U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 PM

156 posts, read 234,640 times

Advertisements

How do you classify your approach to visiting a country? Do you think there's a difference between what 'tourists' and 'travelers' typically do? Or is the latter an egoistic term?

I remember joining an evening meetup group for people to share their travel experiences and I was all prepped up to regale everyone with my numerous trips to France, on how I soaked up the Parisian atmosphere by staying in a rented apartment, having le petit-déjeuner in quaint cafés, and visiting lesser-known museums, etc.

Just when I thought it was going to be a superb session, everyone, literally everyone started talking about how they roughed it out in a rickety passenger train en route to Cambodia to build an orphanage...they talked about getting their hands and legs muddy, and of course, plucking vegetables for their lunch that day. It was psychologically embarrassing so I refrained from sharing my stories while everyone waxed lyrical over the photos of them being 'travelers'.

That got me thinking, do you think 'tourists' who make a checklist of must-not-miss monuments qualify as less of a visitor compared to the 'do-good travelers'? For example, I've never been to Thailand but in the media, I see quite a number of people donning the typical traveler look (long disheveled hair, beard, beer in hand, singlet with the word 'Chang Beer' or 'Red Bull' emblazoned over it, flip flops...you get the picture). These people, I believe, would be quick to label themselves 'travelers' rather than 'tourists'.

What think you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 AM

10,436 posts, read 12,481,555 times
Tourists: Work hard for their holiday, big budget, overpay for almost everything, stay in the same area the entire time (pool of hotel/beach on the other side of the road for example).

Travelers: Less hard working in general, smaller budget, know what the prices are, don't like to stay in the same place for too long because wants to experience as many thing as possible.

Tourists go to places in/around Europe, Travelers go to places far away from Europe.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:46 AM

418 posts, read 430,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tourists: Work hard for their holiday, big budget, overpay for almost everything, stay in the same area the entire time (pool of hotel/beach on the other side of the road for example).

Travelers: Less hard working in general, smaller budget, know what the prices are, don't like to stay in the same place for too long because wants to experience as many thing as possible.

Tourists go to places in/around Europe, Travelers go to places far away from Europe.
Interesting version of the 2.

I think what you pay makes zero difference.

A traveller could be more interested in the real culture, off the beaten track but I do not think you are 1 or the other.

I call it "being a tourist" when I took the kids to say Tower of London. We're British so we weren't in a strange country, but looking at something that could be classed as a "tourist" spot, although most "tourist attractions" have history etc.

Someone who would stay at the pool the whole time are just either lazy or their version of relaxing. (I think it's silly)

I'm in a hotel right now while works are being done on my apartment. I see the same teen on the sofa on his macbook all day long in the lobby. He came from the USA to France to sit on the sofa?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM

554 posts, read 691,160 times
To me a tourist is anyone going to a place with a schedule just to visit the place and then he goes back home.
A traveler is someone who just travel from place to place without agenda just to see the world. He works only to finance his travels, unlike the tourist.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:48 AM

9,268 posts, read 5,805,137 times
To me..

I see a tourist as someone who visits well known places

A traveller is someone who explores new places

Old 07-30-2014, 02:20 PM

21,457 posts, read 22,018,997 times
"Travelers" have larger hat sizes and think everyone else is a "Tourist"

Old 07-30-2014, 04:31 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,805,137 times
Travellers also probably do not wear cameras around their necks lol

Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 PM

318 posts, read 410,103 times
They're all tourists, plain and simple. Any distinction is artificial and subjective. Most people would fall somewhere in between. I freely admit when I go to a place I tend to check out the most lauded attractions, but at the same time, I do get off the beaten track. I'd hardly consider myself an adventurous traveller. So I trekked in the hills of northern Vietnam, explored ruins in Sri Lanka or slept on a yacht in the Whitsunday Islands, but they were all pretty easily done 'touristy' things. More adventurous things to me are exploring wild places few venture, doing 5-day treks in the wilderness or climbing real mountains, or going backpacking alone to places like Iran.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 PM

156 posts, read 234,640 times
What do you guys think of people who go to Thailand and don this look: long disheveled hair, beard, beer in hand, singlet with the word 'Chang Beer' or 'Red Bull' emblazoned over it, and flip flops.

I'm still trying to make sense of it.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM

318 posts, read 410,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
What do you guys think of people who go to Thailand and don this look: long disheveled hair, beard, beer in hand, singlet with the word 'Chang Beer' or 'Red Bull' emblazoned over it, and flip flops.

I'm still trying to make sense of it.
I confess I did buy a Chang Beer T-shirt, and wear 'flip flops' (or thongs, as we call them) a lot in places like Phuket, it makes sense in a beachy place.

Yeah, I stayed on Khao San, the 'backpacker's ghetto' as it's called. I think they're just following the crowd. A typical package tour to Thailand includes going to Bangkok to see the Royal Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, the water market, maybe try a cricket or two if you're brave...shopping at Siam Paragon, bars full of tourists, maybe checking out the ping pong show (I never got the appeal myself )...then perhaps up to Chiang Mai to do a bit of trekking, riding elephants, then Phuket, Koh Samui/Koh Phang Nga to do the 'must do' Full Moon Party. I'd say a good 80% of young tourists will 'do' Thailand this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel