U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I detest EWR! Every time we've transferred through there it's been trouble. We used to fly in from Glasgow and transfer to Detroit, often having to change terminals - immigration, pick up and recheck bag, go through security again, etc.

Now we fly into Amsterdam and fly direct to Detroit. Much easier.
I don' like EWR either. I generally prefer PHL as my US gateway to Europe. I'm flying into EWR later this week, fortunately it's not a connection and I'll have a ride waiting for me. I am connecting through EWR on BA next year--was really trying for JFK so we could use the CCR, but EWR is beyond convenient for my traveling companion, and JFK is beyond inconvenient, so we'll make due in the Galleries First lounge at EWR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don' like EWR either. I generally prefer PHL as my US gateway to Europe. I'm flying into EWR later this week, fortunately it's not a connection and I'll have a ride waiting for me. I am connecting through EWR on BA next year--was really trying for JFK so we could use the CCR, but EWR is beyond convenient for my traveling companion, and JFK is beyond inconvenient, so we'll make due in the Galleries First lounge at EWR.
We used to fly Continental Glasgow-EWR-Detroit but only because they were partnered with Emirates and we collect their airmiles. They are no longer partnered so we now use Delta (hate them) and get airmiles for them. It seems like a waste to fly to Amsterdam and then fly back over our house on the way to Detroit. But we won't fly through London until we have absolutely no choice.

We used to fly through Philly and we did enjoy that airport. Did a one day layover once so we could look at the historic things. This was when we used to go to Florida in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
We used to fly Continental Glasgow-EWR-Detroit but only because they were partnered with Emirates and we collect their airmiles. They are no longer partnered so we now use Delta (hate them) and get airmiles for them. It seems like a waste to fly to Amsterdam and then fly back over our house on the way to Detroit. But we won't fly through London until we have absolutely no choice.

We used to fly through Philly and we did enjoy that airport. Did a one day layover once so we could look at the historic things. This was when we used to go to Florida in winter.
What's wrong with London? Yes, T5 is a pain, but why not BA out of London City--very easy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:43 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I detest EWR! Every time we've transferred through there it's been trouble. We used to fly in from Glasgow and transfer to Detroit, often having to change terminals - immigration, pick up and recheck bag, go through security again, etc.

Now we fly into Amsterdam and fly direct to Detroit. Much easier.
Why!? Theres a big massive food court and shopping centre!!

Why anyone would fly via there or even England is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It just seems that way because EWR is a cluster and more poorly planned than MCO--which isn't saying much.

The reality is that they have nearly identical passenger loads each year. Orlando is getting ready to expand to what will be almost double the size over the next 10 years, and is expected to be in the Top 5 US by 2020.
Yeah I realised that. With ewr its just a queue the whole time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don' like EWR either. I generally prefer PHL as my US gateway to Europe. I'm flying into EWR later this week, fortunately it's not a connection and I'll have a ride waiting for me. I am connecting through EWR on BA next year--was really trying for JFK so we could use the CCR, but EWR is beyond convenient for my traveling companion, and JFK is beyond inconvenient, so we'll make due in the Galleries First lounge at EWR.
We fly from EWR because its close and they fly from here.

The planes are fab with your own tv, only problem is that the meals are not too good and for some odd reason they only give out half a can of coke.

On our flight back the flight attendant was grumpy as hell and forgot to give me a meal. Then she was like "are you shore you want a meal".. Yes of course I want a meal!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What's wrong with London? Yes, T5 is a pain, but why not BA out of London City--very easy!
No way. London airports are always a major pain. A quick check says no direct flights from City to Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Why!? Theres a big massive food court and shopping centre!!

Why anyone would fly via there or even England is beyond me.
A big massive food court and shopping isn't a reason to fly through certain airports.

No, I don't fly through London. Amsterdam instead of EWR is a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:50 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
We fly from EWR because its close and they fly from here.

The planes are fab with your own tv, only problem is that the meals are not too good and for some odd reason they only give out half a can of coke.

On our flight back the flight attendant was grumpy as hell and forgot to give me a meal. Then she was like "are you shore you want a meal".. Yes of course I want a meal!!
Which airline and class of service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
We fly from EWR because its close and they fly from here.

The planes are fab with your own tv, only problem is that the meals are not too good and for some odd reason they only give out half a can of coke.

On our flight back the flight attendant was grumpy as hell and forgot to give me a meal. Then she was like "are you shore you want a meal".. Yes of course I want a meal!!
All international planes have the tv on the back of the seat. And the meals depend on the airline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top