U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,113,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
I heard it's best, because it's so cluttered there and parking is very expensive
SF has an excellent transportation system with buses, cablecars and streetcars but are you sure you want to go there in January? Could be cold and rainy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 PM

90 posts, read 231,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Costa Rica, great climate year around.its rainy season is the least favorable but it lines up with the hurricane season which is May to nov. It's a great place to visit and not that far, it's also very safe.
Great, something to strongly consider. Any tips on Costa Rica? What to look for/where to go/resorts?
Thanks!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 PM

6,309 posts, read 3,574,248 times
I've had some good and inexpensive vacations through Cheap Carribean. Here are this week's deals:

Vacation Packages, Cheap Vacation Package Deals | CheapCaribbean.com

We were in Costa Rica this February and found them to be every bit as reasonable as the states. If you stay on the west coast of Guanacaste Province you'll have jungle, Pacific ocean and a brief jaunt to the volcanoes. We got a good deal at Beach Bungalows Bed and Breakfast in Tamarindo. It was lovely and our hosts were most gracious and helpful.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 PM

418 posts, read 521,416 times
LA would probably be fine and "cold" would feel warm. Although it will be an El Nino winter, and they can get major storms in those years. I went to Santa Barbara in late January this year and it was gorgeous. In the 80s a few days. I flew into LA. Hotel was about $150 a night.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 AM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
I knew someone who went to Belize every year. It's a tropical country, but English is their language, which was one of the reasons she really loved it. I have never been.

But, I did a quick Google search for all-inclusive vacations in Belize and found this:

Belize Vacations Packages | Belize Private Island Resort| Coco Plum Cay

I found another site that said it's cheaper if you go after January 15th.

She always said it's like Hawaii, with lots to do and gorgeous forests, etc., with natural orchids on and on, but cheaper than Hawaii. I've always wanted to go there. I now only want to go to countries where they speak English. I'm not good at languages, and though I always tried, I have discovered there are lots of wonderful places to go where I don't need to learn how to speak another language.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
SF has an excellent transportation system with buses, cablecars and streetcars but are you sure you want to go there in January? Could be cold and rainy.
Compared to Fargo, it will be downright tropical.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
70 degrees in the day.
It's never been that warm when I've been there the first two weeks of January. It's always been closer to 60, and cold at night--in the lower 40's.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,485,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've had some good and inexpensive vacations through Cheap Carribean. Here are this week's deals:

Vacation Packages, Cheap Vacation Package Deals | CheapCaribbean.com

We were in Costa Rica this February and found them to be every bit as reasonable as the states. If you stay on the west coast of Guanacaste Province you'll have jungle, Pacific ocean and a brief jaunt to the volcanoes. We got a good deal at Beach Bungalows Bed and Breakfast in Tamarindo. It was lovely and our hosts were most gracious and helpful.
I was gonna say almost the same thing... Cheap Caribbean is awesome.

And Costa Rica is beautiful... I stayed in Guanacaste as well... beautiful place, and it cost us about 3000 for a week at the RIU Resort (that was just the flights and hotel)...

Would it be possible to travel in December, in particular the first two weeks?

If so, that is one of the absolute cheapest times of the year to go anywhere, especially the Caribbean or Central America.. My birthday is December 9th, and we usually go out of the country for my birthday... the deals you find then are unreal.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:17 PM

78,653 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
The girlfriend and I are planning on a vacation at the very beginning of January for at least 7 days. She mentioned San Francisco, and I looked it up and that's an expensive time to go (hotels and taxi fees will run about $400 a day). I am 25 and she is 21. We are from Fargo ND.
Last week we went to florida (Clearwater and Daytona Beach).
My budget is about $3,000 with flights (can get fairly cheap flights).
I was thinking maybe San Juan, Puerto Rico (don't really know much about it yet), maybe LA, maybe Florida Keys, just need ideas on nice vacations that aren't too expensive in January.
Any info helps!
Thanks so much!
Jordan

Oh also, maybe Dominican Republic?
Cancun and the Yucatan Peninsula. January is perfect weather (not hot), and it's cheap once you get there. Look into discount fares from Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel