U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,490,556 times

Advertisements

i wear a sport coat
it's good for phone, hotel key card, passport, ID etc
plus it looks semi dressy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 05:14 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,167,874 times
Warm clothes to put on if it's cool, light clothes if it turns hot, dressy clothes for going out for a nice supper and my Birkenstocks! lol Nothing worse than sore feet on a trip.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:29 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,094,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I wasn't familiar with that particular dress. I looked it up and I love it! What type of shoes do you wear with it other than the boots? Let's say in the spring when it's too chilly for sandals and you don't necessarily want to wear boots. Thanks!!
I own the dress in black and two different colors/patterns, I love them! The bonus is that they dry quickly if you have a catastrophic spill and need to wash it in the hotel room sink! If I am in between sandal and boot season, I usually wear it with flats. I'll do nude flats with the more colorful dresses.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 PM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
a pair of good flat shoes such as boat shoes and or running shoes , a scarf and a couple of sweaters .

Old 07-30-2014, 07:05 PM

37 posts, read 31,097 times
My oversized cashmere hoody. Always kick myself when I don't bring it. Lightweight, instant warmth anywhere.
Looks cute belted with jeans, makes a great hotel robe and pool cover-up. Like a cosy security blanket.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM

4,492 posts, read 2,877,828 times
A simple but handy coat or jacket. Especially lite enough that I can put in my bag and not have to carry around when not needed.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm another traveller who goes with only a carry-on bag. This is for trips of 1 to 2 weeks. It can be done.

Light-weight synthetic blouses are my favourite travel clothes. They can be layer with tank tops underneath and a cardigan on top of them if it's chilly. If it's warm, I can wear the blouses with the sleeves rolled up. I can wash them in a hotel sink and they dry overnight, while taking up very little room in the suitcase.

Comfortable shoes are a necessity, I only take shoes that I've broken in for a couple of weeks beforehand.
Clothes are easy but how do you handle the liquids? Fine for the small bottles of 50ml or less, but I don't want to spend tons of time trying to shop for all my unscented toiletries (I'm allergic), bottle of eye wash, eye drops, nasal wash, toothpaste, mouthwash, hand gel, lip cream, etc etc. And try finding these items in a country where you don't speak the language and can't read the labels.

I also have to carry a camera backpack to hold all the lenses, etc. That would be two carry ons.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:15 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I do lots of printed tops, but my pants/skirts are all solid (usually black or charcoal). All the tops and bottoms are completely interchangeable. Not limited at all.
I do the opposite, LOL. I wear plain shirts and patterned skirts.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I have a pashmina/loop scarf thing that I almost always have with me on a plane. It is a blanket, a pillow, a scarf and nicely hides stains on my shirt in case of spillage en route!

I find dresses to be versatile when traveling for work or pleasure. I love the Prana Quinn dress. It packs small and doesn't wrinkle. i can wear leggings and boots underneath it in the winter, bare legs and sandals in the summer. I pair it with a cardigan for work to cover the shoulders or in the colder months.

Speaking of cardigans, I am a big fan of mix and match clothes when traveling: fitted tees, cardigan and neutral pants (like jeans or black pants). That way any shirt will go with any pant or sweater.
I bought several pashmina years ago in Thailand and still use them all the time. Keep one stashed in each car as well. Although this last flight , my 4yo daughter snagged it to cuddle with and fell asleep. O opted for chilly arms over waking her up.

We spent June, July and half of August in Hawaii. I bought two Quinns to wear there and am considering a black one now that we are moving into fall.

Winter and Fall, I wear my BOC leather slip-ons. I'm on my second pair.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:13 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
I always bring black yoga pants and a longer tunic type top, a pair of fuzzy socks, and a pashmina. Everything else depends on the season/weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel