U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 AM

17 posts, read 14,274 times

Advertisements

My husband of many decades and I like to vacation together at least twice a year. But about once a year, I head out for a week or so on my own. I may stop in to see my relatives for a night or two, but then I'm off again. He does the same, except he prefers to vacation with his older brother.
When I'm entirely on my own, I'm a chatterbox. I chat up everyone. I ask lots of questions. I end up getting lost in great places, usually in the country, where I meet more great people. I have experiences I wouldn't have if my husband was along. (The ghost nun in Whiteladies Priory in Britain for example wouldn't have made herself known if I hadn't been by myself.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:46 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,185,204 times
I went to Dublin for a day the other week.

If that counts as a vacation.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
I travel for fun without my wife pretty often. We have different ideas of fun, and while we enjoy each other's company tremendously, we can do that at home (or we can do it better at home). I usually combine pleasure travel with business travel, showing up early or staying late in the country or state that I'm visiting, and that makes it more practical but once in a while I just go somewhere I want to visit.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,390,394 times
I love to travel alone, doing what I want, when I want!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,886,862 times
It's great! As other posters have said, you are totally free to do whatever you want. It can be pricey though, as there is nobody to split the cost of hotels, gasoline, etc.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM

7,728 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I've traveled extensively in Europe and the US alone. If you wait for the ideal circumstances or companion to travel, you will miss out.

One of the great benefits of solo travel is that your enjoyment of the trip becomes your responsibility. You are forced to develop the ability to converse with strangers easily because your enjoyment of solo travel is largely dependent on the myriad of human interactions you make during the day. Impromptu conversations with someone at another table at a restaurant, a kind word with someone while waiting on a line... these will add meaning to your trip--the sights alone won't do it. If you take a real interest in the peoples and cultures where you visit and keep a positive attitude, you will really enjoy solo travel.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 PM

25 posts, read 26,107 times
I am getting ready for my solo trip to the Caribbean. I'm not really sure what to expect, but I really wish that I had friends and/or family to go with, but they couldn't make it to due to financial and job related issues.

I've always believed that I shouldn't limit myself and wait around for others, since I have the opportunity and resources to travel. But I cringe at the idea of sitting alone during meal times, or walking alone throughout the resort. I think it may be acceptable for men, but not so much for women.

I have so many concerns, but I'm trying to get over my fears.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 AM

14,190 posts, read 6,428,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_432 View Post
I am getting ready for my solo trip to the Caribbean. I'm not really sure what to expect, but I really wish that I had friends and/or family to go with, but they couldn't make it to due to financial and job related issues.

I've always believed that I shouldn't limit myself and wait around for others, since I have the opportunity and resources to travel. But I cringe at the idea of sitting alone during meal times, or walking alone throughout the resort. I think it may be acceptable for men, but not so much for women.

I have so many concerns, but I'm trying to get over my fears.
I'm going to an island off of Nicaragua by myself in November. I get your concerns, my main concern is the actual flying, I am a horrible horrible flier. And I have to stay overnight at the airport in Managua both arriving & leaving. Not fun I suspect. As for the actual vacation, I'm looking forward to just hanging on the beach reading as much as I can. I can't do that too often when I'm with people, they tend to get annoyed when I read all the time, lol. Eating by myself...yeah, that might be uncomfortable. Also going to a bar there by myself will be uncomfortable. BUT, I was happy to see an article about solo traveling for women & the author listed Little Corn Island as her top destination for solo female travelers so that puts me at ease. I look at it as a chance to gain more independence & it'll force me to strike up conversations with people and just meet people in general on my own. I guess I look at it like a learning experience. It can only get easier after that. Let us know how your trip goes, I'm curious to hear about it!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM

490 posts, read 895,008 times
I just finished a cruise to the caribbean by myself. Loved it.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,485,537 times
I went to Amsterdam for a week solo earlier this year. Had a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or