U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,748,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Probably someone who doesn't need to define himself as such.

Roll film: (Voiceover) "To him, tourist and traveler are labels that can not connote his worldliness...."
Somehow your comment made me think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18VkI0uDxE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 AM

4,135 posts, read 9,418,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What does any of this have to do with the fact that less than 30% of Americans have passports?

BY the way, I've already traveled this country extensively. Very, very extensively.
Many people have no desire to go away from home, plus, the country is large. If I lived in the middle of the country? I don't know if I'd have mine. However, since I'm an hour and a half drive from Toronto? The passport is dog-eared ( I yearn for the days when you just told the officers your citizenship and place of birth!), Going to Canada -- of, for that matter, going to the UP of Michigan through Canada, or up to Montreal and then loop thru New England? That is more relvant to me than going to the Midwest.

Everything is relevant to where you live and what you want to do. While our friends snowbird to FL, we shovel snow. In summer, when they come home to the "cool summer", we often are in the UP of Michigan or in New England or Canada. I pick my travel by the temperatures of the locale -- I'm not a fan of hot ( over 80 with humidity or 85 without) - I will take 60 anyday. Going north? That gets me closer to the 60 degrees in summer, esp. on the water!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Many people have no desire to go away from home, plus, the country is large. If I lived in the middle of the country? I don't know if I'd have mine. However, since I'm an hour and a half drive from Toronto? The passport is dog-eared ( I yearn for the days when you just told the officers your citizenship and place of birth!), Going to Canada -- of, for that matter, going to the UP of Michigan through Canada, or up to Montreal and then loop thru New England? That is more relvant to me than going to the Midwest.

Everything is relevant to where you live and what you want to do. While our friends snowbird to FL, we shovel snow. In summer, when they come home to the "cool summer", we often are in the UP of Michigan or in New England or Canada. I pick my travel by the temperatures of the locale -- I'm not a fan of hot ( over 80 with humidity or 85 without) - I will take 60 anyday. Going north? That gets me closer to the 60 degrees in summer, esp. on the water!
Done all that. Spent enough time in Canada working that I have a Social Insurance card. Drove back and forth across the US over a dozen times (Canada twice), and have been in every major city and small towns that don't even appear on maps.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
I think we're supposed to be impressed.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Some of my coolest experiences have been when I was in search of a meal. I once wandered into a coffee shop that was very off the beaten path in Athens, GA and sat down at the counter. I ended up having a remarkable conversation with the older gentleman next to me about his life, growing up in the deep south during the depression, leaving home at 14 to try to find factory work up north. He ultimately ended up back south in Atlanta working at a major hotel where all the "movie stars and famous people stayed." He told me about working there when they had the party after the premiere of Gone With the Wind.

After lunch I visited some of the major sites in Athens--the botanical garden and some Civil War historical places. Then I went to work for the next eight hours.

Traveler or tourist?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:24 PM

13 posts, read 9,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Or is the latter an egoistic term?

I remember joining an evening meetup group for people to share their travel experiences and I was all prepped up to regale everyone with my numerous trips to France, on how I soaked up the Parisian atmosphere by staying in a rented apartment, having le petit-déjeuner in quaint cafés, and visiting lesser-known museums, etc.

Just when I thought it was going to be a superb session, everyone, literally everyone started talking about how they roughed it out in a rickety passenger train en route to Cambodia to build an orphanage...they talked about getting their hands and legs muddy, and of course, plucking vegetables for their lunch that day. It was psychologically embarrassing so I refrained from sharing my stories while everyone waxed lyrical over the photos of them being 'travelers'.

That got me thinking, do you think 'tourists' who make a checklist of must-not-miss monuments qualify as less of a visitor compared to the 'do-good travelers'? For example, I've never been to Thailand but in the media, I see quite a number of people donning the typical traveler look (long disheveled hair, beard, beer in hand, singlet with the word 'Chang Beer' or 'Red Bull' emblazoned over it, flip flops...you get the picture). These people, I believe, would be quick to label themselves 'travelers' rather than 'tourists'.
I do think there is a difference between being a tourist and a traveler, but I certainly do not hinge the definition on the length of the trip, like many people do.

In your example, it seems like you are more of a traveler than the orphanage fake volunteers. This is because the charity-travel-trips are big business. Usually, you're stuck with other foreigners and it's basically an organized tour that lets you paint some walls and snap some pics with local kids to put on your Facebook. It's not much different from typical sightseeing trips, and it doesn't do much good in the country, either.

And you're right about Thailand. There are lots of gap year kids getting drunk and high for a year, as they hang out with other drunk and high westerners. That is not travel. That is just a full year of being the worst tourist of all.

Ultimately, it is a sliding scale.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM

104 posts, read 137,001 times
To me, a "tourist" is a subset of "traveller". People travel to visit landmarks, travel for work, travel for a wedding, travel to visit family, travel to go to some bit festival or sporting event or concert or whatever, etc. They're all travellers, just for different purposes.

Anyways, these discussions are almost always initiated to ridicule those who organize their travel itineraries around well-known attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel