U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Luxury Flight or Luxury Hotel?
Luxury Flight 12 18.46%
Luxury Hotel 53 81.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 AM

32,224 posts, read 33,133,758 times

Advertisements

I think that I would prefer the luxury hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:26 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,732,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
You know it is going to be an interesting stay when several of the parking spots near the hotel lobby have signs saying "Police Vehicles Only"
Or the sign in the lobby that reads, "No weapons of any type may be brought onto these premises."

As if the "bad guys" were going to pay attention anyhow.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,732,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yeah I get that but what you don't get is I was receiving that level of service in the coach class on Asian and other international carriers. I was referring to their attitude in general regardless of where you sit. In general, the flight attendants on American carriers feel entitled and act like they are some pseudo ship captain. On Asian carriers, the flight attendants are there to serve and act like it. The fact that it takes a first class ticket to receive basic service on an American carrier shows how pathetic their level of service is. I flew U.S. Airways to Rome and it was awful. Not only did the flight lack amenities compared to other carriers, their service was lousy too. You couldn't pay me to fly U.S. Airways domestic let alone international. I'll take a multitude of International carriers over American ones. But I agree that not all international carriers are great. I thought Lufthansa was also surly and rude. Trust me, fly Cathay Pacific, Emirates or Korean Air and you won't fly anything else. It's a world of difference in terms of service and luxury. Virgin Atlantic also offers amazing service.
I would, however they don't always fly where I want to go...

Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,943,735 times
I don't do hostels, but for a 3 day trip with a 15 hour flight? Only way I can imagine this scenario would be a super short business trip overseas or perhaps a quick trip somewhere for a funeral.

I'd pick the luxury flight. 15 hrs turns into 30 hrs RT. That's a LOT of time to be tied to an 18" wide chair with no leg room.

I try and swing First or Business class on vacations (assuming the flight is longer than 4-5 hrs) because I find I'm much better rested this way. I can arrive at my destination in a great mood and ready to go. And when it's time to come back, I don't undo all the good the vacation did me by being tied to that 18" wide chain in cattle-class.

I also like how the extra legroom and space you get with the premium cabins (especially if you get the cocoon, pod, or suite) makes it so much easier to move around, visit the bathroom without disturbing your seat mates, stretch your legs, avoid DVT, etc.

Before my BF started dating me, he'd never flown First or Business. I've apparently ruined him. I surprised him with a first class upgrade for our last trip and he's now a convert.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 AM

10,556 posts, read 8,823,396 times
Either way, you're going to be "Lost in Translation" believe me. I fly long distance a lot for 5 day stays and have massive jet lag on both ends of the journey. It is easier in business class than coach by a lot, but you can't beat jet leg. No matter if you spend $15 a night or $200, you're going to spend a lot of time looking at the ceiling and watching TV at 2AM. I guess i'd pick the hotel.

The longest coach trip I took: Copenhagen to Vienna, Vienna to Australia with a midnight stop in Kuala Lumpur, spent the night in the airport in Australia, Australia to NZ, NZ to Western Samoa. The redeeming feature of this trip was that I was able to collapse on a gorgeous beach for 4 days before my 2-day assignment.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM

218 posts, read 277,141 times
Definitely the luxury flight for me. I only look at hotels as places to sleep a few hours at and maybe if I'm lucky get a free meal.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM

14,187 posts, read 6,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yeah I get that but what you don't get is I was receiving that level of service in the coach class on Asian and other international carriers. I was referring to their attitude in general regardless of where you sit. In general, the flight attendants on American carriers feel entitled and act like they are some pseudo ship captain. On Asian carriers, the flight attendants are there to serve and act like it. The fact that it takes a first class ticket to receive basic service on an American carrier shows how pathetic their level of service is. I flew U.S. Airways to Rome and it was awful. Not only did the flight lack amenities compared to other carriers, their service was lousy too. You couldn't pay me to fly U.S. Airways domestic let alone international. I'll take a multitude of International carriers over American ones. But I agree that not all international carriers are great. I thought Lufthansa was also surly and rude. Trust me, fly Cathay Pacific, Emirates or Korean Air and you won't fly anything else. It's a world of difference in terms of service and luxury. Virgin Atlantic also offers amazing service.
Yes, I flew Singapore Airlines going to Malaysia. It was nice. And the flight attendants had the cutest uniforms too. Food was good, tea was good. It was a short flight from Singapore to Penang & back but it was a slightly luxurious short flight on that airline.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:55 PM

874 posts, read 1,082,565 times
Neither. You don't travel somewhere to see a new bed or bathroom, you travel to see a new country and have new experiences. Don't get me wrong, I like Business Class and beautiful hotels, but they aren't the reason I travel.

Exceptions granted for resorts, especially all-inclusive where you don't leave.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 AM

60 posts, read 55,076 times
Luxury hotel. I'd choose 5-7 days of paradise and maybe at most 12 hours of a little discomfort over 12 hours of luxury and 5-7 days of just meh. Maybe that's because I indulge myself in hotel service and United, the airline I'm sort of forced to fly most of the time, has yet to make me a victim of lost luggage.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,385,973 times
I would just take an Ambien or two before both flights or in mid-air.

I would gladly do anything to get 15 air hours away from here in the winter, unless the destination is Siberia or Mogadishu. Even Siberia I'd consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or