U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 PM

720 posts, read 1,492,154 times

Advertisements

Stick to your guns. After all, when she returns home after 6 monthes will she expect you to drive down, and then follow her back in your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,818,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I don't understand why she insists on having 2 cars drive down there? Why not just drive 1 down and you fly back home? Or are both cars staying in Florida?
Because she is obviously not very smart and the OP is enabling the stupidity. This generation is all about the entitlement mentality and themselves.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
She's the only one having the car down there. I would follow her down and then drive home myself. I realize it's a dumb idea and a lot can go wrong but she insists on having her car in Florida with her.
1. She's an adult.
2. She's moving by her choice to Florida.
3. She needs to grow up.
4. There is no reason she can't make the trip alone, without you in the car or following her.
5. If she feels she can't do #4, she shouldn't be moving 1200 miles from home. What is she going to do, call you if she gets a hang nail?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
That's what I hate about the idea the most. It's not even the driving itself, it's having literally one day to adjust to being awake all night versus all day. I'll have to stay up as long as possible Thursday night and then time it so I can get 8 or more hours of sleep Friday morning to be ready to leave that night. But again, I can't just simply back out. I feel helpless here.
It doesn't work like that, you know it, you are being as stubborn as your sister. Man up, tell her you'll make the drive together in one car or she is on her own. I'm not sure which of the two of you is worse. Please tell me when you'll be doing this drive so I can stay home. An overtired driver is as dangerous as a drunk.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM

19,995 posts, read 20,091,325 times
Never understood how having someone following you keeps you safe.
Sure, it gives you somebody right there in case of a breakdown but if another car is ready to whack her, what are you going to do? Speed up and get in front of her? If she gets tired and starts wandering out of her lane....give her a bumper-bump to wake her up?
I have to agree with others here and suggest you simply refuse to go along with this totally senseless idea.
Agreeing to do so most definitely makes you sound dumber than her since you know it's a bad idea and will do it anyway.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 AM

346 posts, read 338,954 times
The hours between 2 and 5AM are killers when driving at night, please do not be silly and try to do it alone.
One car, take turns driving and be prepared to find a good place to stop for a quick power nap in those early hours.
My wife and I have tried driving through the night once, I am a night owl and thought I would be fine until 3AM, she is an early morning person and thought she would be in good shape to take over from 3AM.....we HAD to pull over and nap, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM

444 posts, read 505,299 times
Here in North Carolina, it's known that I-95 produces a lot of accidents from out-of-staters because that area is located halfway between the New York City metro area and Orlando. As one website notes, "The News and Observer called I-95 'North Carolina’s deadliest interstate,' stating that 'crashes in which people die happen on I-95 at twice the rate of any other interstate in North Carolina.' NCDOT accident data supports this statement." See the link below for more.

What everyone else is saying here is true. Your plan to drive 14 hours nonstop down to Orlando is risky at best and a formula for disaster if you are not careful, no matter what time of day you leave. I'd seriously recommend you rethink your strategy.

Driving95 | I-95 Corridor Planning & Financing Study | FAQs

Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM

490 posts, read 905,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because she is obviously not very smart and the OP is enabling the stupidity. This generation is all about the entitlement mentality and themselves.
I don't think the OP knows how to "man up". He's been given good advice from countless people here but it's clear his sister makes the decisions.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM

368 posts, read 310,274 times
We're taking one car now. It's been settled. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM

5,955 posts, read 6,791,150 times
Do yourself a huge favor and stay off of I-95 until you are well south...like at least Richmond.

Get over to I-81, take it South to I-77 or I-26. Take these roads South/East until you run into I-95.

You might drive a few extra miles, but you will save your self a HUGE amount of time...and aggravation. Any of those northern cities....NY, Baltimore....especially DC...can kill you for hours if there is a 'problem'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or