U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is a reasonable way to handle it. But can't help but wonder what they would do with the person.

I've noticed many passengers with limited mobility. One elderly man I sat next to was so out of it I wondered what he would do in case of an emergency. He could barely move. Took him forever to get off the plane. What would he have done in case of an emergency?
Been trampled and left for dead. not being rude, being truthful. If my mother (who lives independently and is still pretty mobile but definitely slower than she once was) needed to fly, I would gladly pay for the extra ticket for someone to fly with her if I was unable to do so myself in order to assist her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Correct. Emergency exit rows (and the row in front of emergency exit rows) don't recline.
Not quite--I explained it above.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Almost all carriers have extra legroom seats which can be booked for a small upcharge ($5-50 depending on the length of the flight.) Choose PE for internationals.
Or Economy Comfort on Delta. You also get off the plane quicker, which is nice for tight connections (whether planned or unplanned, I always seem to have a 45 minute connection and a two terminal hike in Atlanta) and on international flights, it gets you a place further ahead in the line at immigration & customs.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,197,923 times
Quote:
Emirats would charge a premium price. The only reason they aren't a LOT more expensive is that being state own, and with the state owning the fuel, they are very subsidized.
Just an example. Pretty much any international carrier out of the middle east or asia would be better than any US carrier. I'll take FlyDubai (Emirates low cost carrier) over a US carrier any day.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,197,923 times
Quote:
On a long haul you expect seats to be upright the entire flight? Dream on.
I have done multiple 16 hour flights without doing so. About half the time those in front of me were decent people who did not lean their seat back either.

Leaning your seat back is a jerk move to those behind you which forces them to lean their seat back to get your head out of their face and so on depending on some decent person to discomfort themselves by having your head continually invade their personal space to protect the comfort of everyone behind them.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:02 AM

38,085 posts, read 14,878,695 times
Quote:
Been trampled and left for dead. not being rude, being truthful. If my mother (who lives independently and is still pretty mobile but definitely slower than she once was) needed to fly, I would gladly pay for the extra ticket for someone to fly with her if I was unable to do so myself in order to assist her.
I could not imagine putting my parents on a plane alone. Because we boarded first when we flew together, we generally boarded with those who needed extra assistance. I was stunned at some of the folks boarding with us. Many absolutely needed an attendant.

Now some rolled up in a wheelchair and were perfectly fine afterwards. We made a game of noticing who came in a wheelchair and seemed to have no mobility problems whatsoever once we reached our destination.

But others would have had huge problems in an emergency. They may have been going for medical treatments, I don't know. But if, say for example, we had problems on the runway and had to exit in a hurry, no way could they have done so. Not only would their life had been in peril, they would have impeded the progress of others.

I have flown several times when the FAs asked the exit row people if they could be counted on in an emergency. Several times they were moved when it was clear they were not up to the task due to language barriers, physical condition, etc.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I have done multiple 16 hour flights without doing so. About half the time those in front of me were decent people who did not lean their seat back either.

Leaning your seat back is a jerk move to those behind you which forces them to lean their seat back to get your head out of their face and so on depending on some decent person to discomfort themselves by having your head continually invade their personal space to protect the comfort of everyone behind them.
I don't put my seat back during meals, and when I do recline I do so slowly (although a couple weeks ago my seat was broken and when I pushed the button it flew back--blame the airline, not me on that one.) It was an evening flight, I had a terrible migraine, a 7:00 am meeting with a flight that wasn't even landing until midnight and an hour plus drive to my destination, and I NEEDED to sleep. It was either that or start puking. Take your choice.

I'm not going to keep my seat upright on a red-eye. Just not going to happen.

That said, I can't recall the last time I had an overnight flight that wasn't at minimum in PE. I take responsibility for myself--novel concept these days--and spend the $$ on seats that offer legroom, fixed armrests so I don't need to worry about the 400 pounder in the next seat, and plenty of space behind me to recline without the person behind me being upset.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:51 AM

38,085 posts, read 14,878,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Leaning your seat back is a jerk move...
I agree.

Whatever your reason--you have a migraine, a 7 am meeting, low back pain, you paid for a reclining seat and you darn well are going to use it... Whatever, it's a jerk move.

I travel with one of those u-shape neck pillows and sleep just fine without that extra 2 inches of reclining.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I agree.

Whatever your reason--you have a migraine, a 7 am meeting, low back pain, you paid for a reclining seat and you darn well are going to use it... Whatever, it's a jerk move.

I travel with one of those u-shape neck pillows and sleep just fine without that extra 2 inches of reclining.
Perhaps for you, not for me. Reclining during meal service is a jerk move. Reclining when most people are sleeping is typical and acceptable. If you don't want the person in front of you to recline, either spend the money on a first class ticket or a bulkhead seat. problem solved. Put your money where your mouth is. I do.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,270,696 times
Quote:
Now some rolled up in a wheelchair and were perfectly fine afterwards. We made a game of noticing who came in a wheelchair and seemed to have no mobility problems whatsoever once we reached our destination.
Oh some people are absolutely shameless-- a wheelchair gives you priority/pre-boarding so a lot of people use it to board the plane first. Then somewhere over Virginia they're miraculously healed! The worst offenders are the PBI-HPN crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or