U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 05:50 PM

549 posts, read 437,189 times

Advertisements

I haven't but I absolutely would, no question about it. I'd love to explore some totally new place all on my own, at my own pace...just do whatever the heck I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:54 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,550,446 times
I've taken many solo trips to Europe because I like visiting European cities and few of my friends and family are into spending money on that kind of vacation. I enjoy taking day tours with guides (or headphones) for their educational purposes (especially the guided buses that you can get off and on again all day) so I never really feel alone. I go all day at my own pace and crash in the hotel at night and sleep blissfully. If I want to spend eight hours in one museum or leave in the middle of something that's not meeting my expectations, I can do it. I am also able to shop on a whim without annoying male companions who roll their eyes at the sound of "gift shop." Of course, as a woman traveling alone I take great care with my safety. I don't get drunk, stay out late, or tell strangers where I'm staying. I get a hotel room that's not isolated, make sure the locks work properly, and check in regularly with someone at home.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 PM

11,127 posts, read 8,537,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You do realize that the public transport over there is rubbish and you're too young to hire a car? You have to be 25.
Not true. Most larger cities have decent public transportation for a tourist. NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Washington, DC, San Francisco, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. Walkable with trains and buses.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,550,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not true. Most larger cities have decent public transportation for a tourist. NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Washington, DC, San Francisco, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. Walkable with trains and buses.
I agree. I've taken dozens of trips to New York, Chicago, and Washington, DC, as well as multiple trips to Boston, Philadelphia. and San Francisco, and I have rarely had my car with me. I fly there and use public transportation. Subways, buses, the trolley in San Francisco, taxis, and limos to and from the airport. You can use cabs in New Orleans because they're not that expensive and places you would want to go in the city aren't far flung. Easy and safer than driving if you don't know your way around. About the only major American city where I can't imagine not having a car is Los Angeles. There's even efficient public transportation in Phoenix as long as you stay in the city and/or Tempe. I have also never rented a car in any European cities. I take trains between cities and public transportation in whatever city I'm in.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,379,733 times
I've traveled to Australia, Africa, Alaska and the Grand Canyon by myself.

On the Australian trip I joined groups for day trips here and there, but most of the time I was on my own. It was a wonderful vacation.

On the African trip I met up with two different groups but also had time alone before, during and at the end of the trip. The sights were amazing, though traveling in a group for weeks on end was a bit too much togetherness for me.

On the Alaska and Grand Canyon trips I was alone the entire time, and I had a blast.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,590,780 times
I was thinking about moving to West Virginia or Pittsburgh from Jersey. So I took a 5-day trip by myself. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

West Virginia is beautiful, and has a lot of "hidden gems" and Pittsburgh was a really interesting city. I ended up moving to Colorado because it suited me better, but the trip itself was pretty awesome. I posted a sort of "travel log" on Facebook and all my friends were commenting on it and asking questions.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
New Zealand for three weeks once. I stayed in youth hostels and made friends along the way.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:34 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Maybe I occasionally found myself on the wrong side of the other side of the road :-)
I found it pretty easy to get used to since you're sitting on the other side of the car. And on a two lane road you always sit next to the centre line.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I've traveled to Australia, Africa, Alaska and the Grand Canyon by myself.

On the Australian trip I joined groups for day trips here and there, but most of the time I was on my own. It was a wonderful vacation.

On the African trip I met up with two different groups but also had time alone before, during and at the end of the trip. The sights were amazing, though traveling in a group for weeks on end was a bit too much togetherness for me.

On the Alaska and Grand Canyon trips I was alone the entire time, and I had a blast.
Which countries in Africa did you visit?

Old 08-09-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That's cities. If you want to see any other parts of the country, smaller towns, the landscape, etc, public transport is rubbish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or