U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Luxury Flight or Luxury Hotel?
Luxury Flight 12 18.46%
Luxury Hotel 53 81.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:11 PM

8,927 posts, read 13,683,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Trust me, there is a HUGE difference, unless you are flying some crap carrier like Ryanair. Even if the seats don't lay flat, there is still an extra 12" or more of leg room, 4" or more of width, upgraded amenities and food, etc.
I didn't fly Ryanair or other budget airlines and you're totally missing my point.

Quote:
By the way, unless you are staying in your room the entire time, you will be spending more time in the plane seat on a 30 hour round trip than in a hotel room for two nights.
Again, you're just being pedantic. The time spent in the actual hotel might be less but you'll be spending time doing more things in the hotel than you would on a flight (like showering, changing clothes, etc, which I wouldn't want to do in a hostel). Furthermore, everyone expects some amount of stress during travel but once you're there, you want to relax and enjoy yourself, which is difficult when you know you have to go back to a hostel that you hate. Even if you're not IN the hotel/hostel itself, it's quality will still influence your entire 3 day stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM

10,431 posts, read 12,436,404 times
Still nobody answered my question...
Where is the hotel/hostel located at?
in Bangkok i can stay in a nice appartment with daily cleaning for just $23 per night, i think the average hostel price in Tokyo is $32 per night.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I didn't fly Ryanair or other budget airlines and you're totally missing my point.

Again, you're just being pedantic. The time spent in the actual hotel might be less but you'll be spending time doing more things in the hotel than you would on a flight (like showering, changing clothes, etc, which I wouldn't want to do in a hostel). Furthermore, everyone expects some amount of stress during travel but once you're there, you want to relax and enjoy yourself, which is difficult when you know you have to go back to a hostel that you hate. Even if you're not IN the hotel/hostel itself, it's quality will still influence your entire 3 day stay.
Which brings me back to my original suggestion, go with business or premium economy and use the savings for a moderate hotel along the lines of a Hilton or Marriott type property.

By the way--most carriers give pajamas to wear in first class, so yes, you do change on a plane. Some carriers have showers on the plane for first class as well.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:07 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,304,547 times
Middle class on both.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 AM

6,161 posts, read 6,330,453 times
If I had to pick one or the other I would take the first class travel. I have never stayed in a six star hotel. However I have stayed in many 5 star hotels. Except for one I did not find the rooms to be anything special. They got their 5 star ratings based on things like upscale dining, shopping, lounges and spas. These are all things I am not interested in.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 AM

10,431 posts, read 12,436,404 times
Really surprised i'm the only one that voted for the luxury flight.
We are talking about a 72-hours holiday, why even bother going to sleep with so little time, Why sit 15 hours on a a plane just to stay in a hotel room
People here showing their true "tourist" face, thought there were more travelers on this forum

Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
If I had to pick one or the other I would take the first class travel. I have never stayed in a six star hotel. However I have stayed in many 5 star hotels. Except for one I did not find the rooms to be anything special. They got their 5 star ratings based on things like upscale dining, shopping, lounges and spas. These are all things I am not interested in.
Actually, not the case. Those amenities are only part of the ratings.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 AM

There is no such thing as a "six star hotel."

The major rating organizations are Forbes (formerly Mobil) and AAA. Travel & Leisure ranks but doesn't rate, and frankly you aren't going to find anything that would rate less than a AAA/Forbes four diamond/star in there anyhow.

AAA awards diamonds, not stars. The max for either is five.

These ratings are based on inspections by professional raters. They put each property into a bucket based on they type of property it is--limited service, budget, full service, luxury, etc. For each bucket, there are criteria which must be met, and the property loses points for each item not met.

For example a budget motel needs to be clean, it needs to have adequate locks on doors and windows, it needs to offer basic amenities such as soap, shampoo, and facial tissues. Any drinking glasses need to either be sanitized using a prescribed sanitation procedure or be disposable and pre-wrapped. There needs to be someone available for emergencies 24/7, although this can be the manager who has an apartment on site and sleeps at night unless s/he is woken up by a guest.

On the other hand, a luxury hotel has a much, much higher standard to meet to achieve five stars. A phone call from the guest room to the front desk/concierge/guest services/etc. must be answered after one ring and the guest greeted by name, there needs to be 24 hour room service. There needs to be a doctor on call, a live plant or fresh flowers in the room. two phones in the room, a seating area which can be a sofa or a lounge chair with ottoman. Turn down service (twice daily housekeeping) is required, during which the ice bucket needs to be refilled, used towels replaced, drapes drawn and light left on (evening). Luxury hotels must also have bell services, valet parking, at least one lounge and full service restaurant, a concierge, business center, and either an on-site fitness center or arrangements for guests to use one nearby,

Even things like bathroom amenities have requirements. The sizes of the soaps/shampoos is defined--at one point they had to be minimum four ounce containers, I think it has changed to three ounces due to TSA rules in case people want to bring them home. Soap bars are also a minimum size, I can't recall what it is, but it's at least four times the size of the chips you get at budget properties. They are to be of a high quality spa or luxury brand. There's also a list of what types of toiletries must be included, but if I recall the minimum is soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion, vanity kit, sewing kit, and either mouthwash or toothpaste. Most better properties also offer a men's shave kit, shower cap, ladies razor on request, and more. Sheets need to be of a certain thread count, robes and slippers must be offered, and towels must be generously sized, thick, and there needs to be plenty of them.

Obviously those are the two extremes, but there are also set criteria for full service non-luxury (Hilton, Marriott, etc.) and limited service (Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, Courtyard, etc.) which reflect the services, amenities, quality of furnishings and linens, etc. that are expected in each level of lodging.

Web sites like Trip Advisor use guest comments and ratings to compile a rating--however it is not weighted, so a very inexpensive hotel with no amenities can actually end up higher rated than a Four Seasons simply because more people stay there and rate it high because it's cheap.

Face it, anyone can call their property six or even 12 stars. The reality is that no independent, professional rating organization does this, and I'd rather get my info from someone who works from a set criteria than the couple who lives in a 40 year old mobile home with a leaky roof who thinks the Red Roof Inn in Harrisburg is worthy of eight stars simply because they don't need to make the bed in the morning.

Here's a good article about the ways hotels are ranked and the pitfalls of believing many of the systems. The dirty truth about hotel ratings - CNN.com

By the way, hotel restaurants, lounges, and spas are not part of the rating system for hotels except that they must be present when appropriate for that level of property. The appraiser typically orders from room service to determine how the order is handled from the moment they answer the phone until the tray or trolley is removed, but they do not rate on the food quality or quantity. That is an entirely different system.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Really surprised i'm the only one that voted for the luxury flight.
We are talking about a 72-hours holiday, why even bother going to sleep with so little time, Why sit 15 hours on a a plane just to stay in a hotel room
People here showing their true "tourist" face, thought there were more travelers on this forum
I don't know about you, but I can't stay awake for 72 hours straight. Even if I fly first or business with a lay flat bed, the most sleep I'm going to get on the plane in six hours--my body just won't allow more. So by the time midnight rolls around (if I'm headed east, west is a whole different ball of hot wax) I'm tired, getting cranky, and wanting a solid 6-8 hours of sleep in a comfortable bed. It doesn't need to be in a five star hotel, but it's not going to be in a hostel or tourist class place, either.

Plus I want to take a shower at least a couple of times...

Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
End of the day, a first class flight is functionally a hostel, though the amenity kit is better and the odds are lower that you'll get barfed on by someone else in your cabin/dorm. So taking the luxury flight give you five nights in a hostel; taking the luxury hotel give you an environment where you can properly sleep and have a private bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or