U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,151,966 times

Advertisements

Of course. Most of them. Belize, Cambodia, Peru, several other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,746,596 times
I enjoy traveling with my husband and we do several big trips a year, but we enjoy many of the same things. There are still some places I would go on my own that he's not really interested in. And he's done the same.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
I have literally done nothing but solo trips. No one is committed enough to come with me, and I wouldn't want it that way anyways. I hate compromises when I am on foreign territory.

The only exception is when I meet my German girlfriend in Germany and we travel around there and Europe together. It's not like I wouldn't travel Europe alone, though.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:05 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,501,905 times
I might goto America by myself next year because my family can't be bothered and anyone else hasn't enough money.

I will be able to do whatever I want! I also won't have to listen to home bodies like my father whining and whining about not being in Northern Ireland/the 'journey'.
By the time we got to the 2nd week he was texting and texting my brothers and sisters back home/checking the NI news every hour.

He's always been the same and never will change.. I just cannot understand what is so fascinating about this craphole of a country that he can't even stay out for even a week without wanting to come back.

I could've stayed in America right through to September and still would not WANT to come home..

Last edited by Mac15; 08-07-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Many said I was being brave for traveling solo - and that first trip abroad was as a 46 year old female. I would call it brave depending on what country you go to. I've only been to English speaking countries alone.
I wouldn't goto Europe alone..

Old 08-07-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I prefer to travel alone, I'm very sociable and 99% of the time make friends and companions were I am..
Been on a few trips with friends, it's always the same. Someone wants to do one thing, someone wants to do another..
It ends up where most often not everything everyone wants to do gets done.. If I'm alone I control my own activities..
I can go out or chose to stay in if it's a rainy nasty day.. I can come and go as I please, turn in when I want and change my plans at the last minute if I want...

If I were doing something with some risk involved, Hiking long distance, anything to do with water.. I would want a travel partner. Camping is also another thing that is just more fun with Friends or family...
Or in my case i'll be the only one wanting to do something, instead everyone else wants to sit on the sofa ALL DAY.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,135,159 times
Yes I now take all my vacations by myself due to the death of the wife. Although forced into this pattern as I do not wish to take another wife I have adjusted well. I find that there are advantages in that I can focus only on those things of interest. Perhaps the key is to plan well and be detail focused with always the flexibility to toss the plan and go entirely in a different direction.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,965,541 times
I did, a couple of times, when I was in my early 20s. It was amazing!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I might goto America by myself next year because my family can't be bothered and anyone else hasn't enough money.

I will be able to do whatever I want! I also won't have to listen to home bodies like my father whining and whining about not being in Northern Ireland/the 'journey'.
By the time we got to the 2nd week he was texting and texting my brothers and sisters back home/checking the NI news every hour.

He's always been the same and never will change.. I just cannot understand what is so fascinating about this craphole of a country that he can't even stay out for even a week without wanting to come back.

I could've stayed in America right through to September and still would not WANT to come home..
You do realize that the public transport over there is rubbish and you're too young to hire a car? You have to be 25.

You said elsewhere you'd never go back to Florida and now you say you would have stayed longer?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I wouldn't goto Europe alone..
I am planning a trip to France alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or