U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM

466 posts, read 430,895 times

Advertisements

I'm a female solo traveler and do it all the time. I've done the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok, in 3rd class all by myself, stopping off in several cities along the way. Like Ameriscot mentioned, I sometimes miss the company when eating in restaurants, and sometimes I miss the small talk, but I'm quite sociable so I tend to make friends along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,527,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You do realize that the public transport over there is rubbish and you're too young to hire a car? You have to be 25.

You said elsewhere you'd never go back to Florida and now you say you would have stayed longer?
A cities..

Old 08-07-2014, 03:28 PM

208 posts, read 513,620 times
Yes. I traveled alone in Japan and also in the UK. Those were some of the most memorable trips I've taken! It was surprisingly freeing to travel solo - I went where I wanted, when I wanted, and did only what I wanted to do. Along the way, I met other travelers who also traveled solo and hung out together sometimes, but otherwise, it was my trip.

I don't think I'd feel safe traveling solo in developing countries, but that's just me.

Now that I have a family and young toddler - don't get me wrong, I love my family dearly - a trip just for me to get away sounds so good right now!

Last edited by mllex; 08-07-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM

466 posts, read 430,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I prefer to travel alone, I'm very sociable and 99% of the time make friends and companions were I am..
Been on a few trips with friends, it's always the same. Someone wants to do one thing, someone wants to do another..
It ends up where most often not everything everyone wants to do gets done.. If I'm alone I control my own activities..
I can go out or chose to stay in if it's a rainy nasty day.. I can come and go as I please, turn in when I want and change my plans at the last minute if I want...

If I were doing something with some risk involved, Hiking long distance, anything to do with water.. I would want a travel partner. Camping is also another thing that is just more fun with Friends or family...
^^^This^^^

I like doing things on pretty much my own schedule. I plan my itinerary around when the sites were open, what areas I would be in, etc. Knowing myself, I always need the flexibility of having that one chill day, where I can take it easy. I can't really have that when I'm traveling with others.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Yes, I went to the Galapagos Islands for 5 days by myself. While there I went on daily tours each day with a different tour guide and different people. I had an interesting and enjoyable trip.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM

7,742 posts, read 9,037,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Or in my case i'll be the only one wanting to do something, instead everyone else wants to sit on the sofa ALL DAY.
And I thought I've had some bad traveling companions who just wanted to shop or go clubbing all the time.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 PM

3,348 posts, read 3,051,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post

Has anyone ever done this?

Yes. To Ireland, Brasil, France and New Zealand.

My mother gave me some advice long ago - if you sit at home and wait for people to do things/go places that you want to do/go, you might be an old woman and never do it, so just do it/go!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:10 PM

874 posts, read 1,078,543 times
I've traveled by myself quite a bit. I love traveling with friends, and if I really want to do a trip and none of my friends can join, I will go anyway. Life is too short to wait.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,434,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Yes. To Ireland, Brasil, France and New Zealand.

My mother gave me some advice long ago - if you sit at home and wait for people to do things/go places that you want to do/go, you might be an old woman and never do it, so just do it/go!
Great advice! My mom is worried about me going to Nicaragua by myself but I told her I can't wait until one of my friends wants to go somewhere I want to go, that could take forever. Besides, I feel it's a great thing to do to become more confident & independent. I'm not scared to go there at all, it's the flight that scares me way more!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,751,817 times
Yes, frequently. I find solo traveling to be as close to freedom as possible. I go when and where when I want, can linger at places that interest me, talk to whomever interests me, etc. I look at travel like exploring - not for shopping / conventional entertainment (anything I could experience just as well at home) , or being sedentary (with rare occurrence , say if a place is just that awe inspiring - natural wonder, for instance) - I'm not hung up on staying in (home bound) unless it is only recourse or I am in reflective mood. I've only taken a few beach type vacations.

I think it has to do with the little bit of traveling with family / siblings in formative years and the seemingly constant trying to figure out where / what etc... or the feedback I hear from those I've crossed paths with in Europe who where traveling with a tour group. The rigid scheduling reminds me too much of a work schedule and to me travel should be more fun than work hence I make a 'parameter schedule' whereby I know I want to do / see certain things but I do them when the time is most apt.

Been to Europe for three weeks at a time three times (6-8 cities / 4-5 countries each time) and done many road trips throughout the US.
Northeast in Autumn (Hall of Fame tour)
Lewis Clark trail (portions)
Lower Mississippi
Western Rockies National Parks
California coast a few times
Multiple short side trips to desert Southwest (AZ, NM, W TX) out of PHX or LAS
Long weekends to cities to add to MLB Ballparks list and hit the historic / architectural sites etc...

There are certain times it would be great to have a SO as companion or someone riding shotgun for safety (the few times I've been in remote wilderness areas) , but I am not of the mind to wait around. Carpe Diem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or