Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,397,541 times

Advertisements

That's why in large cities the best way to get around is usually on foot, by subway oy by bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 06:58 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,736,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
That's why in large cities the best way to get around is usually on foot, by subway oy by bus.
Exactly. You don't need cabs. They have a great public transit system and you can walk. You won't need to spend $500/day on a hotel.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,659,097 times
I'd highly recommend you look into all inclusive vacations. We book through Apple Vacations or Fun Jet Vacations. The flights, ground transportation from the airport to the resort, all meals, all drinks including alcoholic drinks, and non-motorized water sports are included. We prefer Punta Cana, but the Riviera Maya was nice as well. For us it's cheaper to take an all inclusive than it is to go to Disney. It's worth considering if you've never done it.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,766,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Bahamas? Bermuda?
Bahamas is not reliably warm in January and it's not that great except for Paradise Island.
And Bermuda is plain out cold that time of year as its in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean at l 32 deg N.
Best bang for a buck is a 7 day cruise out of FL to the Carribean the first week after Jan1.
Except for Hawaii and SoFla most of the US has cold to cooler temps.

But if warm weather is not an issue, how about N'awlins LA?
It's not terribly far from ND and has a very wonderful mixed-cultural vibe, great food and lots of party people.

Come to think of it I'm going there Dec 26 - Jan 2 !
But you'll get better rates after Xmas I'm sure.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,259,868 times
You can do hotel and transpo in San Francisco for less than $400/day. Don't stay right at the airport or downtown. Find hotel somewhere in between located near a BART station. Limit taxi trips to only those locations that aren't within walking distance of BART.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,973,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
I heard it's best, because it's so cluttered there and parking is very expensive
Why would you think you'd need a car in San Francisco? BART and MUNI will get you everywhere you need to go. Again though, I caution is will be very expensive (SF is more expensive than NYC) and it will be quite cold that time of year. I've seen it snow the second week of January--1991.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,973,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
She wasn't all for it I guess, yet she said she wants to visit most of the states we haven't seen first, which I can't argue.

I'm really looking into Anaheim, CA. I'm a huge Anaheim Ducks fan and we would definitely go to a couple games
Just be aware that it will be cool in Anaheim that time of the year. Not cold, but definitely cool. There isn't much to do in Anaheim except Disney. Figure $1200 in airfare, $300 for a rental car, $125/night for a hotel. $50 a day for food (and that's eating crap, not decent) and you've got enough left for one day at Disney and gas money. I don't think Anaheim is the best option.

To be honest if she doesn't want to cruise, the next best bet might be an all inclusive in the Caribbean.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 AM

3,606 posts, read 7,900,169 times
I'm surprised you can't get reasonable hotels for less than $400. Maybe you are not looking in the right place.

SF is walkable, maybe one or two bus rides. No need for taxis. And it is usually pleasant to be outside walking in January.

Other possibilities include the southwest (Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque + Santa Fe). A car will be necessary however.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 AM

13,389 posts, read 28,685,595 times
He said his budget is $3K..he will be hard pressed to find any all inclusive in the Caribbean in January on that budget....may squeak in one of the lower rated properties in the DR but that's about it.

Cruises from Fl are an option but then again flying from Fargo ND to FL in Jan is going to be expensive, not as expensive as holidays but that is the snowbird season.

I second another poster..New Orleans..can be a tad chilly at night in Jan but lots to do, you DO NOT need a car.
Second choice if me would be San Diego CA

Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,259,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
He said his budget is $3K..he will be hard pressed to find any all inclusive in the Caribbean in January on that budget....may squeak in one of the lower rated properties in the DR but that's about it.
Out of curiosity, I did a quick Expedia search for 7 days in January in Punta Cana, and found 42 resorts that came in at or under $1500 pp (flight from Fargo, hotel, taxes and fees)

(Now if you'll excuse me, I think I have a vacation to plan )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel