U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
Actually, the original plan was to leave at midnight. That's changed. Now we're leaving 8:00 P.M. Friday night. So we'll easily be through Richmond before sun up. I always hover around 65, maybe 70 on the highway, nothing more than that, and especially not in unfamiliar territory. I'll let her know to call State Farm and at least make them aware that she'll be in Florida for six months if she hasn't already.

Thanks for everything else!
Stupid idea. You'll fall asleep at the wheel long before you make it to Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 04:22 PM

1,120 posts, read 590,490 times
I don't understand why she insists on having 2 cars drive down there? Why not just drive 1 down and you fly back home? Or are both cars staying in Florida?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM

19,871 posts, read 18,888,113 times
I have driven from CT to FL many times and I found my driving limit was about 4-5 hours. I always had someone with me so we could switch. It just doesn't make sense for two people to drive that long a distance in two separate cars. She can fly or you can drive with her in one car.

You really do need a backup person in case one person gets sick or is tired. We usually made it to somewhere around NC and then stayed somewhere for the night. It takes forever to get to Florida and once you are in Florida it seems to take forever to get wherever you are going. That's not counting getting LOST on the way. When you arrive you sleep for about 12 hours.

How are you going to communicate if you are in two separate cars? One needs to stop at the rest stop. You get separated. You're not going to be driving right behind her for 14 hours, you may be miles and miles behind or you may end up way in front of her. This is a recipe for big time STRESS.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 PM

368 posts, read 308,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I don't understand why she insists on having 2 cars drive down there? Why not just drive 1 down and you fly back home? Or are both cars staying in Florida?
She's the only one having the car down there. I would follow her down and then drive home myself. I realize it's a dumb idea and a lot can go wrong but she insists on having her car in Florida with her.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Stupid idea. You'll fall asleep at the wheel long before you make it to Richmond.
That's what I hate about the idea the most. It's not even the driving itself, it's having literally one day to adjust to being awake all night versus all day. I'll have to stay up as long as possible Thursday night and then time it so I can get 8 or more hours of sleep Friday morning to be ready to leave that night. But again, I can't just simply back out. I feel helpless here.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 PM

490 posts, read 896,860 times
Put your foot down! Tell her you're both going in HER care and you will fly home. Man up guy! So many here have warned you about two cars. Taking two cars when it is not necessary is insane.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 PM

6,272 posts, read 18,914,349 times
Make your sister read this thread. While highway travel is generally safe, what if its not? Is there reason to believe her car won't make it to FL?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Make your sister read this thread. While highway travel is generally safe, what if its not? Is there reason to believe her car won't make it to FL?
She has an 04 Kia Optima. The car is in great shape overall, she got a new fuel pump and catalytic converter a couple months ago and, recently, went for a tune up. I have a 2009 Cobalt. My car was one of the models that GM had to recall because of a faulty ignition switch. Thankfully, that problem has long since been dealt with and the car been a peach since.

I'm definitely going to have her read this thread. This is what I love about C-D, posters give it to you straight. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 PM

1,120 posts, read 590,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
She's the only one having the car down there. I would follow her down and then drive home myself. I realize it's a dumb idea and a lot can go wrong but she insists on having her car in Florida with her.
I'm still very confused. Why don't your just drive with her in her car and then fly home? What is the point in taking 2 cars?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I'm still very confused. Why don't your drive with her in her car and fly home? What is the point in taking 2 cars?
She will be working at Disney for 6 months and she wants to have her car during that time. I think I'm just going to drive her myself in her car and get a flight back. It's much more sensible and not one person (rightfully) thinks very highly of the current plan. I would love to make a road trip out of the southeast and soon but not under these circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or