Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Why is it a bad choice? You're allowed one carry one of a certain size for free. I do it all the time and sometimes carry enough clothes for a week. You just have to prioritize.
Let's just begin with the fact that they have limited planes and no interline agreements. If your flight is delayed or cancelled, it can be a long time--even days--before you'll get on another. You have to pay to select seats, and the luggage item that is free must fit under the seat. You do not get a second "small personal item." I travel carry on only and couldn't go for a week with their max size as there is no second item allowed.

Spirit is ranked #1--worst--of all US Airlines by any number of consumer and travel ratings groups. The worst part is that often their fares are no less expensive than anyone elses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM

2,956 posts, read 4,972,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Let's just begin with the fact that they have limited planes and no interline agreements. If your flight is delayed or cancelled, it can be a long time--even days--before you'll get on another. You have to pay to select seats, and the luggage item that is free must fit under the seat. You do not get a second "small personal item." I travel carry on only and couldn't go for a week with their max size as there is no second item allowed.

Spirit is ranked #1--worst--of all US Airlines by any number of consumer and travel ratings groups. The worst part is that often their fares are no less expensive than anyone elses.
Again,you have to prioritize. If you're traveling on a strict schedule, or for important business, I wouldn't consider them either. But for a budget conscious vacationer, they're ideal. You don't have to pay for seats unless you want a certain seat. I once volunteered to skip a flight because of overbooking, (they ask if anyone is willing and offer increasingly more generous options if noone is willing) and recieved a next day flight plus 2 free flights to anywhere they fly.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Again,you have to prioritize. If you're traveling on a strict schedule, or for important business, I wouldn't consider them either. But for a budget conscious vacationer, they're ideal. You don't have to pay for seats unless you want a certain seat. I once volunteered to skip a flight because of overbooking, (they ask if anyone is willing and offer increasingly more generous options if noone is willing) and recieved a next day flight plus 2 free flights to anywhere they fly.
As I said, there are often as good or better fares on other carriers. Spirit and Southwest have both done a con job on the Sheeple, making them believe they are the cheapest, when often they are not. And unless it's the last flight of the day, other carriers would get you to your location the same day if they bump you. Plus give you money or tickets, plus usually a first class upgrade.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,053,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avahsmom13 View Post
Along with the answer to my question. ..if I rented a car (because mine will not make it) and drove round trip would it be much less expensive than plane tickets for 4? (About 900$)? Thanks for the help.
I don't understand why you think that your car won't make the trip down and back from Florida. What kind of car is it? How old? What mileage? My 1994 Civic has 418K miles and I wouldn't hestitate to drive to CA and back in her.

Highway miles are much kinder on a car than stop and go city traffic.

What is your budget for the trip?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,053,644 times
And if you really are on a budget, you may not be able to accomplish everything you want this year. What's more important to you, a Disney visit or having your children meet their grandmother. Or is it time to buy a newer car?

Is it possible to fly your mother up for Thanksgiving?

And later on, what about going to Disney with just your daughter, since it's her birthday you want to celebrate. Just the two of you could fly down. Everyone else stay home with their dad or other relatives. But am another person who isn't that impressed with the Disney experience. I don't think it a necessary part of childhood and find it way overpriced.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:15 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,731,904 times
Why has nobody mentioned MEGABUS? I halfway-googled it, and I see "New York to Orlando, from $90.00." The trip time from Darien (just what I entered into the search) to Orlando is estimated at sixteen hours, in a graphic that came up on the results page.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Why has nobody mentioned MEGABUS? I halfway-googled it, and I see "New York to Orlando, from $90.00." The trip time from Darien (just what I entered into the search) to Orlando is estimated at sixteen hours, in a graphic that came up on the results page.
have you looked at their safely history?

There's no way to legally make Darien to Orlando in 16 hours. It takes that long from Central NJ, in perfect conditions with a total of three very short stops. Additionally you'd need another $90 for the return. You could fly for $20 more.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
OP's sister wants to be able to bring her car to Orlando.
That's another thread.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,928,356 times
From NYC the furthest South you can get on 1 MegaBus Ticket is Atlanta.

You then need to Do a separate Ticket to Orlando. It is not a connected ticket, so if your inbound bus in late, and you miss the outbound bus, you are buying another ticket.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,713,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's another thread.
Whoops, wrong thread-- two people asking about going from CT to Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel