U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'd rather sit beside a large person who slightly spills over onto my seat, than a yapper who won't shut up the whole flight.

I like to read and doze, and even with a book in my hands and my glasses on, or my head back and eyes closed, some people won't take a hint.

Another ignorant and irritating seatmate is a woman or man who wears perfume or cologne on a flight. Bring it with you and put it on AFTER the flight. Oh, and don't forget to wash and apply deodorant, and don't eat spicy, stinky food before your flight. A lot of people like myself, are extremely sensitive to ickky smells.
Another food that stinks is McDonalds or anything fried, although perfume is the worst and should be outlawed.

I solve the yapper problem by putting in my earbuds and ignoring them.

Frankly I don't want to deal with either scenario. The yapper is the easiest to remedy though. If they think I'm rude for ignoring them, too bad. They need to look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
In this specific case, the member of the party in the aisle seat could get up and find a flight attendant, probably near the galley. Then say politely and in a normal tone of voice "the passenger in seat 4D is having trouble entering and exiting her seat, which is impeding my daughter's ability to use the restroom. I'm also concerned that her limited mobility will impede egress in the event of an emergency."
Not flying with me. (Pun intended.) The call button is there for a reason. The cow will be embarrassed--by her own behavior. If she acted like a decent human, it wouldn't be necessary.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,936,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
It sounds like both you and this woman had aisle seats. Why didn't you just switch seats with her. It would have been an even trade for her, and you'd have been able to sit with your daughter and granddaughter.
I agree...on a flight to denver a few years ago I had an aisle seat, this army guy had the aisle seat across from me and his buddy had the middle seat next to me, after a few minutes of them talking over my head I suggested why don't we switch aisle seats that way you can converse with your friend in a more comfortable manner....worked

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,853,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
17" is the same width plane seats were 20-30 years ago. SO no, they aren't reducing the size, people are just getting fatter. Take the cheeseburger out of your mouth and go for a walk. It will do you good.
And you still haven't provided a source to back up your claims.

And don't think for a moment that you know anything about me. Stop being a rude smartass.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
So how could it be handled discretely? You push the call button and tell the FA, "This woman won't move so my daughter can use the rest room." Are you suggesting mental telepathy should be used? Getting up and down is painful? Well, so is needing to use the rest room. The cow was an ass. If she wasn't going to be able to get up and down, she should have booked a window seat.
Are you really this dense? I've already told you how it's handled discretely. You press the call button, and you quietly say to the FA "this passenger needs assistance to get up so my granddaughter can go to the bathroom." Let the FA handle it from there.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
In this specific case, the member of the party in the aisle seat could get up and find a flight attendant, probably near the galley. Then say politely and in a normal tone of voice "the passenger in seat 4D is having trouble entering and exiting her seat, which is impeding my daughter's ability to use the restroom. I'm also concerned that her limited mobility will impede egress in the event of an emergency."
Another great way to handle it discretely! Thank you!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Not flying with me. (Pun intended.) The call button is there for a reason. The cow will be embarrassed--by her own behavior. If she acted like a decent human, it wouldn't be necessary.
You don't seem to act like a decent human ... why do you expect anyone else to?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I know this has been brought up before, however after my flight I am in serious need of venting. Why do airlines put a size limit on people? I had to sit next to a gentleman so large he was partially in my seat.

I don't know what the 'fair' solution would be, but it is very unfair when someone doesn't get a full seat. I was scrunched to the window, no room to put my backpack underneath the seat. We were delayed for an hour on the runway. My back is in such nots from scrunching up. Rant over

I always shoot for the aisle seat. I may not get it, but I will do everything I can to do so.

The problem isn't the size of the person in the seat. It is that there is a seat next to you, and if the person in front of you decides to be a jerk and lean their seat back you are trapped.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The problem isn't the size of the person in the seat. It is that there is a seat next to you, and if the person in front of you decides to be a jerk and lean their seat back you are trapped.
Oh boy, this should open a pandora's box of whether or not people have the right to lean their seat back!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I do realize that but also realize as more carriers merge, the competition shrinks and the customer will be the one to pay the price.
I hope that's not the attitude you portray to someone flying on your carrier. Listening to moaning and complaining comes with the territory of customer service and sorry but you are front line in your face customer service just like the kid at Mickey D's who gets screamed at because an order took to long.
Is it right? No, don't think it is but it is what it is.

can't take the heat get out of the kitchen

And an FYI I have no problem complaining to carrier when I've had a lousy flight with cranky flight service people ( and boy some of them just should of stayed home in bed instead of getting up on the wrong side of bed) I will also take the time to email when I've had a great flight with cheerful crew.

I've read many articles where maybe not the girth of the seat has changed on newer planes but the legroom has shrunk.
Would love to the US deregulate so some foreign airlines could come in and offer real competition to the flying buses we have. It would be everywhere, but Emirates or someone similar would love to operate on the routes between major cities. Once that happened the US airlines would have to start offering real service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or