U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 AM

12,299 posts, read 18,417,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
That got me thinking, do you think 'tourists' who make a checklist of must-not-miss monuments qualify as less of a visitor compared to the 'do-good travelers'? For example, I've never been to Thailand but in the media, I see quite a number of people donning the typical traveler look (long disheveled hair, beard, beer in hand, singlet with the word 'Chang Beer' or 'Red Bull' emblazoned over it, flip flops...you get the picture). These people, I believe, would be quick to label themselves 'travelers' rather than 'tourists'.

What think you?
Travelers vs. tourists are just syntax to me. But you touch on the purpose of travel. In the end, it's a leasure activity. However the people that go to build an orphanage - you can almost classify them as a business traveler - they have a goal to do a job. The job just happens to be self-rewarding.

For the rest, I see no difference. Except that, simply enough, you get out of travel what you put into it. You can either go on some chaperoned old peoples tour and spend half your time on a tour bus and the other half visiting carpet shops. Not too rewarding to me but it's still travel. Or you can go the local route and backpack all over - very rewarding for me personally but I also want a certain level of comfort at my age. Do not confuse that with the people you see in Pucket however.

For your above example in Thailand. I hate those type of travelers, tourists, whatever you want to call them. I actually see that as one of the lowest forms of rewarding travel - those people with the disheveled hair and beer in hand. They could care less that they are in Thailand. They just want a cheap location to get drunk or laid in. They certainly don't care about the culture. It could be their backyard as far as they are concerned. I've seen this myself - Greece (drunk British on spring break), Bali (drunk Australians), south of Spain/Portugul (fish and chips shops set up everywhere). That's what causes some of these former places with a real identity to conform to what the tourists are used to back home. They turn those places into what we call "tourist slums".
I make an effort to avoid those fake plastic locations myself (i.e. Phuket, Kuta in Bali, Cancun...or just about any carribean cruise port).

Last edited by Dd714; 07-31-2014 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tourists: Work hard for their holiday, big budget, overpay for almost everything, stay in the same area the entire time (pool of hotel/beach on the other side of the road for example).

Travelers: Less hard working in general, smaller budget, know what the prices are, don't like to stay in the same place for too long because wants to experience as many thing as possible.

Tourists go to places in/around Europe, Travelers go to places far away from Europe.
Then there is the in-between. We work hard for our money. We usually have a decent budget and always choose a better hotel--doesn't need to be luxury, although that happens as well--but must be nicer than typical "tourist" level accommodations. We usually choose something equivalent to a Hilton or Marriott, and a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons now and then. I travel a lot with work and use my points to cover hotel rooms on vacation, so when I have enough, we'll use those to stay at an Inter-Continental or Ritz Carlton--anyone who wouldn't choose one of them over a Staybridge or Fairfield when it's free is either lying or nuts. I also cover many plane tickets with frequent flyer miles, and use them to fly business or first whenever possible.

Sometimes we rent a flat, it just depends on the trip. Sometimes we spend only a day or two in a place, other times a week or more. Sometimes we hit the major museums and monuments, other times we soak up the area like locals.

We've been to many parts of the world but keep returning to Europe as we love the art of the masters. I can stare at a painting by one of the Italian masters for hours. We also go to Europe as we have friends in several European countries, and enjoy visiting with them while we are there.

Bottom line, sometimes we are tourists, sometimes we are travelers. In the big picture, we are doing something that 90% of Americans will never do--visiting other parts of the world.

PS--We don't really do beach vacations, maybe once every five years for a few days.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Travellers also probably do not wear cameras around their necks lol
Not around my neck, but I do bring my camera along pretty much everywhere. I'm a (semi-retired) professional photographer who has had hundreds of photos published in various magazines and newspapers, and feel quite naked when I don't have my camera with me. It's too heavy to carry around my neck though, I typically carry it by the grip with the strap wrapped around my wrist.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,315,741 times
I would want a mix of both tourist and traveler.
I'm not into roughing it per se, however I am into seeing and exploring off the beaten path

Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,837,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
They're all tourists, plain and simple. Any distinction is artificial and subjective.
This is pretty much what I was going to post.

They're all tourists with different interests, goals, and methodologies. Neither is necessarily "better" than the other. I don't understand the need to differentiate.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I would want a mix of both tourist and traveler.
I'm not into roughing it per se, however I am into seeing and exploring off the beaten path
I agree with the above. I think a mix of major tourist attractions together with seeing and exploring off the beaten path but not completely roughing per se suits me.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Travellers also probably do not wear cameras around their necks lol
Not true.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Sometimes I'm a tourist, sometimes a traveler. I enjoy going off the beaten track and meeting the locals and trying local cuisine. But I also enjoy going places that tourists go to like the Vatican, Washington DC, castles, museums, ancient megalithic sites, etc etc. I enjoy safaris in Africa, medieval villages in France, trips through the mountains of Morocco, the southern coast of Australia, etc.

I loathe tacky touristy shops!

I always have my camera since I'm a serious amateur photographer.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,077,823 times
I think a lot of "travelers" who think they aren't "tourists" are kidding themselves.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
I think a lot of "travelers" who think they aren't "tourists" are kidding themselves.
And who in your opinion would qualify as a traveler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel