Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:02 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what you can't travel without. I know it depends if you're going somewhere tropical or a ski vacation, cruise, etc.

I always wear a 3/4 length coat w/hood. Mainly because most planes have the air on and I like wearing my coat and will also wear the hood while flying, I usually bring lots of scarves with me some are cotton/rayon casual. I'll wear if it's get cold others that I have I'll wear more as a shawl little more dressy for evening, they're so convenient and lightweight.

Also this saves me on the plane to not use their blankets - yuck

Also, usually bring a pair of gloves, and plain white tees Sometimes I just can't think what to wear so I start with a plain white tee short/long sleeve (depending on weather) and start laying with one of my scarves

This is a nice way to not overpack and travel light. Especially since I usually want to buy something wherever I go, usually a lightweight type of sweater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
OP:

Going by your moniker, maybe some LPs... ...? :-)

Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I have a pashmina/loop scarf thing that I almost always have with me on a plane. It is a blanket, a pillow, a scarf and nicely hides stains on my shirt in case of spillage en route!

I find dresses to be versatile when traveling for work or pleasure. I love the Prana Quinn dress. It packs small and doesn't wrinkle. i can wear leggings and boots underneath it in the winter, bare legs and sandals in the summer. I pair it with a cardigan for work to cover the shoulders or in the colder months.

Speaking of cardigans, I am a big fan of mix and match clothes when traveling: fitted tees, cardigan and neutral pants (like jeans or black pants). That way any shirt will go with any pant or sweater.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 AM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I have a pashmina/loop scarf thing that I almost always have with me on a plane. It is a blanket, a pillow, a scarf and nicely hides stains on my shirt in case of spillage en route!

I find dresses to be versatile when traveling for work or pleasure. I love the Prana Quinn dress. It packs small and doesn't wrinkle. i can wear leggings and boots underneath it in the winter, bare legs and sandals in the summer. I pair it with a cardigan for work to cover the shoulders or in the colder months.

Speaking of cardigans, I am a big fan of mix and match clothes when traveling: fitted tees, cardigan and neutral pants (like jeans or black pants). That way any shirt will go with any pant or sweater.
Same here. I always pack a pashmina/loop scarf. You never know when/how it'll come in handy. I also bring a few cardigans and change up the t-shirts. This keeps my suitcase light. When traveling, I try and keep to one color scheme. That way, I can mix and match without over packing.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
It depends on where I am and what time of year it is, but always these:

-Comfortable shoes

-A large, lightweight wrap that can be used to warmth or as a head/shoulder covering if I enter a place of worship where that's appropriate

-A black sundress that can be dressed up or down

Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
I have traveled all over the world, and people say I travel heavy. Whatever.

I always bring a full change of clothes in my carryon bag. It's nice in case I spill something on the plane or my checked luggage gets delayed.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I always bring a full change of clothes in my carryon bag. It's nice in case I spill something on the plane or my checked luggage gets delayed.
I do this too. It came in handy once when my checked luggage arrived a day after me.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
My black knit pants or long skirts. They don't wrinkle, go with everything, can be dressed up or dressed down, they're super comfortable, and take a LOT less room in my suitcase than jeans.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I travel light or heavy, depending on the destination and the availability of luggage assistance. For me, the one thing I can't do without no matter what the destination is a pair of really comfortable shoes. I'd never take new shoes on a trip. It's so hard for me to find really comfortable shoes that I wouldn't have much hope in being able to find a pair at my destination, so I make sure I have two pairs (one to wear and one to pack) with me.

The other thing that I always take, although this doesn't come under the heading of clothing or accessories, is a travel sleep-sound machine and a couple of pairs of earplugs. With the machine going and wearing earplugs I don't hear anything, so noisy hotel rooms don't affect me.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
The other thing that I always take, although this doesn't come under the heading of clothing or accessories, is a travel sleep-sound machine and a couple of pairs of earplugs. With the machine going and wearing earplugs I don't hear anything, so noisy hotel rooms don't affect me.
If you have a smart phone, ditch the sound machine and download an app. I love falling asleep to the sound of ocean waves in the middle of New York City. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel