U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:41 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
17hrs isn't too bad broken into 2 legs. (bad wording sorry) That's about 4 DVD's per day so you'll need 16 DVD's.
Pack snacks/sandwiches, etc. Capri Suns are great to freeze so they can keep your cooler cool.
My sister was talking about an organization that takes an RV to a campground where you'll be staying and they set it up and have it waiting for you when you pull in. I don't know how much that will cost.
Priceline, name your own price is always fun.
I'd stick with 8hr travel. You'll have time to relax in the hotel/campground pool. there was a white water rafting place that cost my son and me $13 to stay in their group cabin.
Where are you getting 17 hours to drive for CT to Orlando? Not happening unless you are driving 90 mph. between construction, accidents, and volume plus stopping for fuel and bathrooms breaks it will be 20 hours if they keep the breaks short.

Priceline will only guarantee one bed per room. OP would need to book two rooms. It would be cheaper to simply make a reservation at a modest hotel herself.

Those rental RVs are expensive--more so than a modest hotel would be.

Eight hours of driving per day makes the trip take the better part of three days each way. So that leaves them with two, maybe three days in Florida. Yup, that's a great plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 06:23 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,016,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Where are you getting 17 hours to drive for CT to Orlando? Not happening unless you are driving 90 mph. between construction, accidents, and volume plus stopping for fuel and bathrooms breaks it will be 20 hours if they keep the breaks short.

Priceline will only guarantee one bed per room. OP would need to book two rooms. It would be cheaper to simply make a reservation at a modest hotel herself.

Those rental RVs are expensive--more so than a modest hotel would be.

Eight hours of driving per day makes the trip take the better part of three days each way. So that leaves them with two, maybe three days in Florida. Yup, that's a great plan.
One can easily make it in 18 hrs. at the posted speed limits. The trick is to get a very good nights sleep and leave at 3 AM. If you're a disciplined driver and only stop for gas, restroom, and drive- thrus you'll be there by 9PM. It works out well because you miss all the traffic in the NE and DC, and you arrive before bedtime so fatigue isn't a problem. Of course I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. The trip back is another story. I've never made it North in the same amount of time no matter what time I leave.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
One can easily make it in 18 hrs. at the posted speed limits. The trick is to get a very good nights sleep and leave at 3 AM. If you're a disciplined driver and only stop for gas, restroom, and drive- thrus you'll be there by 9PM. It works out well because you miss all the traffic in the NE and DC, and you arrive before bedtime so fatigue isn't a problem. Of course I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. The trip back is another story. I've never made it North in the same amount of time no matter what time I leave.
That depends on where in CT you are leaving from. Additionally, when was the last time you made that drive? I can tell you for a fact that it doesn't matter what time of the day or night you are driving, there are construction projects that will slow you down. Additionally the OP has three kids in tow--that in itself will add two hours minimum each way. The OP has no history of driving more than a few hours from home--this is not a good trip to suddenly do a long distance in one shot.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,837,726 times
Quote:
Everyone has different thresholds. If you can do 18 hours, GREAT! (Though truthfully, I don't want to be sharing the road with someone who's been driving that long)

I cannot spend more than 8 hours in a car without losing my mind. Lower that to 6 hours if I'm the one driving. Driving straight through from CT to FL sounds like absolute hell to me, and not something I would ever attempt.

If OP isn't accustomed to long drives, I don't see her jumping into an 18 hour drive

Old 08-02-2014, 07:02 PM

4,151 posts, read 3,162,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avahsmom13 View Post
One more thing. The plane tickets are actually 500$ per person. Sorry I guess the person who told me theyd run about 900$ was still living in 1994.
This past winter break (Feb) I found tickets on Delta $ 47 round-trip from LGA to Daytona Beach (about 1.5 hrs) from MCO. 1 stop of course in ATL. Bought 4 tickets in Dec for less than $ 200 total. Another tip: do not park at Laguardia. It costs $ 32/day. Just park up the hill, on residential streets, and walk to the airport on 100th St circle and overpass. I have noticed flight crews and pilots do this too.

Don't just search for MCO arrival. Check close-by airports, like Daytona Beach and Melbourne, for example. I use Orbitz.com who gives flexibility for dates and area airports.

Quote:
The trip before this, I picked up my in-laws at JFK, rented a minivan and split the drive to Disney with my BIL. We made a trip out of it, with stops in DC, and Savannah.

However the most expensive part are Disney tickets themselves. We paid $ 400 for 4 people for one day on winter break. Plus another $ 200 or $ 300 inside for souvenirs, food, refreshments, etc.

The best large beach close-by is in Clearwater (Gulf of Mexico), about 2.5 hours from Disney. If you go, make sure you stop at Ybor City in Tampa for some good dinner. St. Augustine (Atlantic coast) is also very nice.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,016,238 times
Quote:
That depends on where in CT you are leaving from. Additionally, when was the last time you made that drive? I can tell you for a fact that it doesn't matter what time of the day or night you are driving, there are construction projects that will slow you down. Additionally the OP has three kids in tow--that in itself will add two hours minimum each way. The OP has no history of driving more than a few hours from home--this is not a good trip to suddenly do a long distance in one shot.
I'm just saying it's possible. I also said its not for everyone. My brother won't do it. My wife thought I was nuts until I proved it to her. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to the op unless she's done a similar trip before. I last made a similar trip in January. But it was White Plains to Sebastian, Fl in 17.5 hours.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,440,242 times
Quote:
Whoever is saying they are that expensive is nuts. I'm seeing fares are low as $200 per person r/t from PVD into FLL.

Mousesavers.com will be the best source of legitimate discounts for Disney tickets. Even then, expect to pay $1300 for your family for a few days, not including parking and food.
During Christmas week???

Hahahahaha! #$%^)*....now i've gone and wet myself.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
During Christmas week???

Hahahahahah!
Who said she was going Christmas week? If that's the case, then all bets are off. Airfares and hotels will be sky high, traffic on 95 will be hell, there's a good chance of bad weather, and it will take eight hours to ride three rides at Disney.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,148,738 times
Quote:
Who said she was going Christmas week? If that's the case, then all bets are off. Airfares and hotels will be sky high, traffic on 95 will be hell, there's a good chance of bad weather, and it will take eight hours to ride three rides at Disney.
Im planning a trip to Fla. With my three kids (14,12, &10). This would be a gift for Christmas/daughters ...

From post #1...

I guess, I assumed that. Gift for Christmas, would be done @ Christmas time...

Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,440,242 times
I also jumped to that conclusion but OP sort of hinted with the "Christmas gift" and also because kids are out of school that week.
Problem is, unless she takes them all out of school for this trip she will be travelling in one of the many "high seasons" like Easter, Xmas, even long weekends see airfares jump.

Of course they could travel down in summer, but i really can't imagine wanting to do THAT.
....but that's me, and I live in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or