U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 PM

6,166 posts, read 6,334,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Has anyone ever seen three hefty people in the same row?

I've seen two with a poor guy stuffed in the middle. But never three. Wondering how that would even work.
Funny you should ask this. A few years ago when I weighed 120 pounds more than I do now I was on a 5 hour flight where my other 2 seatmates were also around 100 pounds overwight. We had to all sit down at the same time. Since we were all guilty of causing the situation there was no sense getting upset. Turns out one of the other guys was a professional comedian. He went thru several of his routines. We drank a lot of beer and and had a lot of laughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:01 AM

38,336 posts, read 14,998,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Funny you should ask this. A few years ago when I weighed 120 pounds more than I do now I was on a 5 hour flight where my other 2 seatmates were also around 100 pounds overwight. We had to all sit down at the same time. Since we were all guilty of causing the situation there was no sense getting upset. Turns out one of the other guys was a professional comedian. He went thru several of his routines. We drank a lot of beer and and had a lot of laughs.
Oh, for fun.

Sitting down at the same time makes sense. Did you leave the arm rests up?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 AM

6,166 posts, read 6,334,585 times
Quote:
Oh, for fun.

Sitting down at the same time makes sense. Did you leave the arm rests up?
Oh yes

Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,577,971 times
Quote:
Why are the West Palm Beach to Westchester, NY the worst offenders

When my Mom and I first started flying, there were maybe one or two others in wheelchairs waiting with her.

When we took our last flight together a little over a year ago, it was not uncommon for a dozen or so wheelchairs to be lined up.

Rarely, was anyone traveling with a companion to assist them. I can't tell you how many times we saw people who were waiting with us in the wheelchair line be walking and hauling luggage around in the baggage claim area.

It was a miracle!
And sometimes not so much <bold>

First off I'm not saying that there's nobody gaming the system, Disneyland's recent dustup over priority passes proves that.
From the perspective of a disabled person it's not always obvious why the person is disabled or how they ended up in the wheelchair to the plane.
I could easily be mistaken for one of those "miracle" people who showed up in a wheel chair. Usually I decline a chair because it's an embarrassment to me BUT my wife overrules me on occasion and it's just not worth me arguing with her. It's not that I can't walk, I can "usually" unless I'm having a real bad day or have been on my feet for a long period of time or my meds have worn off.

For some it's total time on your feet that's the killer so you have to budget that time figuring in how much pain you want to endure later to do what you need to do now.

Again, not saying there isn't abuse just trying to enlighten on what you could be seeing.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
Quote:
So, do you travel with one of those neck pillows?

Do you fly first class?

Many people who travel at night do not put the seat back. Good Lord, you only get another few inches. It's not like you are stretched out in a bed or anything. And the few inches of incline the front person gets, means the person behind has a heck of a time getting out to go to the bathroom. It makes it so crowded, that it's difficult to use laptop.

Many people still do recline.

It is still a jerk move. IMO, of course.

Used to be you could smoke anywhere you darn well please and folks just put up with it. Now it's jerk move.
Yes and usually yes to your first two questions. Anyone who chooses to recline in a night flight, well, that's their choice, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with doing so. If you don't like it put your money where your mouth is, fly first class.

Last edited by annerk; 07-28-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, then they were too small to begin with... because I'm not really a big person, and have NO problem fitting into seats anywhere else (offices, theaters, stadiums, cars, etc), but still fill out almost every bit of those coach seats! Usually I'm just about touching both sides, plus my knees are slammed right up against the seat in front. I try to upgrade whenever possible, however that is not always an option. And if a woman who's 5'5" (albeit long-legged) and a bit chubby - not FAT - cannot fit comfortably, they need to reevaluate those seat sizes IMO.

Not to mention, if they aren't going to increase leg room in coach, they should make the seats non/barely-reclining. If that person in front puts their seat all the way back, even my 110lb sister ends up kissing it... and one time a man actually BROKE my laptop, when I had it on the tray table as he reclined. I tried stopping him, just so I could move the laptop, but he was playing the "I'm in my own bubble" game and ignored me completely. That was an expensive flight, and I'm not talking about the cost of my ticket.
Oh please. I'm just shy of 5'7" with long legs, and have never had my knees hit the seat in feint if me. My butt and hips fit fine as well.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Glad you concluded as well that there was nothing logical about your reasoning. BTW, your attitude stinks... ...no one would want to touch you with a barge pole!!!
Actually I have has FA's tell me that FAA regs are that they be down for takeoff and landing. I don't know if it is true but it works for me. Because you are opposed to it, that tells me a lot about your weight. Why do you have such a problem with the armrests being down? The only reason I can think of is that you are too big. I paid for my seat, if you want to share part of it, you need to pay rent. Otherwise, stay on your own side of the barrier and out of my face.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen three hefty people in the same row?

I've seen two with a poor guy stuffed in the middle. But never three. Wondering how that would even work.
Giant shoehorn?

Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM

556 posts, read 763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually I have has FA's tell me that FAA regs are that they be down for takeoff and landing. I don't know if it is true but it works for me. Because you are opposed to it, that tells me a lot about your weight. Why do you have such a problem with the armrests being down? The only reason I can think of is that you are too big. I paid for my seat, if you want to share part of it, you need to pay rent. Otherwise, stay on your own side of the barrier and out of my face.
My understanding of the rule is that aisle armrests have to be down for takeoff and landing. Armrests between seats can be raised at any time.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:09 AM

20,694 posts, read 19,558,601 times
Flew transatlantic yesterday.

Could not sleep.. Moved everywhere nothing would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or