U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Kind of ironic considering the UAE is really not too fond of alcohol.
People in the region travel there because they can drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,379,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Any compensation?
I didn't pursue it; other than a cab ride to the airport to pick up the bag I wasn't out any cash, as I had enough stuff with me. I had travel insurance and if I had lost everything I would have filed a claim on returning home, but as it was it just didn't seem worth it to me.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 AM

60 posts, read 54,898 times
I was in Dusseldorf and got stuck for several days after the stupid volcano decided to erupt in 2010. Dunno if that counts as a layover, but if it does, that one cost me another several hundred bucks as I had to get another hotel and just wait it out.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:59 AM

11,682 posts, read 6,281,571 times
14 hours in Seoul awaiting a flight to Beijing; it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:18 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,380,853 times
This an oldie and shows my age. 1979. 24 hours in San Francisco. Flight to Seoul and then on to Singapore scheduled. Our flight actually left San Fran and we were in the air a couple of hours when the pilot informed us that the Korean president at the Time Park Chun Hee had been assassinated. The Seoul airport was shut down and I think martial law had been imposed. The pilot turned around and we went back to San Francisco. The airline put us up in a hotel for free and gave us some food vouchers so it wasn't entirely a negative experience.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:37 AM

116 posts, read 205,371 times
I'm scheduled to have a 12 hour overnight layover in Munich in June. This will be my first time flying and traveling alone so I'm not sure what to expect. I guess I will find a place to sleep and charge my electronics.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:11 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
I have a few 24 hour+ layovers per year. I plan for them.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:13 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
14 hours in Seoul awaiting a flight to Beijing; it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
ICN is a great airport to have long layovers at. Free tours of the city, a nice lounge for sleeping, shower facilities, good food options, etc.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:43 PM

11,682 posts, read 6,281,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
ICN is a great airport to have long layovers at. Free tours of the city, a nice lounge for sleeping, shower facilities, good food options, etc.
Yes, I was fairly comfortable resting right on the benches near the gate! (And since it was an overnight layover, I was pretty much the only one in the area). I didn't find too many great food options when I was there, though (maybe I wasn't looking very far, but the only place near my gate that I recall was a Subway). It was definitely one of my more enjoyable long airport layovers, though.

Note, while not technically layovers, I often arrive at the airport the night before an early flight. This is particularly so when the flight is so early that I can't justify spending money for another night at the hotel and where I'd have to otherwise pay a lot of money for a taxi to the airport (when I go the night before, I've always been able to take cheap(er) public transportation there). Doing this, I've had considerable stays at Atatürk, which, apart from the occasional crazy traveler and professional thief trying to cozy up to travelers, was actually pretty comfortable.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:22 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,078 times
Thankfully, my longest layover was only around 6 hours in Belgium this summer coming back from Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or