U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:40 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,776,584 times

Advertisements

All the time! In USA and abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,072,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Giesela, I agree about the tradeoffs. When I was with a group we actually missed one stop that was very important to me, because we had to wait for two very inconsiderate people who wandered off and held up the entire group. I doubt I'll get back there again and if I do it won't be the identical trip, so these people ruined a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me and several others.

Ameriscot, two years in Uganda must have been quite an experience. I was very aware that my six-week trip was barely even scratching the surface of the places I was seeing, and I've often wished I could spend far longer in different places I've visited.

WyoEagle, I planned the trip through a tour company that I doubt I would use again. I traveled for 2-3 days alone before, during and after the group tours (had a 2-day break in between groups), and was with two different groups for 2 and 4 weeks, respectively. The lodges were fine and they served their purpose (bed and bath).

I was covering a lot of distance in a short time, had never been there before and had only so much time and money, so I chose to go the tour-group route. However, I found moving in a 'pack' to be stressful. At the same time, there is something to be said for safety in numbers (which could apply anywhere, though it is not a guarantee of safety) and also traveling with a guide who knows the area.

I think everyone has to decide what their comfort level is, along with keeping apprised of what may be happening in the areas you want to visit. For example, someone I kept in touch told me it was good I went when I did, given subsequent unrest early the following year (at that point I probably would not have gone at all).
That would make me so angry if I was a group who was inconsiderate like that. What was the name of the tour company you went to Africa with? Do you have suggestions for a good one or are those two countries easy to visit on your own? Would you camp if you went to Africa instead?

Sorry everyone for taking this off topic a bit!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,384,138 times
Wyo, I will send to a direct message.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:24 PM

519 posts, read 889,787 times
I haven't done a lengthy vacation or trip abroad alone, but several years ago, I was meeting a college friend in Vegas for 5 days and she didn't care about seeing the Grand Canyon or Death Valley while out that way, so I went out several days before, rented a car (convertible) and went to Death Valley, and then stayed several days after and went to the Grand Canyon by myself. I was in my late 20's at that point. Would absolutely do it again. Common sense and some situational awareness is all that is needed.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 PM

519 posts, read 889,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Howard View Post
I want to go London city for my vacation. Long time vacation. Is it good city for my vacation trip ?
Yes, absolutely! I did a 2 week trip with a friend, but would absolutely feel fine going by myself too. Excellent public transit...buses and the tube...lots of places to visit depending on your interests! Easy to take a train to other cities for a day trip (like Bath or York or Windsor, etc.). My friend and I actually split up on some days to do different things...like I wanted to see the horses at the Royal Mews and she could care less. So we did our own things on some days.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,384,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
I haven't done a lengthy vacation or trip abroad alone, but several years ago, I was meeting a college friend in Vegas for 5 days and she didn't care about seeing the Grand Canyon or Death Valley while out that way, so I went out several days before, rented a car (convertible) and went to Death Valley, and then stayed several days after and went to the Grand Canyon by myself. I was in my late 20's at that point. Would absolutely do it again. Common sense and some situational awareness is all that is needed.
Texas, I loved Death Valley (in January). Haven't been there in many, many years but never forgot it. Drove there on my own but knew someone who worked there, so I got to stay in one of the residential communities during my one-week visit and bum around during the day. What an amazing place.

Can't believe I didn't even own a camera back then--drat! I'd love to have pictures from that trip.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:08 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,757,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Giesela, I agree about the tradeoffs. When I was with a group we actually missed one stop that was very important to me, because we had to wait for two very inconsiderate people who wandered off and held up the entire group. I doubt I'll get back there again and if I do it won't be the identical trip, so these people ruined a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me and several others.

Ameriscot, two years in Uganda must have been quite an experience. I was very aware that my six-week trip was barely even scratching the surface of the places I was seeing, and I've often wished I could spend far longer in different places I've visited.

WyoEagle, I planned the trip through a tour company that I doubt I would use again. I traveled for 2-3 days alone before, during and after the group tours (had a 2-day break in between groups), and was with two different groups for 2 and 4 weeks, respectively. The lodges were fine and they served their purpose (bed and bath).

I was covering a lot of distance in a short time, had never been there before and had only so much time and money, so I chose to go the tour-group route. However, I found moving in a 'pack' to be stressful. At the same time, there is something to be said for safety in numbers (which could apply anywhere, though it is not a guarantee of safety) and also traveling with a guide who knows the area.

I think everyone has to decide what their comfort level is, along with keeping apprised of what may be happening in the areas you want to visit. For example, someone I kept in touch told me it was good I went when I did, given subsequent unrest early the following year (at that point I probably would not have gone at all).
It was a very good experience. I'll never forget it and have lifelong Ugandan friends and one who is like a daughter to us. My husband had volunteered to train teachers there so we lived on the campus of a teachers' college. Indoor flushing toilet for which I was very grateful but no hot water or washing machine. Intermittent electricity and dead slow internet with a dongle. I adapted.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,757,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Does one have a family or significant-other, and chooses to go alone to take a break from them (or because they're unavailable)? Or is one single, and without a family? That is an important distinction.

In the latter case, the choice is either to stay home, or to travel alone. And a further consideration: is the objective of the trip just to relax/explore/absorb, or to potentially meet someone?

There are times when being alone is an advantage; I like museums, and if a companion preferred shopping instead, the logistics are easier if traveling alone. But as others have said, sitting alone in a restaurant is draining and unnerving, especially in places like Europe, where it is expected that dining-out is a social venture. Seeing the more romantic sights the banks of the Seine River in Paris come to mind tug on one's consciousness and produce onrush of regret and self-pity for being alone.

I traveled alone with some frequency in my early to mid 20s, in the post-collegiate time of discovery, when a companion would have been appreciated but was neither expected nor necessary. Then years passed, and I was no longer alone. Now, years after a divorce, it's painful to rediscover the necessity of traveling alone.
My first trip abroad was solo and I was in a relationship. He wasn't interested in going abroad at all.

I'm married and in the UK now and trips alone, so far, have been to places in the UK that my husband didn't want to go on - Northumbria, North Yorkshire. The trips were only for a few days each. I plan to visit the Orkneys by myself as he had no interest in that either. Otherwise, we do a LOT of travel together.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:34 AM

24 posts, read 20,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
I've heard about times where people on the radio said they've gone to the beach to get away after working and they went alone, but had a great time. The guy on the radio show said the person calling in was brave and asked what advice that person would give to those considering doing the same thing.

Has anyone ever done this?

The farthest I've gone from home by myself just for fun was 5 hours away. Anything farther away was for school or work.
Saudi Arabia is the farthest away I've been from home. It was fun!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,219,120 times
I had a job that had me traveling the US alone for about ten years. I did two international trips alone of about two weeks. Every weekend from about noon on Friday to Monday morning was a vacation alone for six to seven months a year. There was many times the company didn't have me scheduled so I hung around the beach for four or five days.

I absolutely loved being alone but the down side is you have no one to share those great moments with and people get bored quickly with you always regaling them with stories of your travels. The up side is I remember every detail about the places and people I met because I experienced them with my mind only focused on that person or place. I have even recreated recipes from memory. I had a wonderful Udon soup and sat quietly thinking to myself as soon as I get home I am going to make this. I studied its nuances while I ate it instead of having conversation which would have been the typical experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or