U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I cant tell you how tired I am of hearing this myth. No airline, at least my (major) company changed seat sizes in over 18 years. That is simply NOT true. People are just getting larger. I have worked the same aircraft for over 17 years and never, not ONCE, have seat sizes changed.

Also, you realize, don't you, that airlines are not non-profits. People are not willing to pay a higher ticket price to accomodate higher fuel prices, so airlines start charging for little stuff. No, I dont like it either...mostly because people complain to me about it and I have ZERO control over what they charge. And yes, seats are filled to the max, that is how profits are made. Sorry you dont like full planes. Airline stock holders do...more seats filled, more profit. The good old days of roomy flying are over.

As for larger passengers, I sympathize with those who have to sit with someone who spills into their space. If I see that and I do have a free seat somewhere else, i will offer it to the person being squeezed. However, if there are no seats, I dont know what people expect flight crew to do. There are seldom extra seats available.
FlightAtendant,

Thanks for educating some of us. I too thought airlines had, over the past few years, made the seats smaller and smaller to squeeze in more people and get extra money. Hearing this from you, a person who would know, we'll just have to face facts: Americans have become too fat. Instead of asking for bigger seats, many should become smaller themselves. It's not like they'd be losing something vital being that having the extra girth is unhealthy anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,084,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for educating some of us. I too thought airlines had, over the past few years, made the seats smaller and smaller to squeeze in more people and get extra money. Hearing this from you, a person who would know, we'll just have to face facts: Americans have become too fat. Instead of asking for bigger seats, many should become smaller themselves. It's not like they'd be losing something vital being that having the extra girth is unhealthy anyway.
This is not helpful information.
Long story short, in a true free-market environment, the airlines would proactively adjust. If we "normal size" persons aren't being accommodated, that's the airlines' fault, not the fault the oversize persons.

And anyone of "normal size" who pays for an extra seat in an effort to gain comfort shouldn't ever be pressured to give up that seat, as the testimony of many has indicated is the case.
DH and I routinely pay for an extra seat or two at theatre performances and sporting events, so that we have a little elbow room and space to stash our stuff. We've never encountered any problems in doing so, but it appears this strategy won't work for airlines and that's their bad.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I always shoot for the aisle seat. I may not get it, but I will do everything I can to do so.

The problem isn't the size of the person in the seat. It is that there is a seat next to you, and if the person in front of you decides to be a jerk and lean their seat back you are trapped.
On a long haul you expect seats to be upright the entire flight? Dream on.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Would love to the US deregulate so some foreign airlines could come in and offer real competition to the flying buses we have. It would be everywhere, but Emirates or someone similar would love to operate on the routes between major cities. Once that happened the US airlines would have to start offering real service.
Emirats would charge a premium price. The only reason they aren't a LOT more expensive is that being state own, and with the state owning the fuel, they are very subsidized.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly so! It is clear that civility is gone once one exits the jetway onto the aircraft! I refuse to pay big money to be packed in like a sardine,treated more like a burden than a customer and then be treated to the usual self absorbed "it's all about me" how dare you recline (no matter how slow),I want everyone to smell my cheap perfume,I want both armrests and my kid can scream/kick your seat if he/she wants to,I love sardine sandwiches fellow cattle (passengers).

Sadly I do have to say that if I or my family member were spoken to or treated like some on here profess that they would (you know who you are) they just might "slip and fall" when we all arrive at baggage pickup. Oopsie...

Most things I let roll off my back as not worth my time or effort but outright nasty,rude,tactless and insulting behavior just for the sake of showing how big you are on the plane is not one of 'em.
What does your attempt to break and arm have to do with anyone else? Keep in mind that savvy travelers pack light and don't check bags.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have also read that seats aren't narrower than in the past, however, this article says otherwise:
Passengers Feel the Pinch as Airlines Seats Shrink

What is indisputable however, is that there in less clearance between rows. It isn't just a weight issue, I'm not overweight, but I am tall. Flying, unless I can get a aisle seat, is miserable. I've knocked knees with more fellow travelers than I've had my seat encroached upon. And, honestly, it really doesn't bother me to be seated next to a larger person, certainly not to the point of calling them cows, pigs, etc, as I've reads here. Give me a heavy, happy seatmate over a grumbling elitist anytime.
Perhaps you didn't understand why I was calling her a cow. It had nothing to do with her weight. It had to do with her refusal to move so a child could use the bathroom. That is being a cow. Otherwise I would refer to her as a customer of size, which is the term the airlines use.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Since you mention logical reasoning, I disagree with you. If any feature has two states, it is built with the understanding that either state is a valid use case for that user for that situation. If an arm rest was never meant to be raised up, it would not have that option.
Fine, leave it up, but don't DARE cross your body parts into my seat or touch me.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I so agree and the posters using words like cow, pig etc are either suffering from keyboard muscles and wouldn't dare do in public what they claim they would or they are just nasty people I hope I never have the misfortune of having to sit next to on a flight.

There are many reasons a person could be obese, eating too many cheeseburgers isn't the only one.
I don't know what the answer as far as seating is, but rude obnoxious behavior doesn't solve anything.
Actually if someone was refusing to get up and let a child out to use the rest room, I would call them something else to their face--I can't use it on these forums, but it sounds like witch.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Wow that is a great policy.....now if we could only work around the leg room., my husband would be delighted, both of his arm rests can go down, he is not over weight just tall
Almost all carriers have extra legroom seats which can be booked for a small upcharge ($5-50 depending on the length of the flight.) Choose PE for internationals.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Were they emergency exit row seats? If so I believe those seats don't recline.
At one time coach was coach now they up charge coach seats if you want the exit row, if you want the bulkhead.
Because of the mergers the competition isn't there anymore.

Depending on where I go I may try southwest next time...also for west coast I've heard good things about Air Alaska and Hawaii Air
Most emergency doors are located by two rows of seats. The forward row and the row ahead of that don't recline, the rear row does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or