Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:47 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times

Advertisements

Kauai is my recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
My husband and I spend 2 wonderful weeks in Maui...and LOVED IT!
Hawaii was way to touristy and built up for us.....Kauai a bit to laid back and "lazy".
I am glad we had decided to go with Maui, because it was the perfect balance, and what we were looking for.
We went hiking, snorkeling, took the road to "haina", went horseback riding, helicopter ride over the mountains, waterfalls, visited to the Black Sand Beach, Lahaina, Waileha Shops, The Grand Weilea Hotel and Resort, Whalers Village in Kaanapali, went to the "7 Pools"......and did so much more.....

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency directly in Lahaina (Which I can highly recommend!!!)
Service/ rooms/ hotel were impeccable!

For a night out for dinner, this is the place to go (has one of the best seafood and steaks we have ever eaten!):
Mama's Fish House
Kuau Cove
Maui
(808) 579- 8488
www.Mamasfishhouse.com
I agree with everything you state. We spend two weeks in Maui every year - look into renting a condo in Ekahi in Wailea area. Fantastic area.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I agree with everything you state. We spend two weeks in Maui every year - look into renting a condo in Ekahi in Wailea area. Fantastic area.
I was talking to several people, while we were there. It seems like, some people "lost" their heart in Maui.....LOL....and come there EVERY year.
They either went with a time share thing, or did it like you....renting a condo.
Seems to be well worth it in the long run, and much more cost efficient.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM

690 posts, read 2,630,092 times
I prefer Kauai, personally, but really - you're in one of the most gorgeous places on earth, and no matter which island you choose, you'll have an awesome time and want to go back, so you can't make a mistake and pick the "wrong" one.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
Kauai has beautiful beaches and is very lush and less touristy than the other islands. You will love it!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,450 times
Maui is awesome, I was there with my parents and brother when I was 13. My parents have also been to the Big Island, and much preferred Maui. The anoles crawling on Burger King were rather amusing.

One bit of advice is to not limit yourself to one island. Take the island jumpers (small prop commercial airplanes) and you'll get a cool view too. You might want to avoid some of the more rural areas with the sugar cane fields in November or so, since the good stuff has already been harvested and remnents are left to rott and smell really bad.

Haleakala is also pretty cool. You can drive right up to the top. It's not the stereotypical volcano with a big hole to look into though. The Hawaiian state bird, called the Nene Goose is typically at the top wandering around. They are highly endangered though (only 800 left in the world), it's not a good idea to chase them...

But you'd be hard pressed to have a bad time no matter where you are.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:42 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
If you're staying in a hotel/resort, inquire as to the last time the guestrooms were renovated/updated so you don't think you're getting a great deal on accomodations only to find you're room is stuck in the 70's. Also, make sure they aren't currently undergoing renovations. That would ruin your stay.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
i have just two days to spend on ohau. other than the beaches and pearl harbor, anything else you recommend me to see (hiking...?)

Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
What are you hoping to get out of your Hawaii visit?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
HAppy Holidays - we are planning a vacation in the spring to Hawaii and am trying to figure out which island we should go to - it appears that Maui with Lahania is more to our liking...
We are looking for quiet beaches, small villages, non-tourist
Those of you who have been to Hawaii - what did you like? where did you stay? where would you recommend?
thanks for the help...
If you look hard enough you can find what you are indicating on any of the islands but it may come with a hefty price tag to get the seclusion on the more popular (Oahu, Maui, Hawaii, Kauai) islands. You might check into Molokai or Lanai if you are really looking for peace, quiet and authenticity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel