U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 AM

398 posts, read 572,193 times

Advertisements

..if I booked a later flight? I'm flying out from Charlotte this Friday for my birthday and my flight leaves at 8 pm. There is a flight earlier at 6 pm and I was wondering if there was any way I can get on that flight instead? I will just have a carry-on with me, no checked baggage. What if I show up to the actual boarding gate of the 6 pm flight and "stand-by"? Not sure why I didn't book it the first time around But when I called the airline (US airways), they said for me to move it, it will be $200 It's not a big deal if I can't move it but it would be nice.

Last edited by K.Uni; 08-04-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM

12,300 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Standby policies vary by airlines. But this is only a two hour difference, so just show up and see what happens.

But a Friday afternoon flight for standby....I can tell you right now even the chance of a standby seat will be slim to none.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
US Airways will charge a standby fee unless you have FF status with them. Last I knew it was $75, but then again I have status so don't pay the fee.

Tell me where you are going and I can tell you your chances of standing by (with a fee.)

Old 08-04-2014, 09:47 AM

398 posts, read 572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
US Airways will charge a standby fee unless you have FF status with them. Last I knew it was $75, but then again I have status so don't pay the fee.

Tell me where you are going and I can tell you your chances of standing by (with a fee.)
Going back to my hometown, Boston!

Yeah, I figured I don't really have much to lose but time. I'm just really trying to dodge the fee :/ But like I said, not a big deal if I can't.. it just would be nice. There's also a flight that leaves around 4 pm.. Maybe I should get there and stand-by both the 4 pm and 6 pm

Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Going back to my hometown, Boston!

Yeah, I figured I don't really have much to lose but time. I'm just really trying to dodge the fee :/ But like I said, not a big deal if I can't.. it just would be nice. There's also a flight that leaves around 4 pm.. Maybe I should get there and stand-by both the 4 pm and 6 pm
Both are showing a lot of availability right now, although that doesn't mean that there aren't people without seat assignments who will of course have priority, as will elite FF's who finish their work day early and want to get home.

They won't allow you to stand by for both. If you don't get on the 4:00 they are supposed to automatically roll you over to the next flight, but that doesn't always happen, so be sure to verify they have done so.

That said, is it really worth $200 to get there a couple hours earlier? I can pretty well guarantee you will not dodge the fee. The only time I see them waive it is if there is a winter storm or hurricane coming and you are trying to beat it out, or if someone is trying to get someplace due to the verifiable death or grave illness of a family member.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:33 AM

32,095 posts, read 33,002,049 times
I know from a friend that United will charge you a fee even if there is room to fly standby on an earlier flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or