U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a good packer?
Yes, I roll (my clothes) in style. 41 82.00%
No, I have too many suitcases. 7 14.00%
I never go anywhere! 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,692,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
This poll needs to be changed to 'are you a light packer?' because packing light does not always = very good. Example: going on an important business trip and packing nothing but one pair of ripped jeans and a tee (depending on your business of course), or going to Fairbanks in Feb and not bringing a bulky jacket. Also, I know it's a pun, but choice #1 implies that rolling is always the best way to pack, which I disagree with unless you can't fold well. I didn't answer the poll yet, BTW.
I was thinking roll as in a packing technique and a pun. But I was hoping light implied still including the stuff you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I pack a lot in the suitcase and still meet the carry-on weight requirement. I pack lightweight clothes and layer and fold rather than rolling (fewer wrinkles).
Rolling is awesome! . It works well for a surprising amount of fabrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am headed on a trip this week to my family reunion. I remember the first one I went to, my cousins were floored at the size of my suitcase. My sister and I, typically have the farthest to go and the smallest suitcases! Everyone had 2x more suitcases than we did. They were shocked and amazed at the amount of stuff we cold fit in the standard carry-on sized bag. Now we are officially known as the packing masters of the family.

So my question to you, are you a good packer?
I am a great packer: one thing, we know how to mix and match and we don't care if someone sees us in the same outfit more than once. I don't need 5 pr of shoes for a week long cruise, just tennis shoes, and maybe 2 pair of sandals. I also saw a video about packing and rolling your cloths. It really isn't the best way. If I could I would give your the website, but I can't remember it for the life of me. Someone traveling on a princess cruise we were going to be on a few years ago posted it. Most of us were limited because of airline rules, it was one of those cruises that was going from Quebec, in the fall with chilly weather into other parts of Canada and down the Atlantic coast into the warm southern temp. plus it was 14 days. We all needed to know how to pack sensible. It had to do with folding the clothes over one another. I would have to draw a pic to help people understand, but believe me it works.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
I'm leaving to see family for the weekend Friday. I'm taking two pair of shorts, two tops, two changes of underwear, a light jacket (cool evenings where I am going), a light bathrobe (staying with family), pair of socks for the plane, a set of yoga clothes, a 3-1-1 bag, a small makeup bag, my neck pillow, travel yoga mat, iPad, iPhone, that's about it. It will all fit easily into my small duffle. I'll wear the same sandals every day.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM

15,082 posts, read 19,036,218 times
We don't check luggage on the outbound flights anymore. EVER. So we've had to become great packers. Rolling used to be our standard, but then I discovered these lightweight packing cubes. They are the bomb! Pants and skirts in the big one, blouses and shirts in the medium sized, nightgowns and underwear in whichever one has extra space, toiletries and jewelry in the small one, along with our medications.

IF the airline wants to check our bag at the gate (it happens more often than I'd like), I just grab the small bag and carry it on the plane. ANYTHING that we do not want to lose (like medications) is in that bag.

Unpacking is a breeze. In fact, many times I've just take the bags out and placed them in drawers, removing clothes as I need them. When they are dirty, they go into a plastic bag in the suitcase. Whatever never gets worn is still in the packing cube when we get home, still clean and ready to wear. Obviously, some trips required doing laundry along the way and sometimes I bring this very lightweight daypack from Rick Steve's.

Some people also get extra cubes for shoes.

These things have traveled with us on a four week winter vacation in Europe, including 21 days on a cruise ship, 3 week road trips, a long weekend, etc.

Just amazing what a difference they can make.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,930,213 times
I usually pack very lightly. I like to challenge myself to see how neatly and compactly I can pack, and how small of a bag I can use. It's very freeing on some types of trips to have just the bare minimum of luggage (for example, one of those "5 cities in 9 days" European vacations.)

My travel wardrobe tends to be kind of basic, monochromatic. Stuff that can be washed and hung to dry. I don't pack anything that doesn't also go with everything else I've packed. I accessorize and change up the look with cute scarves or big chunky costume jewelry necklaces. First time I ever packed this way, I thought I was going to hate not having lots of options, but I wound up loving the simplicity.

I did wind up packing a lot when I went to my sister's wedding because it was a very formal affair and there were lots of different parties and other wedding related events all week. So I needed my bridesmaid's dress/shoes/accessories as well as outfits/shoes/evening bags for the rehearsal dinner, some cocktail parties, brunches, etc.

I usually roll, but lately I've been intrigued by the little compression envelopes they sell at places like The Container Store -- each holds 2-3 outfits. Anyone ever used them?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,838,588 times
One thing that is ALWAYS good to bring anywhere is a Swimsuit. I never pack without one.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,917,673 times
I am a very good packer. My job requires me to travel about 60% of the time, so I have to have learned how to pack and what to bring..and what NOT to bring.

I always have the following in my bag:
small cosmetics bag
one set of undies and socks per day
one LIGHT pair of casual shoes (yes, that is enough..even if going for a week)
meds including first aid kit and bandaids
bathing suit

Also, if I am going for a week or two...vacation travel...I bring 3 colors of clothing. Red, black and white. All colors always go with each other. Example: black pants, white top can the next day become black pants with red top. White pants with black top then becomes white pants with red top. We always find a place to do laundry if we are gone for more than 6 days...hotel laundry or coin op place near the hotel. You dont need an outfit for every day. Period.

People overpack. Some of the rolling bags I see at the airports are big enough to fit a body into LOL No, they DO NOT fit into the overheads.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,450,345 times
I've been gone nearly 3 months now and I have only a 20L sack (with an additional 4L compartment) filled with only an iPad, camera, chargers, adaptor, 5 t-shirts, 5 pairs of underwear, 2 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of pants, swimming shorts, long sleeve denim shirt, basic toiletries bag, two guidebooks, a spare set of glasses, towel, passport, and that's it. I don't need a single extra thing. The clothes give me about a week before I have to do laundry, anyways. I always roll my clothes.

Here is the bag:
Mountain Equipment Co-op - Klettersack 40th Edition member reviews - product reviews - read top member ratings

Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,036,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

I usually roll, but lately I've been intrigued by the little compression envelopes they sell at places like The Container Store -- each holds 2-3 outfits. Anyone ever used them?
Yep. They wrinkled everything badly. I returned them. These packing cubes work so much better, and are lighter. I'm not the only one raving - look at the Amazon reviews! (and such pretty colors, too.)

Old 08-07-2014, 05:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,930,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yep. They wrinkled everything badly. I returned them. These packing cubes work so much better, and are lighter. I'm not the only one raving - look at the Amazon reviews! (and such pretty colors, too.)
Thanks for the info! I have a vacation coming up and was curious to try a different packing method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel