U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,787,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I would love to hear your reasons why.
This puzzles me as well since I have been to Europe several times by myself including paris and London and Scotland and let me tell you those were some of the nicest people and trips I have ever taken . I got lost in London and Scotland and there was a tour group and they were so helpful and got me back on the right track . Nice nice people and actually met a guy there around my age and he was recently divorced like me . we wrote to each other a few times but lost touch after a while I wonder what he is doing these days ..oh well just thought I would ask why .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 06:30 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,787,294 times
after my divorce I went to London and it was sooooooo peaceful and nice and would do it again in a heart beat .

Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 AM

56,053 posts, read 54,552,165 times
I plan to do more traveling alone. I am 56 and have no significant other, and most of my friends or family are attached or wouldn't be interested in going where I want to go.

I already do lots of things alone--go to dinner, go to Atlantic City, go to the beach (not really a vacation because I don't live far from a beach--it's fifteen minutes away). I would enjoy a trip by myself.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,829,067 times
At least once a year I'll go camping with some buddies and I try to get to the site a day or two early.

It's awesome to have a night or two alone without any other input to cloud your thinking and I get to look forward to seeing some close friends.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,700,735 times
I celebrated a divorce by going to Scotland solo. Still the most fun I've ever had on a vacation. Got to play the Old Course because some group from So.Carolina was short a player. That wouldn't have happened if I'd been with a spouse/gf. Also got "adopted" by a punk band at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (I was 40 at the time), who took me around to a number of sketchy (but fun!) clubs until daylight. Hiked Ben Nevis alone, except for mountain goats that followed me around. Met a lot of great folks. Learned never to buy a Glaswegian a beer because they'll never leave you and won't shut up (and you can't understand them anyway). Did some scotch tours. Drove a sports car on wrong side of road without anyone in passenger seat screaming at me. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,374,570 times
Yes. Last international trip on my own - Paris, Barcelona and other cities in Spain.
Last US trips on my own - Seattle, Alabama.

All for pleasure.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 12,188,292 times
The beach is only 20 minutes away from here and that actually sounds like a great idea to go alone on a weekday but I've never done it. If they had wifi out there I could just sit there and work instead.

I wouldn't go on a vaca hours away alone. It would not be fun. I'm already alone all day at home.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I celebrated a divorce by going to Scotland solo. Still the most fun I've ever had on a vacation. Got to play the Old Course because some group from So.Carolina was short a player. That wouldn't have happened if I'd been with a spouse/gf. Also got "adopted" by a punk band at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (I was 40 at the time), who took me around to a number of sketchy (but fun!) clubs until daylight. Hiked Ben Nevis alone, except for mountain goats that followed me around. Met a lot of great folks. Learned never to buy a Glaswegian a beer because they'll never leave you and won't shut up (and you can't understand them anyway). Did some scotch tours. Drove a sports car on wrong side of road without anyone in passenger seat screaming at me. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Sounds great! But it's the other side of the road, not the wrong side.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,635,623 times
I prefer traveling alone -- I don't have to worry about someone else's enjoyment, and I can do what pleases me.

That said, I don't travel just to sightsee and wander. When I travel, it's for some purpose: to do volunteer work, or to go to a conference for something I'm interested in, or to study a foreign language, or to visit family.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 AM

9,207 posts, read 8,298,253 times
Yes, I love to go to NYC by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or