U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,206,828 times
Reputation: 3294

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We had an experience recently with a very obese woman on an international flight in the economy class section of a major carrier. I was in an aisle seat across from this woman. My daughter sat next to the woman and my three year old grand daughter had the window seat.

Once this very large lady was seated she could not get up without assistance. Since this was a long flight there were several times when my daughter and grand daughter had to get up to use the bathroom. I had to get up and help this women up so my family could go use the restrooms.

This women became really upset with me for having to get up and finally refused to get up again. My daughter had to pass my grand daughter over this women's head so I could take her again to the bathroom.
Another reason to always want the aisle seat. I don't want anyone holding me prisoner especially on these international flights when they do everything they can to make you sleep. I don't want to wake people up, but I will if I have to use the facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 AM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,206,828 times
Reputation: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Oh boy, this should open a pandora's box of whether or not people have the right to lean their seat back!
I would disable those buttons if I owned the airline. It forces a chain reaction of everyone behind that person leaning their seat back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 07:53 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,845,077 times
Reputation: 16494
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I would disable those buttons if I owned the airline. It forces a chain reaction of everyone behind that person leaning their seat back.
I would too! But mostly because I've nearly lost countless laptop screens because the person in front of me slammed their seat back. I would prefer that people didn't recline, but if they do I at least hope they will do it slowly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 AM
 
Location: England
24,869 posts, read 6,192,205 times
Reputation: 30438
My wife and I fly long haul to Las Vegas from England each year. A couple of trips ago, we saw an example of what we're talking about here. The wide bodied planes we fly on have ten seats per row. Three, left and right, and four in the centre. We were sat a couple of rows behind the extra legroom seats next to the exit doors.

About an hour after we took off, leaving Las Vegas, a guy sat elsewhere, had a broken seat, and they had to move him. The only spare seat was in a row of three in the extra legroom exit seats. The two people sat there were fat. The girl of the couple real fat. The attendant brought the victim, I mean broken seat passenger, up to the only spare seat on the plane. We had a ringside view from our seats.

His face was a picture as he saw where he was supposed to sit for the next 8 hours or so. He gingerly sat himself down as well as he could. The two fat passengers also weren't pleased. The new boy just couldn't stand it, and complained. There was nothing anyone could do. In the end, the very fat girl passenger sat on the floor in front of her seat, solving the problem. She remained there for the rest of the flight, with the flight attendants just ignoring this obviously illegal situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,698 posts, read 8,513,754 times
Reputation: 29413
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wouldn't have been discrete about it. She was acting like a cow and needed to be called out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
So loudly humiliate her? Wow.

Nice compassion.
Sorry. No compassion here either. When someone else's obesity is affecting me on an airplane, and I pay just as much for what is an already unpleasant experience, I'm not happy about being squeezed out of my seat I pay a lot for. I am a small person but have to work hard to avoid weight gain. So I exercise regularly and watch what I eat. Obese people can do that as well. Most of them choose not to. There needs to be a rule that they pay for two seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 AM
 
912 posts, read 859,578 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
My wife and I fly long haul to Las Vegas from England each year. A couple of trips ago, we saw an example of what we're talking about here. The wide bodied planes we fly on have ten seats per row. Three, left and right, and four in the centre. We were sat a couple of rows behind the extra legroom seats next to the exit doors.

About an hour after we took off, leaving Las Vegas, a guy sat elsewhere, had a broken seat, and they had to move him. The only spare seat was in a row of three in the extra legroom exit seats. The two people sat there were fat. The girl of the couple real fat. The attendant brought the victim, I mean broken seat passenger, up to the only spare seat on the plane. We had a ringside view from our seats.

His face was a picture as he saw where he was supposed to sit for the next 8 hours or so. He gingerly sat himself down as well as he could. The two fat passengers also weren't pleased. The new boy just couldn't stand it, and complained. There was nothing anyone could do. In the end, the very fat girl passenger sat on the floor in front of her seat, solving the problem. She remained there for the rest of the flight, with the flight attendants just ignoring this obviously illegal situation.
Holy crap!!!

This is why we don't fly much anymore. I have just had it with airlines, rude passengers and the rest. If i can get there another way, I take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,573,494 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Holy crap!!!

This is why we don't fly much anymore. I have just had it with airlines, rude passengers and the rest. If i can get there another way, I take it.
Exactly so! It is clear that civility is gone once one exits the jetway onto the aircraft! I refuse to pay big money to be packed in like a sardine,treated more like a burden than a customer and then be treated to the usual self absorbed "it's all about me" how dare you recline (no matter how slow),I want everyone to smell my cheap perfume,I want both armrests and my kid can scream/kick your seat if he/she wants to,I love sardine sandwiches fellow cattle (passengers).

Sadly I do have to say that if I or my family member were spoken to or treated like some on here profess that they would (you know who you are) they just might "slip and fall" when we all arrive at baggage pickup. Oopsie...

Most things I let roll off my back as not worth my time or effort but outright nasty,rude,tactless and insulting behavior just for the sake of showing how big you are on the plane is not one of 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 AM
 
13,178 posts, read 20,826,707 times
Reputation: 35508
I have also read that seats aren't narrower than in the past, however, this article says otherwise:
Passengers Feel the Pinch as Airlines Seats Shrink

What is indisputable however, is that there in less clearance between rows. It isn't just a weight issue, I'm not overweight, but I am tall. Flying, unless I can get a aisle seat, is miserable. I've knocked knees with more fellow travelers than I've had my seat encroached upon. And, honestly, it really doesn't bother me to be seated next to a larger person, certainly not to the point of calling them cows, pigs, etc, as I've reads here. Give me a heavy, happy seatmate over a grumbling elitist anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM
 
1,339 posts, read 2,973,263 times
Reputation: 2220
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There should be no reason to not have it down if you can fit into your seat. Armrest up is never going to win, as there is no logical reason for it.
Since you mention logical reasoning, I disagree with you. If any feature has two states, it is built with the understanding that either state is a valid use case for that user for that situation. If an arm rest was never meant to be raised up, it would not have that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,107 posts, read 24,916,565 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have also read that seats aren't narrower than in the past, however, this article says otherwise:
Passengers Feel the Pinch as Airlines Seats Shrink

What is indisputable however, is that there in less clearance between rows. It isn't just a weight issue, I'm not overweight, but I am tall. Flying, unless I can get a aisle seat, is miserable. I've knocked knees with more fellow travelers than I've had my seat encroached upon. And, honestly, it really doesn't bother me to be seated next to a larger person, certainly not to the point of calling them cows, pigs, etc, as I've reads here. Give me a heavy, happy seatmate over a grumbling elitist anytime.
I so agree and the posters using words like cow, pig etc are either suffering from keyboard muscles and wouldn't dare do in public what they claim they would or they are just nasty people I hope I never have the misfortune of having to sit next to on a flight.

There are many reasons a person could be obese, eating too many cheeseburgers isn't the only one.
I don't know what the answer as far as seating is, but rude obnoxious behavior doesn't solve anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top