Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:24 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times

Advertisements

Three days in transit by air. Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia -> Beijing, China -> Irkutsk, Russia -> Moscow, Russia (overnight) -> Houston, TX -> Minneapolis, MN (home). I had booked round-trip tickets from home to Moscow, and then I took the Trans-Siberian railway down to UB. (That was my other longest journey...4 days straight in a train across Siberia and Mongolia, stopping only for a few minutes here and there.) I guess I waited too long to book my flight from UB back to Moscow, and availability wound up being tight because it was getting close to the holidays. UB to Beijing to Irkutskto Moscow is by far the craziest flight schedule I have ever experienced. It's a good thing I loved airports and flying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
Air:
- Door to door: ~40 hours (US to Asia, including layovers to change planes)
- Time in air: 23 hours (London to New Zealand)
- Single flight: 13 hours (London to Singapore)

Car:
- Single drive: ~15 hours (Chicago to Denver, including stops)
- Road-trip: 2 weeks (Minneapolis > Chicago > South Carolina > Florida > New Orleans > Memphis > Iowa)

Old 07-29-2014, 04:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

I've traveled round the sun 45 times. Each trip has taken a year to complete.
I call it life and it's a long road; been around 56 times myself.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Sudbury, ON to Vancouver, BC by Greyhound bus at 2 days and 19 hours if I recall correctly.

Also Toronto to Delhi, India at just under 19 hours of flying/layovers.

In about three weeks I'm set to take another Greyhound from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl to Sudbury, which is about 2 continuous days.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
But I bet your version didn't including the exciting fight between prostitute and john in the parking lot of the only hotel in Atlanta that has available rooms during a ground stop event.
One of the reasons I prefer to plan my connections in cities where I have friends/family I could stay with in an emergency.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I have had several long trips. These include going from Tel Aviv, Israel to Melbourne, Australia via London, UK (overnight paid by airline), Bangkok, Thailand, Sydney, Australia before arriving at my destination. Another long flight was Melbourne, Australia to Los Angeles (USA) via Fiji and Tahiti. A third trip was going from NYC to Gabarone, Botswana via Dakar, Senegal and Johannesburg, South Africa and same on the return. 2 trips from NYC to Jinan, China via Chicago and Beijing and on the 2nd trip getting stuck in Beijing overnight due to air pollution which canceled the flight and next day having to go from the airport to the high speed train on the other side of the city in order to go to Jinan and then needing to find a way to get from the Jinan train station (without speaking Chinese) to my final destination. My return on one of those trips to the USA was via Chicago and the other one via Washington, D.C.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I call it life and it's a long road; been around 56 times myself.
62 times around myself. Hoping for at least 30 more.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
One of the reasons I prefer to plan my connections in cities where I have friends/family I could stay with in an emergency.

Alas, Podunk Field only has connections through Atlanta, DFW, Charlotte, and Houston. Charlotte gets you wonky connections, and my friends & family are generally too sensible to live in Georgia or Texas.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
In 1993, I did "one lap of America" on a Greyhound pass; From my NE Penna base to Washington, Lake City, FL, New Orleans, Houston, Brownsville, back to Houston, El Paso, Phoenix, L. A, Sacramento, Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, and back home -- about 8000 miles in 20 days. The "inside gateway" between Sacramento and Seattle (on a Thanksgiving Day, with only two veteran drivers for companionship much of the way) was the most interesting part of the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel