U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM

6,272 posts, read 18,956,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and stay off of I-95 until you are well south...like at least Richmond.

Get over to I-81, take it South to I-77 or I-26. Take these roads South/East until you run into I-95.

You might drive a few extra miles, but you will save your self a HUGE amount of time...and aggravation. Any of those northern cities....NY, Baltimore....especially DC...can kill you for hours if there is a 'problem'.
I-77 going through Charlotte is probably not a good idea, either. Take I-81 to I-26. Traffic should be quite a bit lighter going through Asheville, NC than Charlotte, NC. Most SC towns are small with the exception of Columbia and Charleston. + you'll go right by my house! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:26 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,719,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Here in North Carolina, it's known that I-95 produces a lot of accidents from out-of-staters because that area is located halfway between the New York City metro area and Orlando. As one website notes, "The News and Observer called I-95 'North Carolina’s deadliest interstate,' stating that 'crashes in which people die happen on I-95 at twice the rate of any other interstate in North Carolina.' NCDOT accident data supports this statement." See the link below for more.

What everyone else is saying here is true. Your plan to drive 14 hours nonstop down to Orlando is risky at best and a formula for disaster if you are not careful, no matter what time of day you leave. I'd seriously recommend you rethink your strategy.

Driving95 | I-95 Corridor Planning & Financing Study | FAQs
My husband has stopped at three bad wrecks in NC where he was the first first responder on the scene. Three wrecks, eight passengers, two fatalities (and two more who probaby didn't make it), two moderate to serious injuries, and one kid in a car seat who was bruised and battered but would be fine--although an orphan. Yup, help keep NC #1 this summer, drive through the night from the Northeast.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,719,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and stay off of I-95 until you are well south...like at least Richmond.

Get over to I-81, take it South to I-77 or I-26. Take these roads South/East until you run into I-95.

You might drive a few extra miles, but you will save your self a HUGE amount of time...and aggravation. Any of those northern cities....NY, Baltimore....especially DC...can kill you for hours if there is a 'problem'.
BAD ADVICE. She starts work on a Monday.

Leave Saturday around 4:00 am. There will be no traffic through DC. There WILL be traffic on I-81 with tons of people pulling boats, motorcycle trailers, you name it. On the weekend it's not even a question, from CT (depending on where, but most of the state these directions are what you want) take 84 to 684, cross the TZ and head south. I prefer the slightly longer but also faster 287 over the toll road and slower GSP, but either one will connect with the NJ Turnpike. Take that to the end and go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Stay on 95 south, take 895 through the Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore and pick up 295 which is the Baltimore-Washington Pkwy. Take that all the way through DC until it meets back up with 95. Stay on 95 until North of Richmond where you will take the by-pass. Pick up 95 at the end of the by-pass and stay on it until you get to Daytona where you will pick up I-4 west. From there your directions will vary depend on where her housing is.

I would plan on getting a room someplace around Florence, SC or Richmond Hill, GA. Finish the drive Sunday and you'll be at her new place with time to get her settled and pick up groceries. Have her take you to one of the Disney resorts and take a Mears shuttle to the airport. Fly home on a late evening flight, and you'll get home around midnight. Keep in mind that you'll need up to two hours to clear security and get to your gate at MCO.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 AM

1,128 posts, read 599,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
We're taking one car now. It's been settled. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Have a safe trip and enjoy yourselves!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 AM

19,885 posts, read 20,001,383 times
Can you feel all the pats on the back you are getting?
Have a good trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or