passport and waive you through. They may require anything from 30 days to 6 months of eligibility left on your passport. They might refuse entry based on stamps from other countries in your passport. They may require proof of onward travel in the form of a ticket or reservation, or may not require any documentation at all. You might have to show proof of hotel reservations, or not. The bottom line is that dressing smart and having a bank statement is not sufficient.

You plans a skirting the law very closely. If you are not careful, you may end up in jail, being deported, or being stranded without the means or documentation to stay or go.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks I really appreciate this mpheels. Yeah I will read more into Lonely planets more then. I have been browsing to other forums as well about this.

Yea I'm been doing a lot of research on this. I know that since I have a US passport, I know that I get granted visa free in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Thailand, etc. I have a lot of time left on my US passport and I know that in these countries that I mention, they do require either a proof of onward travel to another country. So I could just buy a random ticket out of the country like the low budget airlines such as Air Asia.

I know that in Hong Kong, I know that I get my visa free for 90 days. Macau for 90 days. Taiwan for 90 days. Malaysia for 90 days. Singapore for 90 days. All these places I could get them on arrival. I think Indonesia , Thailand or the Philippines are about 30 days but could be extended if I pay for a extended visa.

I know that India, China, Myanmar, Vietnam, North Korea, etc do require a visa in advance and are much more strict in terms of what type of documentation do they need such as a confirm page of a hotel and an onward/return ticket.

Yeah I will be careful about that. I honestly don't want that. I just like to see my options. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or