U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM

20,694 posts, read 19,666,417 times

Advertisements

Hey.

I have about 8,000 miles on the United mileage plus.
I have looked and you can get a trip to New York for 130,000

How do you build up these miles outside the US? Is there a card alliance or anything?
I shop alot and could do this but not online.

Any way to build these up besides flying??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,829,591 times
Mileage Plus has a credit card scheme with MBNA for UK citizens. One look on the United web site would have told you this. I'll let you use your super human evil eye powers to find the rest of the information on your own.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:32 PM

7,741 posts, read 16,215,119 times
There's a UK version of e-Rewards, though it's a program that's more useful for keeping an account active enough to prevent miles from expiring than as a primary earner. And there are better redemptions than United miles. Iberia Avois redeem at a lot better rate if you're going to do some intra-Europe travel, and I made IHG Gold Elite last year without ever leaving my couch because e-Rewards redeems as elite qualifying for that program for some odd reason.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM

20,694 posts, read 19,666,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There's a UK version of e-Rewards, though it's a program that's more useful for keeping an account active enough to prevent miles from expiring than as a primary earner. And there are better redemptions than United miles. Iberia Avois redeem at a lot better rate if you're going to do some intra-Europe travel, and I made IHG Gold Elite last year without ever leaving my couch because e-Rewards redeems as elite qualifying for that program for some odd reason.
I finally signed upto E reward!

But now it won't let me earn rewards for United only Virgin Atlantic were as other accounts let you pick which airline

Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM

7,741 posts, read 16,215,119 times
You generally only get to redeem for the program you signed up under unless that program decides to discontinue its partnership with e-Rewards (I can redeem for any option since Delta pulled out at the end of 2012). But you can cancel your Virgin account and then sign up for a new United account.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 PM

15,177 posts, read 19,227,199 times
Screw the mileage programs and get a credit card that gives you a choice of mileage, various other products, or the best benefit -CASH!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Screw the mileage programs and get a credit card that gives you a choice of mileage, various other products, or the best benefit -CASH!
I use both--I get more mile value when I use my affiliated credit card to purchase a plane ticket than I would using my cash back/miles/etc. rewards card. I use my AmEx to rent cars as it offers the highest level of insurance. I have five cards and choose which to use based on which will offer the most value out of that particular purchase. One card give five points for restaurants, so guess where all my meals go?

Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 AM

437 posts, read 622,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Hey.

I have about 8,000 miles on the United mileage plus.
I have looked and you can get a trip to New York for 130,000

How do you build up these miles outside the US? Is there a card alliance or anything?
I shop alot and could do this but not online.

Any way to build these up besides flying??
130,000 for a r/t from Ireland to NYC??? I certainly hope this is in business class.

I did Denver to Siem Reap r/t in business class for 100,000 earlier this year. Have mileage requirements skyrocketed?

It may make better sense for you to see how much a regular ticket will cost before spending many times that trying to scrounge together miles. Some places, like my apartment complex, have schemes that let you charge your rent via credit card, but tack on a monthly c/card processing fee that makes it much less appetizing. You may also consider taking a coach reward for this relatively short flight.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
130,000 for a r/t from Ireland to NYC??? I certainly hope this is in business class.

I did Denver to Siem Reap r/t in business class for 100,000 earlier this year. Have mileage requirements skyrocketed?

It may make better sense for you to see how much a regular ticket will cost before spending many times that trying to scrounge together miles. Some places, like my apartment complex, have schemes that let you charge your rent via credit card, but tack on a monthly c/card processing fee that makes it much less appetizing. You may also consider taking a coach reward for this relatively short flight.
That's a r/t standard award in economy. If you travel off peak it can be as few as 65K miles in economy and 115K in business.

He's got a long way to go to earn a free ticket. A better thought would be to purchase Y and use 30K miles to upgrade to C.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 AM

32,349 posts, read 33,248,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You generally only get to redeem for the program you signed up under unless that program decides to discontinue its partnership with e-Rewards (I can redeem for any option since Delta pulled out at the end of 2012). But you can cancel your Virgin account and then sign up for a new United account.
I used to earn miles for Delta on e-Rewards until Delta pulled out. e-Rewards (in the USA) does have a United option but you need to earn a huge number (I can't remember the exact amount) before it allows you to deposit (transfer) them into your mileage plus account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or