U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:06 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We had an experience recently with a very obese woman on an international flight in the economy class section of a major carrier. I was in an aisle seat across from this woman. My daughter sat next to the woman and my three year old grand daughter had the window seat.

Once this very large lady was seated she could not get up without assistance. Since this was a long flight there were several times when my daughter and grand daughter had to get up to use the bathroom. I had to get up and help this women up so my family could go use the restrooms.

This women became really upset with me for having to get up and finally refused to get up again. My daughter had to pass my grand daughter over this women's head so I could take her again to the bathroom.
That's ridiculous. First of all, I would never assist someone in getting up or down like that--you could have seriously injured yourself. If she was unable to move herself, the flight attendants should have been the ones responsible for moving her. People like that shouldn't be allowed to fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM

7,685 posts, read 16,112,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I cant tell you how tired I am of hearing this myth. No airline, at least my (major) company changed seat sizes in over 18 years. That is simply NOT true. People are just getting larger. I have worked the same aircraft for over 17 years and never, not ONCE, have seat sizes changed.
Easy enough to find those who state otherwise:

Cramped or comfortable, new airline seats still put thesqueeze on fliers - NBC News

November 4, 2013

Quote:
And more people are likely to face that unpleasant situation. As recently reported in The Wall Street Journal, several airlines are adding an extra seat in each row of their widebody jets. They’re doing so by reducing seat width from the 18 or more inches common on long-haul and international flights to the 17 inches typically found on shorter, domestic routes.
As for attitude, we're all human, and even Mother Theresa probably hated her job sometimes. I'd rather have someone venting online about it, preferably in the guise of an entertaining story about stupidity seen that day, and releasing tension that way than letting it slip out during an actual interaction with a customer.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM

15,030 posts, read 21,753,522 times
Quote:
We had an experience recently with a very obese woman on an international flight in the economy class section of a major carrier. I was in an aisle seat across from this woman. My daughter sat next to the woman and my three year old grand daughter had the window seat.

Once this very large lady was seated she could not get up without assistance. Since this was a long flight there were several times when my daughter and grand daughter had to get up to use the bathroom. I had to get up and help this women up so my family could go use the restrooms.

This women became really upset with me for having to get up and finally refused to get up again. My daughter had to pass my grand daughter over this women's head so I could take her again to the bathroom.
Oh. My. God. I don't know how I would have reacted in that instance!

Old 07-24-2014, 03:31 PM

556 posts, read 762,258 times
Quote:

I would have discretely mention this to a flight attendant. Passengers who need assistance boarding/deplaning are not supposed to sit in aisle seats. In the event of an emergency, she would have blocked your daughter and granddaughter from exiting quickly. If you ever pay attention to seating for people who board during pre-boarding because they need assistance, they always end up in window seats, and never in exit rows. At the very least, they would have shifted her to the window seat, which may have made it more comfortable for your daughter and granddaughter.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Easy enough to find those who state otherwise:

Cramped or comfortable, new airline seats still put thesqueeze on fliers - NBC News

November 4, 2013

As for attitude, we're all human, and even Mother Theresa probably hated her job sometimes. I'd rather have someone venting online about it, preferably in the guise of an entertaining story about stupidity seen that day, and releasing tension that way than letting it slip out during an actual interaction with a customer.
Do the math--what that article is proposing is impossible. The most seats across on the widest wide body is 10--those are 18" seats btw. Average economy is 8-9. Even if they remove an inch from each of nine seats, there still isn't enough room to add a 10th.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I would have discretely mention this to a flight attendant. Passengers who need assistance boarding/deplaning are not supposed to sit in aisle seats. In the event of an emergency, she would have blocked your daughter and granddaughter from exiting quickly. If you ever pay attention to seating for people who board during pre-boarding because they need assistance, they always end up in window seats, and never in exit rows. At the very least, they would have shifted her to the window seat, which may have made it more comfortable for your daughter and granddaughter.
I wouldn't have been discrete about it. She was acting like a cow and needed to be called out.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:16 PM

7,936 posts, read 5,048,234 times
One thing that baffles me is the widespread failure to acknowledge that between the need to maneuver in tight spaces, to sit still for several hours at a stretch, to tolerate the decompression to 8000-foot cabin altitude and back, flying requires a modicum of good health and athleticism. There is a threshold of ill-health below which passengers just shouldn't be flying. This applies to persons who have severe breathing difficulties, who have severe joint-pain or other mobility impairments, or extreme obesity. I don't favor some military-style selection board which labels people fit or unfit for flying, but beyond some level a judgment must be made. We can't expect the vast majority of the flying public to be inconvenienced to accommodate a few individuals who unfortunately owing to their physiological condition just can not be efficiently and safely accommodated in commercial flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I think most people- the FAs, the overweight person- do their best to make the situation work. ...
Agreed. Most persons in the actual situation - passengers or staff - are reasonably deferential and accommodating. Ultimately the airline is to blame. The most blame goes precisely to the entity that's most distant and least accessible.

Quote:
People are not willing to pay a higher ticket price to accomodate higher fuel prices, so airlines start charging for little stuff.
I travel on business. My employer buys full-fare fully-refundable tickets in an annual batch. We are required to fly coach-class, but my employer will pay $1500 for a ticket that cost my seatmate only $200 online. That's just how the system works. That said, I fully embrace a doubling or tripling of ticket prices in exchange for wider seats and other amenities.... because, well, I'm not the one paying. That is also how the system works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sure humiliate someone to the public like that and I can see the lawsuits against the carrier piling up.
That's exactly the operative concern. There is far less danger of entanglements from accommodating a "passenger of size", even if that irritates other passengers, than from inconveniencing said "passenger of size" to placate the other passengers. And this isn't just about being physically large/corpulent. Whenever somebody presents a special case, it is easier to accommodate that special case, even at high overall cost, than to reject said case. Why? It's not compassion or altruism. It's not everyone pitching in to help the less fortunate. Rather, the more special the special case, the more expensive the lawsuit.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,549,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Southwest does have a 'customer of size' policy that people say works reasonably well the majority of time.

Customer of Size

In general, I aim for an aisle seat and that helps cut down on the getting squished chances.
Wow! Talk about customer service
My wife was blessed (cursed) with her grandfather's rather wide hips (did I mention they were WIDE?) and doesn't fit well into airline seats. She is not hugely obese and has always had larger than usual hips. Maybe part of the issue is with the airlines who constantly shrink what they offer to customers?

For the reasons given above we pretty much refuse to fly any longer as it has become to painful for my wife.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wow! Talk about customer service
My wife was blessed (cursed) with her grandfather's rather wide hips (did I mention they were WIDE?) and doesn't fit well into airline seats. She is not hugely obese and has always had larger than usual hips. Maybe part of the issue is with the airlines who constantly shrink what they offer to customers?

For the reasons given above we pretty much refuse to fly any longer as it has become to painful for my wife.
Airline seats haven't shrunk in width. If anything they are roomier than they were 20-30 years ago. You say she's not "hugely" obese, which seems to imply "she's obese but I love her anyhow." Nice sentiment, but the reality is that if she lost weight, she would fit into the seat. Sad that her unwillingness to manage her weight to a healthy size will keep you both from fully enjoying life.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,549,626 times
Quote:
I cant tell you how tired I am of hearing this myth. No airline, at least my (major) company changed seat sizes in over 18 years. That is simply NOT true. People are just getting larger. I have worked the same aircraft for over 17 years and never, not ONCE, have seat sizes changed.

Also, you realize, don't you, that airlines are not non-profits. People are not willing to pay a higher ticket price to accomodate higher fuel prices, so airlines start charging for little stuff. No, I dont like it either...mostly because people complain to me about it and I have ZERO control over what they charge. And yes, seats are filled to the max, that is how profits are made. Sorry you dont like full planes. Airline stock holders do...more seats filled, more profit. The good old days of roomy flying are over.

As for larger passengers, I sympathize with those who have to sit with someone who spills into their space. If I see that and I do have a free seat somewhere else, i will offer it to the person being squeezed. However, if there are no seats, I dont know what people expect flight crew to do. There are seldom extra seats available.
First off I'd like to say that "most" flight attendants are the unsung hero's of the skies. After talking with many over the years the treatment and pay they receive for their efforts from the companies they work for borders on slave labor in my opinion and probably tends to make some bitter and less than civil.

Then add in an increasingly rude/nasty/selfish public and I'd guess being a flight attendant ain't what it used to be in the old days (Pan Am era).

I grew up around the airlines where my dad worked for 30 years, (25 of them for United) and flying today is not even CLOSE to what it used to be. I remember white linen on the tray tables,REAL silverware,REAL glass in coach,crystal in 1st class and REAL food.

My last business flight on a major carrier out of Atlanta was grab a nasty bag lunch (greenish ham,dried out cheese on a stale roll) while going down the jetway to a cramped plane with no overhead stowage due to people bringing huge carry-ons.
I remember people having to dress appropriately for a flight which meant suits for the men and dresses for the women. Now? It's whatever they happen to toss on. Pajamas,shorts and t-shirts with flip flops,girls wearing beach wear that should only be worn on spring break etc. I'm waiting to see a guy in a speedo next.
One recent flight I was stuck next to someone who was wearing some kind of religious robe outfit and had obviously not showered or used deodorant for quite some time. Phew! Took a while to get that smell out of my sinus cavity.

Flying isn't what it once was, that's for certain... Given the news about Southwest posted above it seems at least one airline is trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or