U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a good packer?
Yes, I roll (my clothes) in style. 41 82.00%
No, I have too many suitcases. 7 14.00%
I never go anywhere! 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 AM

112 posts, read 110,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am headed on a trip this week to my family reunion. I remember the first one I went to, my cousins were floored at the size of my suitcase. My sister and I, typically have the farthest to go and the smallest suitcases! Everyone had 2x more suitcases than we did. They were shocked and amazed at the amount of stuff we cold fit in the standard carry-on sized bag. Now we are officially known as the packing masters of the family.

So my question to you, are you a good packer?
I am not really a good packer, because although I make sure that I don't pack too much, I think I could still manage to pack fewer items.

I think it's a good idea to lay out your outfits before packing them, to gain a better understanding of how you will utilize each clothing piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I would define good packing as
1 Taking exacltly what I need
2 Having anything I need handy when I arrive
And 3
Not having anything on hand that I do not need.

The Ex had a terrible habit on car trips, which she learned from her family. Pack the car to the gills. Pack boxes full of towels, blanket, pillows, extra clothes, books, games, photos, everything in the med cabinet, creature comforts, anything and everything, If there was empty space in the trunk, fill it with something. Then do the same with inside of the car. Never know what you might need at a hotel, right?

Turned me off to traveling that way.

Being a frequent cruiser, I am still trying to perfect my packing style. I have learned a few things. One, when you have a pair of slacks that are starting to get frayed, those are the ones to take on a trip. And they are not taken home. Same with old Tshirts, as it is easier to even buy cheaper used clothes with the plan of ditching them. This leaves the suitcase almost empty for the return home, and if you want to collect a souvenir (which oddly enough, last trip was mostly Tshirts) then there is plenty of room for them in the suitcase.

On a cruise, I have to take nice clothes for dinner but I found that rather than two suits, one dress jacket with two slacks and two different ties is a better choice, and jeans are versatile enough for any dinner on casual night.

I have perfected the toiletries by purchasing small bottles, filling them with shampoo and soap, as well as travel size cologne and taking only what I plan to use.
We stopped cruising lines that have a dress code which requires a suit. We only cruise lines that have an every night smart casual dress code. Jeans are way too bulky and hot for many locales. Saves a ton of packing space, and IMHO, a lot of pretentiousness when my husband can pack a couple pair of linen pants or chinos, a few polos, and a couple of Guayaberas and have everything he needs for evening and daytime in places where long pants are required.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM

72,034 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We stopped cruising lines that have a dress code which requires a suit. We only cruise lines that have an every night smart casual dress code. Jeans are way too bulky and hot for many locales. Saves a ton of packing space, and IMHO, a lot of pretentiousness when my husband can pack a couple pair of linen pants or chinos, a few polos, and a couple of Guayaberas and have everything he needs for evening and daytime in places where long pants are required.
Boy do we agree on that one: I don't care if you are Windstar cruiser or a Carnival cruiser, the days of formal dressing and cruising do not go together. We can survive easily of a few changes, lots of mix and match and certainly nothing even resembling formal attire. To us formal means a dress shirt for hubby and a really nice pant suit or skirt and blouse for me. That is probably one night per cruise. And no, this doesn't mean anyone needs to look like a slob. As you say, nice polo type shirts or sport shirts, and docker type pants work well. For me, nice capris, blouses and slacks serve the purpose.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:33 PM

60 posts, read 54,952 times
I'm never a good packer. I only bring one suitcase for myself, but it's always so disorganized. I usually just stuff things in a random order, then bother to organize it later. It's a bad habit; mom still complains!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Boy do we agree on that one: I don't care if you are Windstar cruiser or a Carnival cruiser, the days of formal dressing and cruising do not go together. We can survive easily of a few changes, lots of mix and match and certainly nothing even resembling formal attire. To us formal means a dress shirt for hubby and a really nice pant suit or skirt and blouse for me. That is probably one night per cruise. And no, this doesn't mean anyone needs to look like a slob. As you say, nice polo type shirts or sport shirts, and docker type pants work well. For me, nice capris, blouses and slacks serve the purpose.
I find it ironic that the pretentiousness of a formal night is still in full gear on the cheap mass market lines, while it's been dropped on the luxury lines.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 PM

72,034 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I find it ironic that the pretentiousness of a formal night is still in full gear on the cheap mass market lines, while it's been dropped on the luxury lines.
actually I think the only line that still has a relatively strict formal night code is Princess and I guess Celebrity as well. MSC does but I don't consider it really a mass marketed line. It is still a bit small for that. NCL of course did away with formal nights years ago, Carnival talks about formal nights, but I don't think many really pay too much attention to it and RCI it seems to depend on the ship...We did do Princess a few years ago, from Canada down the Atlantic to Ft Lauderdale. Due to the changing temps we really did have to pack carefully. We choose to forgo the formal nights and do a more casual dress. We were assured we would be fine. Well, even at the buffet some people were in their best formal attire. We were so out of place we didn't even go to the public areas those nights. We grabbed a bite to eat and stayed in our cabin. That ended our Princess cruising.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually I think the only line that still has a relatively strict formal night code is Princess and I guess Celebrity as well. MSC does but I don't consider it really a mass marketed line. It is still a bit small for that. NCL of course did away with formal nights years ago, Carnival talks about formal nights, but I don't think many really pay too much attention to it and RCI it seems to depend on the ship...We did do Princess a few years ago, from Canada down the Atlantic to Ft Lauderdale. Due to the changing temps we really did have to pack carefully. We choose to forgo the formal nights and do a more casual dress. We were assured we would be fine. Well, even at the buffet some people were in their best formal attire. We were so out of place we didn't even go to the public areas those nights. We grabbed a bite to eat and stayed in our cabin. That ended our Princess cruising.
Cunard is mass market outside of Queen's Grill and still has formal nights. I would consider MSC mass market for sure.

My husband has rented tuxes in the past, and it's easy to pack a pair of silk or chiffon cocktail pants and top. They weigh nothing and take no space.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:43 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,041,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmARandomAnonymousUser View Post
I'm never a good packer. I only bring one suitcase for myself, but it's always so disorganized. I usually just stuff things in a random order, then bother to organize it later. It's a bad habit; mom still complains!
I used to suffer with the same thing, more with my husband than with my packing. And I've mentioned this solution before, but I'll recommend them AGAIN - packing cubes.

I LOVE THESE THINGS.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:31 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,995,331 times
Anybody who has seen what I pack wonder how I fit it all. Because of health reasons I have to pack stuff that most people don't. I know how to use up every inch and cranny and tuck things here 'n' there. The caveat: A heavy suitcase, even the carry-on.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I used to suffer with the same thing, more with my husband than with my packing. And I've mentioned this solution before, but I'll recommend them AGAIN - packing cubes.

I LOVE THESE THINGS.
I see those and see nothing but a lot of space taken up with something utterly unnecessary. Those take up the equivalent of 2-3 items of clothing, and don't allow you to tuck things into every crevice in the suitcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel